PDA

View Full Version : A platter with fault!!!!

vk4
19th September 2011, 05:16 PM
Hi All,

here are a few Pic's of a Platter I am turning , it has a couple of faults :o:o,

What do you guy's think???

Jeff

vk4

turnerted
19th September 2011, 05:33 PM
Thats not a fault . It's a feature.As long as it all holds together it looks great. Camphor?

Mrs Blackie
19th September 2011, 05:45 PM
That looks amazing mate! its so not a fault its such a beautiful feature well to me it is anyway, your showing the most beautiful side of nature, it has character:U

vk4
19th September 2011, 06:44 PM
Yes:B, but if I had said A PLATTER WITH A FEATURE ,??

Yes it is Camphor:2tsup:, and is part of the base of the tree , the rest is fairly well dried (seasoned, ) but this is still wet as!!!! :no:

So far it has had the outside turned and sealed ,and I am still working on the inside , and I will post a couple of PIC's when finished..

Jeff
vk4

jefferson
19th September 2011, 06:50 PM
I love it when people start calling faults in the timber "feature". Often as not, it's an accident waiting to happen.

And that piece of camphor is no different to any other and is prone to falling apart, no matter how much CA you spread.

Good luck. Hopefully, it's not a lesson you learn the hard way.

BTW, there were some nice side grain boxes to be made out of the piece of CL!

Mrs Blackie
19th September 2011, 08:33 PM
It depends on how you look at it, though I see it as a feature but then again I dont have your experience, I think even if I did I would still see it as a feature like I said it depends how you look at things:)

tea lady
19th September 2011, 08:36 PM
Not a platter unless its over 300mm wide. :pi:

:D:p

Jeff, live a little. :p

vk4
19th September 2011, 09:54 PM
Sorry:doh: it's only about 230mm in dia, and 25mm thick before hollowing,:D I still have a few mm to clean out, but I believe that there is enough timber to allow this , I am checking frequently , as I work.:2tsup:

I know how a feature can suddenly become a disaster, and ruin a lovely piece.

So I'll call it a shallow DISH , shall I:p

Jeff
vk4

tea lady
19th September 2011, 10:52 PM
So I'll call it a shallow DISH , shall I:p

Jeff
vk4:DOK! :cool: (Its only the rules from the national wood turning exhibition. We can ignore it if we like.:D )

I am going to experiment with darning holes with wool or wire. Combine my other other craft with wood.:U I seem to have a few bits of wood with holes in them.:rolleyes:

Avery
20th September 2011, 12:59 AM
Not a platter unless its over 300mm wide. :pi:

I have a few "things" that I have made that are only 250 - 290 mm . I really, really wanted them to be platters.

They're good to look at and you can put cakes on them and everything.

So I guess size really does matter...

Ozkaban
20th September 2011, 08:54 AM
Looks great :2tsup:

230mm is fine. Most people wouldn't know what to do with 300mm anyway :;

bellyup
20th September 2011, 02:50 PM
Looking Good.
I turned by first bit of C.L. the other day and it was a great timber to turn - especially during hayfever season!!
Bruce.

vk4
20th September 2011, 04:18 PM
Yes it can clear the sinus's very quickly, especially if green.

Jeff

vk4
20th September 2011, 07:06 PM
HI all, here is the finished "Platter"??

I was amazed that overnight the timber moved and changed set even though I had left it in the SCROLL CHUCK, when I spun-it up, it was again out of round , .

However I left the edge as it was , and filled the small defects in the bottom, where the grain was lifting, then skimmed it with a round nose scraper ,VERY CAREFULLY!!!!.

. IT was then sanded and 3 coats of Blond shellac, then Shella wax finish 2 coats and hand buffed on the lathe.

smiife
20th September 2011, 08:20 PM
Hi Jeff ,
Call it a large bowl or a platter,what ever it is, it looks good:2tsup:
well done ,great job:U
cheers smiife

Sawdust Maker
20th September 2011, 09:24 PM
Nice bit of wood

I like what you've done with it

excuse my playing with your piccies but thought I saw a face in the timber so I've spun it around and cropped it a bit (then a bit more)

what do you think?

182217 182218 182219

I thought at first Einstein but now I'm not so sure.

vk4
20th September 2011, 11:29 PM
reminds me of the face of a sea creature I once saw:D:D:D

Jeff

Greg Ward
21st September 2011, 09:28 AM
Nick,
You've got too much time on your hands...........
Greg

hughie
21st September 2011, 09:59 AM
You've got too much time on your hands...........

Thats what its all about :U when you retire :2tsup:. He's probably busier than ever :D

Sawdust Maker
21st September 2011, 11:16 AM
Thats what its all about :U when you retire :2tsup:. He's probably busier than ever :D

blood oath :doh:

APD
21st September 2011, 11:40 AM
Looks like He who should not be named, Lord Voldemort

man from uncle
21st September 2011, 02:22 PM
Its beautiful. I love those sort of faults in timber. I have a bowl turned recently out a Jarrah with just such a fault. because it is a dark wood I think I will try to inset it with some pewter. Already experimented with pewter, so will be trying this week. Sillver pewter in the holes of dark timber is awesome.

vk4
10th October 2011, 10:43 PM
The platter has been sitting on the Table for 3 weeks and has warped :oo::oo::oo:, could not believe it , the timber is sealed with 3 coats of Shellac, and 4 coats of Shella wax.

Aw well these things happen.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: