PDA

View Full Version : Vintage machine tools - a whole factory full - about to go to scrap

jhovel
15th September 2011, 10:42 PM
A litlle background: here in Bendigo, Central Victoria, the was an engineering works called "Golden City Implements" established around 1860s. It was a working concern until 18 or so years ago, when the two remaining owners in their mid-70s were still doing smaller works and jobbing. Their last time I was there a few times and marvelled at their machinery. The two guys retired and closed the factory - and died about 15 years ago.
Since then all doorways and windows were boarded up and I assumed the building was emptyand all the machines had been disposed of. The building continued to deteriorate, with half of the roof falling in last year.

As I drove past today (during working hours in a company car), I noticed an open gate and a car parked inside the yard. SO I stopped and wandered in - as you do....

The guy working there turned out to be a descendent and an old workmate of mine from 35 years ago - and we recognised each other!

I asked to have a sticky-beak and he suggested I didn't hurt myself and to be careful where I walked :roll:
I couldn't believe my eyes! The whole place was as I last saw it 18 years ago! :o
So here are the photos.... from my phone I'm afraid.... via photobucket:

http://photobucket.com/golden_city_implements

You will have to figure out which photo goes with which machine below :U

Everything is for sale at scrap metal price - or reasonable offers.
I'll try and list and estimate sizes of anything I could recognise:

1. Victoria Horizontal Mill - 6' table, vertical head on floor next to it.
2. Norton Cylindrical grinder - 16" or bigger x 2" wide wheel, about 4' between centres
3. Kearney & Trecker, Milwaukee vertical mill - at least 6' table, about 9' high - massive!
4. KM-700A Kai Ming Industrial vertical spindle surface grinder, about 3' table, no chuck
5. Van Norman Re-Li-o No 2 wet cylindical grinder - about 2'6" between centres. Missing drive motor, cross feed, long fee handle, tailstock - no other tooling to go with it
6. Huge double-ended shear - about 12" capacity
7. 2x plate/sheet rollers - about 12' and 8' capacity
8. Raboma radial arm drill - HUGE, column diameter about 14" or more, electrical panel missing
9. 3x large lathes - estimated 12', 8' and 5' between centres - didn't check makers' names
10. Norton horizontal grinder - 12' bed, 5' electromagnetic chuck, looks in reasonable condition and complete
11. Smith & Mills shaper - about 3' stroke, looks complete
12. HUGE Pearson horizontal borer - about 6' square table, 5'6" high angle table
13. Fairfax shaper - about 2' stroke, looks complete, I saw that one working 18 years ago.
14. & 15. heavy duty power hack saws, I'd say 16" and 14" blade lengths. Smaller one lacking motor.
16. mechanical brake press - about 12' opr more die capacity
17. capstan lathe with cut-off cross slide - looks like about 12" capaciti and 10" centre height
18. large hydraulic press

There are also several forging hammers, one with a flywheel the other with a cylinder, possibly steam or air.
There is also a large compressor - stands about 6' high, maybe 2'6" diameter tank.

Tons of stock steel - can't tell and no-one knows what it is - I suspect largely hot rolled, but I remember them forging crow bars out of hex and there are several racks of various sized hex.... I suspect some stronger steel than MS....

There is also a container full of welding rod packets, and black smith tools, tongs etc,

I'm happy to go on Satruday, their first sales day (for corrugated iron) and check out more detail of any machines of interest.
I'm picking up a floor pedestal drill press I've chalked my name on and a twin to my Macson machine vice....

The executors name is Lance Osborne and I have his contact details if someone wants to deal with him directly. He's now a retired sheetmetal worker and draughtsman/designer.

Cheers,
Joe

neksmerj
15th September 2011, 10:52 PM
Oh dear, how sad to see the end of an era. I hope everything finds a new home.

Well done with your post.

Ken

Bryan
15th September 2011, 11:22 PM
I'd love that K&T - or any mill - but I'm broke! :weeping2:

Good on you Joe. Hope all that stuff finds homes.

Edit: Ken, what's happened to you? Have you built that damned shed yet? :)

jhovel
16th September 2011, 12:21 AM
I'm thinking more and more about asking Lance for a value for the Van Norman cylindrical grinder.... if I can sneak it into my shed without my wife knowing.... :)
Because the headstock has a rotating base, and I think I can see a way of rotating the grinding spindle and base, I think that would make a very rigid tool and cutter grinder - without loosing the ability to do cylindrical grinding.
BTW, I found a 1922 ad for it in Google....
Cheers,
Joe

matthew_g
16th September 2011, 01:13 AM
I want that SHAPER......It would look great sitting next to my Dougles..

jhovel
16th September 2011, 01:32 AM
I want that SHAPER......It would look great sitting next to my Dougles..
Which one?
Joe

RayG
16th September 2011, 02:05 AM
Hi Joe,

What a find,:2tsup: it looks like it's just been sitting there all these years...

There's quite a few good restoration projects sitting in there, is the sale this coming Saturday?

Regards
Ray

jhovel
16th September 2011, 02:16 AM
No Ray, they have not set a date for the final sale yet - but they will sell individual items from this Saturday. They seem to beliwve no-one want any of these machines and were going to get a scap metal dealer in. I suggest you come over if you can - I was going to give you a ring tomorrow....

RayG
16th September 2011, 02:19 AM
Hi Joe,

Ok, Saturday is good. I'll give you a call tomorrow to sort out details.

Regards
Ray
PS I just sent you an email. That insert looks good. :2tsup:

.RC.
16th September 2011, 09:24 AM
Some more pictures would be nice...

All that stuff it too far away for me to be interested in..

The big norton surface grinder looks interesting...

Look similar to this one Norton 10" x 60" Surface Grinder - YouTube

simonl
16th September 2011, 09:35 AM
That's amazing! Was Edward Scissorhands living there as well!

I bet that place has a story to tell. I hope alot of the stuff find new homes and gets re-used/rebuilt.

Cheers,

Simon

Grandad-5
16th September 2011, 10:32 AM
Hey Joe, I too had always assumed that building had been cleaned out and one day the bulldozers would come in and finish what nature had started.
I find it hard to comprehend all that stuff sitting there not 20 mtrs from where you drive by every day.
I can think of at least 6 people here in Bendigo that would love some of it without thinking too hard on it.
I suppose a clearance sale will be out of the question for the executors?
Would be hard to make the building a safe place to invite the public, and it would cost a fortune to relocate somewhere else.
I can see the executors dillema.
Is there any woodworking stuff that you can see?
Is he opening it up to everyone this Sat?
Cheers
Jim

PDW
16th September 2011, 11:04 AM
I'm happy to go on Satruday, their first sales day (for corrugated iron) and check out more detail of any machines of interest.
I'm picking up a floor pedestal drill press I've chalked my name on and a twin to my Macson machine vice....

The executors name is Lance Osborne and I have his contact details if someone wants to deal with him directly. He's now a retired sheetmetal worker and draughtsman/designer.

Cheers,
Joe

Thank God they didn't have a metal planer....

How big did you say that HBM was, Joe?

PDW

.RC.
16th September 2011, 01:46 PM
Thank God they didn't have a metal planer....

PDW

That's right, otherwise we would be fighting over it... :D

matthew_g
16th September 2011, 02:53 PM
Which one?
Joe
I don't care, But I'm :madashell:I don't live in the area any more because transport would be a problem.....

RayG
16th September 2011, 06:50 PM
Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out how this works... I thought some kind of horizontal boring machine, but the cutter looks to be off center?

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee358/joe_hovel/Golden%20CIty%20Implements/15092011429.jpg

I think any machine that comes with it's own ladder, is worth a closer look :)

Regards
Ray

pipeclay
16th September 2011, 06:53 PM
It appears to be a Horizontal borer,they were probably facing.

.RC.
16th September 2011, 07:16 PM
That is the facing head Ray, it is essentially the same as the boring and facing head you see on a milling machines..

It can feed outwards as it spins...

RayG
16th September 2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks .RC and Pipeclay,

Ok, now I get it... yes It's exactly the same as a boring head, I'm just used to them only being 3 or 4 inches across, not 2 feet across! :)

Regards
Ray

AndrewOC
16th September 2011, 07:43 PM
G'day Joe,
Thanks eternally for bring this stash to everyone's attention.
My interests are in any forging/blacksmithing gear, the hammers and forging rollers sound very interesting. Photos of each of them would be much appreciated!

Ta heaps.
AndrewOC

neksmerj
16th September 2011, 07:46 PM
Bryan,

Yeh, I'm still around, just suffering from a little forum burn out. In fact, computer burn out. I use the bloody thing all day drawing even though I'm retired.

The shed is still on the drawing board, just can't make some final decisions.
My Hercus 9" restoration project has ground to a halt, same with the Arboga project.

Kidney failure and dialysis have eaten into my free time. All is not lost, just need a boot up the back side.

Ken

.RC.
16th September 2011, 07:54 PM
Thanks .RC and Pipeclay,

not 2 feet across! :)

Regards
Ray

mandrinadora richards [email protected] - YouTube

THey would be getting a pretty crappy finish going by the sound the cutter is making..

jatt
16th September 2011, 09:00 PM
I'm assuming thats the shed near Spotlite and the motor bike joint (at the lites)?? any idea when the gates would open, will be kicking around that part of town first up tomm.

Grandad-5
16th September 2011, 09:51 PM
I'm assuming thats the shed near Spotlite and the motor bike joint (at the lites)?? any idea when the gates would open, will be kicking around that part of town first up tomm.

That's the place.
I drove past this morning around 11 o'clock, gates were open and a few vehicles there. Couldn't stop to have a look.

jhovel
16th September 2011, 10:21 PM
Lance told me they were open around 10am in the morning.
... and yes, it's the old tin factory in Eaglehawk Road opposite the bike shop and Spotlight.
Cheers,
Joe

jatt
16th September 2011, 10:38 PM
cool. Thanks

Machtool
17th September 2011, 10:07 AM
If any of you blokes are going there for an inspection, can you take a few more photos of the 3 centre lathes for me. And see if the spindles still turn.

I was over at my metal sprayers yesterday, and they asked me about finding a lathe headstock. They want something rough to hold shafts and rotate them slowly to spray them.

They would be happy to take a full machine and just use the bits they want.

Regards Phil.

xXvapourXx
17th September 2011, 11:43 AM
WHY MUST I LIVE IN ADELAIDE :(
so many machines, its like a metal workers paradise :D

Mike4
17th September 2011, 07:39 PM
Could you send me the model of that HBM ,I would like to know how heavy it is , cant get there to inspect due to work commitments at the moment.
Michael

jhovel
17th September 2011, 10:11 PM
Right then. RayG, Josh, his son and I met there today and inspected the place some more.
A few things have already gone - NOT for scrap!
One of the shapers (the Fairfax I think), the compressor, one of the power hacksaws and lots of small stuff. The Victoria horizontal mill with vertical head and divider has been claimed by one if the descendants in the family.
I took home the Servian pedestal drill and the Van Norman Cylindrical grinder - along with a piston grinding attachment, essentially a cam grinding attachment, and a Macson milling vice, oh and a couple of milling cutters and a strange adjustable 2-point boring head.
I'll put details of these purchases in a separate thread.
Ray got a few goodies as well - no doubt he'll report for himself shortly.

Sorry Phil, didn't see your post until after we got back.... however the lathes are still there. All seem to have been usable when stopped, Ray tried turning the spindle of the biggest one and it and all the levers worked as expected; I turned the spindle of the capstan lathe - that's the shortest and lightest and has been moved yesterday to make it accessible for transportation.

Here are a few more photos of the blacksmith tools. There are no swages that I could see and the plate rollers are still there. I didn't find any 'forging rollers' which I imagine are narrower than plate rollers.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/61256-jhovel/albums/black-smith-tools-golden-city-implements/7058-17092011445-custom.jpg
http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/61256-jhovel/albums/black-smith-tools-golden-city-implements/7057-17092011446-custom.jpg
http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/61256-jhovel/albums/black-smith-tools-golden-city-implements/7056-17092011447-custom-3.jpg

AndrewOC
17th September 2011, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the tong pics Joe.
I'd love to know more about the forging hammers, with them I make the tongs;)
regards,
AndrewOC

jhovel
17th September 2011, 11:28 PM
Andrew,
which forging hammers? Where did you see them? I don't think I came across any. Or do you mean the steam/air hammers I mentioned? They are about 10 feet tall and look very heavy - that's all I know about them.
Are you thinking of buying them? Lance told me the scrappies will come in about 5 weeks....

AndrewOC
18th September 2011, 02:01 AM
Yep, steam/air hammers;
"There are also several forging hammers, one with a flywheel the other with a cylinder, possibly steam or air."
... or whatever is there ;)

An approximate measurement of the top hammer block and piston rod of a steam hammer would give its' rating (usually in hundredweight/ cwt).
This will help to consider if me fetching them is possible!
Pics and details of these and a potential 'flywheel' hammer would also be much appreciated.
ta,
AndrewOC

RayG
18th September 2011, 12:58 PM
If any of you blokes are going there for an inspection, can you take a few more photos of the 3 centre lathes for me. And see if the spindles still turn.

I was over at my metal sprayers yesterday, and they asked me about finding a lathe headstock. They want something rough to hold shafts and rotate them slowly to spray them.

They would be happy to take a full machine and just use the bits they want.

Regards Phil.

Hi Phil,

Sorry, I didn't see your post before leaving, but I did have a bit of a look at the bigger of the three lathes.
http://www.backsaw.net/pics/Misc/DSCN0708.JPG

http://www.backsaw.net/pics/Misc/DSCN0711.JPG
Spindle seems ok, everything moves that I tried. I reckon a steam clean, and a bit of derusting and you could power it up.

This is the headstock on one of the smaller ones

http://www.backsaw.net/pics/Misc/DSCN0712.JPG

Regards
Ray

RayG
18th September 2011, 01:04 PM
Yep, steam/air hammers;
"There are also several forging hammers, one with a flywheel the other with a cylinder, possibly steam or air."
... or whatever is there ;)

An approximate measurement of the top hammer block and piston rod of a steam hammer would give its' rating (usually in hundredweight/ cwt).
This will help to consider if me fetching them is possible!
Pics and details of these and a potential 'flywheel' hammer would also be much appreciated.
ta,
AndrewOC

Hi Andrew,

I'm not sure exactly what I was looking at, so you might get a better idea from the pictures.
I concentrated a bit on the smaller of the two hammers, the big one you would have to get way back even to get a picture of it.

http://www.backsaw.net/pics/Misc/DSCN0716.JPG

http://www.backsaw.net/pics/Misc/DSCN0718.JPG

http://www.backsaw.net/pics/Misc/DSCN0719.JPG

http://www.backsaw.net/pics/Misc/DSCN0720.JPG

http://www.backsaw.net/pics/Misc/DSCN0721.JPG

The big one, was immense, I can't see it being moved without very costly cranes and transport, the smaller one might be a proposition..

Regards
Ray

RayG
18th September 2011, 01:11 PM
More abandonded factory gems..

This was sitting over in one corner
http://www.backsaw.net/pics/Misc/DSCN0727.JPG

http://www.backsaw.net/pics/Misc/DSCN0726.JPG

http://www.backsaw.net/pics/Misc/DSCN0724.JPG

http://www.backsaw.net/pics/Misc/DSCN0725.JPG

You get mixed emotions, seeing something like this, a once beautiful precision machine, neglected and abandoned in a collapsing tin shed...

It would be a great restoration project, but not for me, I'm afraid..

Regards
Ray

matthew_g
18th September 2011, 01:17 PM
Brings tears to your eyes...

Dave J
18th September 2011, 01:20 PM
Hi Ray,
I can understand your emotions, that machine once came in brand new and shiny, and everyone would have been exited to use it.

RC
Did you see that big horizontal in the back ground in Rays first picture? Might be the cheapest one you will ever get.

Dave

RayG
18th September 2011, 01:22 PM
I managed to grab a few bits and pieces,

A small angle plate 12"x9"x15" complete with rusted on gum leaves..

http://www.backsaw.net/pics/Misc/DSCN0733.JPG

And a few cope and drag sets, including a nice aluminium snap flask
http://www.backsaw.net/pics/Misc/DSCN0735-1.JPG

I looked for swage plates and hardy hole fittings but, although there were a couple of buckets of hardy hole bits it was just as we were leaving and the guy wanted $5 each for them, so I passed on the offer. No anvils.

There were casting patterns everywhere.. like this pile in one corner.
http://www.backsaw.net/pics/Misc/DSCN0728.JPG

On the way out of Bendigo, Josh spotted a cast iron fence post that matched the wooden patterns he saw in the factory..

Thanks to Joe for having the presence of mind to stop and have a look the other day.. :2tsup: at least maybe a small fraction of what was once there will be saved from the scrap dealer.

Regards
Ray

.RC.
18th September 2011, 01:35 PM
You get mixed emotions, seeing something like this, a once beautiful precision machine, neglected and abandoned in a collapsing tin shed...

It would be a great restoration project, but not for me, I'm afraid..

Regards
Ray

They are a bit of a two edges sword.... A worn machine like that has limited use in my opinion.. I have had my share of rooted machines and in my opinion if you can avoid them they are not worth the trouble of owning unless they are small or you have the means to recondition them properly...

Dave J
18th September 2011, 01:51 PM
Nice angle plate Ray,:2tsup: A bit of a sand blast with a trip through the surface grinder and it will be like new. I have been keeping my eye out for something similar myself, around 12x12 would suit me.

Dave

RayG
18th September 2011, 01:58 PM
Hi Ray,
I can understand your emotions, that machine once came in brand new and shiny, and everyone would have been exited to use it.

RC
Did you see that big horizontal in the back ground in Rays first picture? Might be the cheapest one you will ever get.

Dave

Hi Dave,

That was the "Victoria" mill, someone had already written their name on it in chalk. It looked like a pretty good mill.

I think a lot of machines have gone out the door just in the last few days. Word get's around.

Regards
Ray

Dave J
18th September 2011, 02:02 PM
I think it was Welder I spoke to the other day about remembering a lot of non members read this forum as well, and to keep his cheap supplier to himself or the guy will be over run with inquires.

Dave

AndrewOC
18th September 2011, 03:57 PM
Joe and Ray,
PM sent,
dibs on the hammer!
A. ;)

PDW
18th September 2011, 08:19 PM
That's right, otherwise we would be fighting over it... :D

Why didn't you buy the planer over in Adelaide, advertised on Ebay a few weeks ago?

PDW

.RC.
18th September 2011, 09:02 PM
Too far away, too big, not open sided, and was a no name item...

There is one for sale at newmac machinery right now...A Summerskill on their milling machine page..

PDW
20th September 2011, 06:30 PM
Too far away, too big, not open sided, and was a no name item...

All that and expensive which is why I didn't bid either.

PDW

jhovel
25th September 2011, 09:05 PM
RayG, Josh and I met there again yesterday - ostensibly to pick up Ray's steel. I couldn't help myself again of course and bought half a dozen T&C grinding wheels, a few reamers and a bit of steel..... I have to stop going back.... no really!
Here is a shot of the front of the building. You can celarly see that there are at least 2 previous company names there. We learnt that it was originally set up by George Lansell - the gold baron of Bendigo around 1860. The father of the two guys who owned it until it closed was the foreman, then manager in the early 1900s and bought it off George Lansell.