PDA

View Full Version : re-doing a fireplace surround

Cassandra
8th January 2005, 12:38 PM
The kitchen's finished. Now the MOTH has to do the lounge room. We have a fireplace that is painted brick. My question is this: Can we render over painted brick? I think a mahogany surround would look better but there's a lot of work in that and I am reluctant to nag too much. Besides, painted render looks good, I think. Any other ideas out there? I want a light and airy look in the lounge room so anything light coloured is better, perhaps? Also it has a wood burning stove already fitted into it, don't know if that matters but it might.
I like this forum. Got a lot of ideas for the kitchen, especially the downlights! What a long thread that was!
Happy New Year everyone.
Cassandra ;)

TheDad
8th January 2005, 12:45 PM
Well, my sugestion would be to burn it, but as a fireplace it might be difficult.

go and get some elbow grease, you will need it, paint stripper will be needed and then you will need to neutralise (is that how we spell it?) it with vinager and water.

a wire brush would be helpfull and lots of plastic sheeting or something to protect all around.

I am still trying to remove 100 years of varnish and paint off of my cedar mantle piece, after 3 years!!

good luck
ps just thought maybe a heat gun????

craigb
8th January 2005, 04:58 PM
My question is this: Can we render over painted brick?

No. You either need to remove all the paint or sparrow pick the brickwork with a scutch hammer so that there is a key for the render to stick to.

Platserboarding over it may be a possibility too.

wombat47
11th January 2005, 08:11 AM
You might be able to pick up a second hand mantle piece & surround to fit.

Or, reconsider making one. Go to http://www.porta.com.au/ideaCentreMI.asp
where you can download instructions. These surrounds are made "on the wall" - a little different from the original way of doing things but probably easier.

If you built from scratch as per Porta's products, you could finish in a lime or colour wash which would give you the desired light finish.