PDA

View Full Version : How to transfer Outlook folders from XP to Win7?

Woodwould
19th September 2011, 08:55 PM
I'm moving everything from a puter running XP onto a new puter running Win7, but I can't find a way of transfering my files and folders from Outlook on the XP puter to Outlook on the Win7 puter. I can drill down through Explorer in XP and find all the Outlook folders, but I don't seem to be able to do the same in Win7.

Any ideas please anyone?

Moe in QLD
19th September 2011, 09:39 PM
you need to copy your mail to personal folders then look for the .pst files
the contents can't be seen except in outlook (that i know of)
take a copy and transfer to the new computer in a similar location

sorry i can't be more specific i've done it before between computers a few years back but haven't done windows 7 yet

always copy never move...it's microsoft.... xp to 7 should be simple... so it won't be

good luck

chrisb691
19th September 2011, 10:41 PM
This is for Outlook 2007, but it should be somewhat similar for other versions.

1) in Outlook go to File-> Backup and press the 'Save Backup' button, which will make sure you have got everything.

2) When the backup is complete, go to File -> Data File Management. On the 'Data Files' tab, you will see the name of your backup file (prob Outlook.pst), and where the Pesonal Folders file is being stored at.

Copy this file to a flash drive, or external storage device.

In Outlook on the Windows 7 pc:-

3) Go to File -> Import and Export and select 'Import from another Program or File' -> Next

4) Scroll down and select 'Personal Folder file (.pst) -> Next

5) Browse to your external storage, and select the .pst file -> Next and follow the prompts.

Woodwould
19th September 2011, 11:57 PM
Thanks Chris, I'll do that and report back.

munruben
24th September 2011, 11:43 AM
Check out Windows easy transfer.. Start/search programs and files.

type in "Windows easy transfer" without the quotes of course.

Woodwould
24th September 2011, 03:25 PM
Successfully transfered thanks!