PDA

View Full Version : a little bowl holder

hughie
19th September 2011, 10:11 AM
Here we go I thought the commercially available one was a bit over the top price wise. So I had a go at making my own out of a tow ball and scrap steel lying around. All in all it cost me the oprice of the tow ball $13.50. I had to turn down the tow ball ito give more swing and chop the the threaded portion off.

The screw insert is for my SN2 chucks and its an old Chinese insert that I picked up. Hopelessly out of true, but ideal for this application.

Sawdust Maker
19th September 2011, 02:12 PM
Interesting

is the idea to clamp the bigger plate to a workbench or something?

tea lady
19th September 2011, 02:23 PM
:think: OK! Where does the bowl go? :pi:

Grommett
19th September 2011, 04:50 PM
Nup, youv'e got me foxed :? Is this for holding carving work? Does a chuck go on the threaded bit and is there a stand or :?

turnerted
19th September 2011, 05:41 PM
You've got four of us scratching our heads now Hughie.
Ted

Sawdust Maker
19th September 2011, 05:46 PM
I'd suggest a teknatool chuck goes on the threaded end, holding the bowl on a spigot and the other end clamped to a bench or something. Thus allowing the turning to be further worked on off the lathe. For pyrography, carving or some other enhancement

here's (http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/Carving_Mount.pdf) a link to the Vermec version

Mrs Blackie
19th September 2011, 05:52 PM
It looks like something from out of space? no?? got me big time here.:?

RETIRED
19th September 2011, 07:23 PM
Nick gets the Elephant stamp.:D

Wood Nut
19th September 2011, 08:48 PM
Once again you have come up with a clever way around an expensive problem. Well done Hughie.

Cheers, Paul:U

TTIT
19th September 2011, 11:48 PM
Way too flash Hughie :2tsup: How solidly does it lock???

hughie
20th September 2011, 12:54 AM
[Way too flash Hughie :2tsup: How solidly does it lock

Like the rock of Gibraltar with not much pressure from the bottom screw. I am quite surprised how well it locks up. :o :2tsup: As I mentioned its knock off of the new kelton jig and at $500 its a bit much for this little black duck. :U This drove the project, necessity is the mother of... etc ,all up about 6-8 hours work over a several days.

Yes I will screw my SN2 chucks to the screwed portion. Its a insert that has been welded to the bottom of the tow ball.

As to how I fix the plate, at the moment I going to hold it in the vice, down the track I intend to build some srt of purpose built bench/seating arrangment when I figure out what I want exactly.

For those who struggle to visualize it I will post a pic tomorrow with chuck etc.

hughie
20th September 2011, 09:28 AM
Here we go,its fairly easy now to see how it all works. I have mounted a my small SN2 chuck to give you an idea of its function.

Grommett
20th September 2011, 12:38 PM
Thank you. It was the holding the base in a vice bit that I didn't see:doh:

Sturdee
20th September 2011, 04:39 PM
Very nice, something to keep in mind if, and when, I might like to do some pyrography.

Peter.

dr4g0nfly
21st September 2011, 02:59 AM
Ahh, Ich verstehen

wheelinround
24th September 2011, 07:40 PM
Hughie gee I go a way for a few days and out comes all the good stuff now what RPM will you be turning this at would you call it an off centre or duck for cover chuck:;:roll:

hughie
25th September 2011, 10:56 AM
:U Yeah, its my off centre random eliptical oval turning chuck also known as the Kamikazi Chuck.

munruben
26th September 2011, 09:49 AM
:U Yeah, its my off centre random eliptical oval turning chuck also known as the Kamikazi Chuck.Everybody should have one.:):2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
26th September 2011, 10:31 AM
far cheaper to hold whatever improperly in your current chuck