PDA

View Full Version : swore I'd never do it but.............it was free

Rowan
8th January 2005, 09:08 AM
After years of scoffing and ranting that I'd never turn wood, I wasnt interested etc the other day my mate offered me a free lathe. It was his grandfathers and it was the one he had learnt on. If I didnt want it he was just going to store it so I figured what the heck.

Now I must say its fun.....not as much fun as power carving but I do enjoy it even if I had to alter the locations of stuff in 3 different sheds to fit it all in. Here are pictures of my first piece I tried. Unfortunately I dont have a chuck or even a face plate so I can only turn between the 2 centers. What I did with this piece was to use a forstner but to hollow out the jar(term used loosely) but it worked ok. I rough sanded it and oiled (linseed) it and havent waxed it or anything.

rsser
8th January 2005, 09:37 AM
Nice work Rowan. Welcome to the addiction! Counselling services are available ;-}

(on what tools to buy, what timbers to turn, and how to sneak the stuff into the shed).

gatiep
8th January 2005, 01:13 PM
Yeah welcome to the crazy world Rowan....................your eventual addiction can be treated...............first step in treatment program is to get a 4 jaw scroll chuck.................your life will never be the same......only the shed with the lathe, bench grinder, bandsaw and woodpile will be frequented in future, so group those tool together.

The hollowing was ingenious, so imagine what you could come up with, if you use a chuck.

You only need 30.....like the advert says...........30 minutes each day.......or more if you have time will keep u in the habit.

Enjoy and post more results please

:)

smidsy
8th January 2005, 02:01 PM
Hei Rowan,
I came to this site back in May as an occasional wood worker looking for advice about some first time biscuit joins I wanted to do to make a table.

While surfing one night I had a read of the turning section and bang - at first I thought I'd been bitten by a shark but the bite was way too wimpy, I soon realised it was the wood turning bug.

That's some nice work there mate, welcome to the crew.
Cheers
Paul