PDA

View Full Version : Nirvana - Nevermind turns 20

Sir Stinkalot
24th September 2011, 10:24 AM
Last week the Stinkette and myself were in Seattle and whilst there we went out to the EMP museum first of all to look at the Gehry building and secondly to check out the collection.

As it happens we had the opportunity to relive our youth with the Nirvana: Taking Punk to the Masses exhibition having recently opened. To quote from the EMP website ..... "The exhibit features rare and unseen artifacts and photography from the band, their crews and families."

Anyway it was interesting to be able to experience the past again. After getting back we noticed that to celebrate the 20 year release of Nevermind there was a screening of the never before seen “Live At The Paramount”.

NIRVANA - LIVE AT THE PARAMOUNT TRAILER - YouTube (http://youtu.be/j2V0pWR6Glo)

We headed along to what was a strange event, watching a band play a live set from the comfort of a huge leather cinema chair, plenty of legroom, some chocolate and an ice coffee. After getting home at the ungodly hour of 10:00pm I had to tell the Stinkette that I was too old now to go out to rock music concerts!

It looks as if each decade has a defining music moment or movement, as Richard Kingsmill said in the introduction to the screening it ranges from Elvis to Beatles to punk, Michael Jackson and Madonna to grunge.

Lets hope there is something coming along soon to define the next age so it will not be:

Baby - Justin Bieber Parody - YouTube (http://youtu.be/3EcIiFTLLC4)

Cheer

A reflective Stinky.

corbs
24th September 2011, 11:07 AM
I still love this album along with Bleach & In Utero. Their unplugged album is pretty good to listen to when having a mellow session:wink:

Harry72
24th September 2011, 03:20 PM
Now Im startin too feel old

mattocks
24th September 2011, 08:55 PM
Nevermind is a great album and deserves its place in history. that being said I still prefer heaps of australlian stuff in front of it.

kraits
12th October 2011, 03:16 PM
how lucky are we to be that generation, just sat in old mates shed last night listening to ten then nirvana unplugged. few beers, started singing, amazing that ya still remember the words (most of them, and add my own in here and there)

nirvana and pearl jam's our generations beatles,

sir stinkalot, got any pics of your trip?

Sir Stinkalot
12th October 2011, 03:54 PM
Whilst I enjoy new music and hope to keep evolving, I too enjoyed listening to both Ten and Vs whilst at the gym last week. Being able to get lost in the music helps loose focus on the work being done on the bike / treadmill.

I have plenty of trip photos but it would depend on what you are after. I took a few shots inside the Nirvana exhibition, but I think most of it can be found on the EMP website. I took the photos so I could recall in another 20 years time what I had actually seen!

It was a buzz to see many of the guitars and demo tapes on display.