PDA

View Full Version : The dragon

Goonyella
8th January 2005, 03:51 PM
Just thought I would show off my dragon I did for the wife.
I am quite proud of the little fellow.
Also I was wondering how others glue there designs to the timber?
Steve.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=5903&stc=1

multinut
9th January 2005, 09:10 AM
goonyella
nice dragon
as for glueing
dont use straight pva as you need to sand alot afterwards
try spray adhesive from arts and craft suppliers

cheers
multinut
:cool:

oges
9th January 2005, 09:45 AM
Nice work on the dragon

Goonyella
10th January 2005, 08:50 PM
goonyella
nice dragon
as for glueing
dont use straight pva as you need to sand alot afterwards
try spray adhesive from arts and craft suppliers

cheers
multinut
:cool:
Thanks multinut.
I have tried some spray adhesives with little success. I read of an idea in a magazine of putting masking tape on the wood first and then gluing the design with the spray adhesive. It works but takes a bit to get rid of the masking tape after you have finished. Maybe I'm not cleaning the timber enought for the spray adhesive to work.
Steve.

Buzza
10th January 2005, 11:36 PM
Steve recently I've tried three glues for similar projects, PVA, hot glue gun stick, and a small type bottle of "craft glue" from the well known SPOTLIGHT chain. The only real failure here was the hot glue gun stick stuff. I donated a project for a fund raiser raffle, and it had popped off one of the items glued to the board. Spraying is messy, but the little nozzle on the craft glue bottle allows quite an accurate job, with a good hold.

One day I stumbled across a case of bourbon...and kept stumbling for several days thereafter.
- W.C. Fields

fxst
10th January 2005, 11:59 PM
Steve I use spray adhesive without fail.
what I do is spray the pattern and allow it to dry for about 10mins then apply another thin coat and immediatly put it on the timber. It sticks like to a blanket to remove I wipe it with shellite and it comes off clean as. Then wipe it again to get any glue residue off. it is even good on delicate items
Pete

oges
11th January 2005, 08:13 AM
I use Boyles spray adhesive from bunnies, just spray it on the pattern and apply to the timber. Removes easily.

Tikki
11th January 2005, 01:43 PM
That is really beautiful Steve. :) The colour variation across the timber gives it a lot of character. Re glues, I use spray adhesive bought from Cheap as Chips, about $4.95 a can. Like Pete, I use two coats, the first coat seals the paper making the second coat adhere extremely well for scrolling, but is easily removed with little or no residue. Good luck, and love your work.

Regards
Tikki

pedrofret
11th January 2005, 11:10 PM
I use masking tape, the cheapest I can find, itīs the one used by painters to protect doors, windows and such. Once the piece is cut the masking tape peels off very easily and leaves no residue at all. Have a look:

http://www.finescrollsaw.com/medusa.htm

Pedro.

Goonyella
13th January 2005, 04:01 PM
Thanks guys,
Will try your suggestions as soon as I get back to the shed.
Time as usual keeps running out for me. I'm sure the hours are getting shorter.
The timber used by the way was Camphor Laurel.
Steve.

Sprog
13th January 2005, 04:34 PM
Just thought I would show off my dragon I did for the wife.
I am quite proud of the little fellow.

Also I was wondering how others glue there designs to the timber?
Steve.

Nice dragon. :)

I use Clag glue, the craft stuff the kids use in school, not the pva. Works great and is cheap.
Just paint the back if the pattern with the Clag and stick it onto the wood.
To remove the patterns just cover with a damp cloth for a few seconds then peel off the pattern.
The wood just needs a light sanding before finishing.

rond
15th September 2005, 12:54 PM
Great work:)

I wonder what reaction I would get from my wife [of 42 years] if I made a 'Dragon for her :rolleyes:

oges
22nd September 2005, 09:17 AM
Go on, try it :D