PDA

View Full Version : Spax Screws

Chris Parks
17th September 2011, 11:38 PM
I became aware of Spax screws a few years ago and even inquired in this forum if anyone had used them with no success. I recently became aware that they were available in Oz so I cleared the moths out of the wallet and bought some of the MDF type.

The reason I became interested in them originally was the drive system, they use a Torx drive system with a centre spiggot to locate the driver and I thought it should be a good system. I have used all types of screw drives including a very large number of square drive and I wanted to compare with what I knew already.

I have just come in from the workshop after using them for the first time and all I can say is WOW. They have a very sharp flute on the end of the screw which drills into the material thus negating pre-drilling with a serrated thread form to cut the material as they go in and the underside of the head has a cutting action as well to form the counter sink. In my view square drive is good, a major leap over phillips but these are better than square drive by the same margin. I ran some of them into hardwood and they just kept on going below the surface with no sign of stopping.

Highly recommended.

SPAX Screws Australia Stainless steel screws for timber & decking (http://www.spaxpacific.com)

Usual disclaimers, no connection with the seller etc.

NCArcher
18th September 2011, 10:33 AM
They look good Chris. How's the cost compare? and where do you get 'em?

Chris Parks
18th September 2011, 03:34 PM
Tony, I honestly can't compare them to square drive as some years ago I bought boxes and boxes from Sachy's and I'm still using them. recently I had to build a lot of stuff and bought some chinese made phillips for about $4 a box. These cost me $95 including P&H for four boxes from the NSW distributor.