PDA

View Full Version : replacement sanding sleeves

j&j
19th September 2011, 03:13 PM
Gday, I would appreciate your help on 2 subjects, Where to obtain replacement sleeve's for 2" long sanding drums. 1/2" 3/4" & 1' diameter. 80 & 120 grit.
Also any recomendations for slow setting glue for intarsia project's.
Thank's in advance,
j&j

AlexS
19th September 2011, 06:46 PM
The sanding sleeves sound like the ones for the Carbatec sets. If so, they sell the replacement sleeves.
If you need a slow-setting glue, Techniglue or another epoxy is the go. You can also tint it so any squeeze-through isn't so obvious.

Mr Brush
19th September 2011, 07:44 PM
I use both Techniglue and West System epoxies.

Both can be tinted to hide the glue line.

Both can also be used either with the standard hardener or a slow curing hardener. Only problem with the Techniglue is that (locally) I've only found the slow curing hardener in a LARGE tub (several lifetime's worth :oo:).

West System is better in this respect as the same resin can be used with standard, slow cure, or ultra slow cure hardener. All are available in small tubs.......:2tsup:

Mr Brush
19th September 2011, 08:12 PM
Based on using the standard West System 105 resin, this website shows the different hardeners that can be used depending on desired pot life/working time:-

West System Epoxy | Page 1 of 1 (http://www.cstsales.com/west_system_epoxy.html)

I've used the 205 (standard) and 206 (slow cure). Haven't tried the 209 (ultra slow cure) yet. Note the different mixing ratio for the 209; the 205 and 206 are both 5:1, but the 209 is 3:1

Carbatec (and several others) keep a good selection of West System resin and hardeners.

j&j
21st September 2011, 05:50 PM
AlexS, Thank's for taking the time to help with my query's. j&j

j&j
21st September 2011, 05:52 PM
Mr Brush, Thank's for your advice, I will try your recomendation's. j&j