PDA

View Full Version : Flame retardent vs. final finish

Mrs Blackie
21st September 2011, 11:25 PM
I don't know if I am in the right section of the forum, my apologies if I am, but I was thinking....I make candle holders and incense holders, to protect them and make it a bit safer for the consumer, if I could use a flame retardent and if I can will it clash with the finish, ie: carnauba/paraffin oil/shellac/ etc. etc. if anyone has an idea please because once again I over think and analyse so much that I confuse myself:U:doh:
Cheers!

dr4g0nfly
22nd September 2011, 06:05 AM
I don't know about your regs down-under but up here in England we cannot sell candlesticks without a metal interface between the (candle) wax and the wood.

Hence Candle Inserts, metal cups on Tea-Lights and for Church Candle sticks a Brass shield with a point sticking up from it.

On that score, any finish just needs to be able to have wax runs easily removed.

However, Wooden Incense Burners just have a catcher underneath for the ash. I've never seen one scorched so (and I've not stuck my finger into a burning on to prove this) I assume that the ash is cold by the time it falls. Therefore, most finishes should stand up to the job.

As for fire retardant finishes, I've never heard of one for wood I'm afraid. You might ask furniture makers, they have to make their chairs and Sofa's flame retardant.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd September 2011, 06:34 AM
D/Fly is spot on.

If you're making candlesticks to sell or give away, you need to include some sort of metal 'cup' or 'ring' for the candle to sit in.

Jim Carroll sells a small selection. (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/category/-candle-cups-etc)