PDA

View Full Version : Cochlear Implant

DJ’s Timber
24th September 2011, 11:15 AM
Hi guys and gals,

Haven't being visiting the forum of much lately but thought I'd let you all know that I have just undergone a Cochlear Implant operation.

Wasn't scheduled to have it done yesterday, but they had a cancellation so I was fast tracked in, funny thing though, I had my pre op assessment done on Thursday morning and as I was about to walk out the door, my phone rang and they asked if I would like to come in tomorrow for op, could have knocked me over with a feather :o So I then had to travel back home, then back to my Parents as I had to be here by 7am plus of course I had to get my Dad to drop me off :)

Came into the Royal Victorian Eye & Ear Hospital yesterday morning and was under the knife by about 8.30am and out of the theatre about 2pm.

This is me in my ward at 2.30pm.

Surprisingly I wasn't as sore as I expected to be, probably the painkillers doing there job :) Didn't really get a lot of sleep during the night as I think I may have still been a bit too rested from the effects of the general anaesthetic.

The Doc has been in earlier this morning and removed my bandage and has said that all is well and I can go home today, me from behind without bandage about 9am.

My Mum will be in about 11am to take me back to her place for a few days where I'll get to enjoy some good old fashioned home care and cooking :)

Will have a check up in about a weeks time, appointment will be scheduled for me before I leave today, then in about fortnight I think, I get the outside part fitted and turned on. To start off with, only some of the 22 probes going into my Cochlear will be turned on, with all expected to be turned on over the following 3 months and fine-tuned.

Don't think has all quite really sunk in yet, it has all happened so quickly.

AUSSIE
24th September 2011, 11:33 AM
Great to Hear all went well DJ.They didn't give you much time to worry about it did they:2tsup: Now for a fast recovery.Mums food sounds OK:D

Groggy
24th September 2011, 11:53 AM
Onya DJ. Bit of a worry when they have to put a big red arrow pointing to the ear for the surgeon isn't it? You would hope he/she would recognise that big flappy bit by now :U

Look forward to hear how the testing progresses.

tea lady
24th September 2011, 12:25 PM
:2tsup: Cool! Will be interesting to hear about your experiences with it! :)

FenceFurniture
24th September 2011, 01:11 PM
...... put a big red arrow pointing to the ear for the surgeon isn't it?

Nah Groggy. This was a special one for DJ. Coz he's got such a thick beard, they need to know which way is up. This becomes particularly important when the patient goes to recovery and the nurses get him to stand up for the first time. The middle ear is affected by the op and he might topple over.

Mind you they could determine the direction by seeing how gravity affects the dangly bits.

DJ: was your hearing loss for part of the spectrum or just a general can't hear a bloody thing?

DJ’s Timber
24th September 2011, 01:31 PM
DJ: was your hearing loss for part of the spectrum or just a general can't hear a bloody thing?

I got bacterial menegitus when I was 11mths old and either that or the drugs they used to get rid of it destroyed most of my hearing.

I have managed to get by with hearing aids until about 3yrs ago when the hearing in my left ear went downhill very quickly, I also lost my middle ear balance in that ear around the same time as well, so had no balance problems after the op :q

Losing the last bit of the hearing in that ear, it hit me pretty hard and with my depression I sort of withdraw from it and had a few false starts to go to the Cochlear Clinic but the staff there are very understanding and realise that it is a big step. So about this time last year I finally worked up the nerve to get the MRI and CT scans and balance testing done and was then placed on the waiting list.

FenceFurniture
24th September 2011, 01:35 PM
I see. Well keep us up to speed - I'm sure there are many who would be interested in seeing how you go.

witch1
24th September 2011, 04:40 PM
groggy
Over the years there have been mistakes made in operating theatres with the handing of operations.
the arrow painted on the site of the op. is just another precaution taken in hospitals to eliminate the chance of this kind of mistake . If you have a left one and a right one it is mandatory to make sure that the correct body part is operated on.
I find it reassuring when they mark my bits up with non fade ink to know while i am conscious that I have been mapped out for the surgeon to find his way to the correct area
regards
witch1

Sturdee
24th September 2011, 05:06 PM
Great to hear that you are getting better DJ, when you are well I've still got the sandpaper that you paid for last year.

Any time that you are ready let me know, no storage fees charged.:D

Peter.

Waldo
24th September 2011, 08:50 PM
Still better an arrow pointing to an ear than stuffing up and rigging the implant elsewhere. :doh: Great to read the news Dj. :2tsup:

Ozkaban
24th September 2011, 09:56 PM
Have a good friend with an implant. Very interesting how they work.

Hope you heal up quickly and they work well for you. It's truly amazing what medical science can achieve.

Cheers,
Dave

dai sensei
24th September 2011, 10:23 PM
Great news DJ :2tsup: I'm sure it will all heal up well and work a treat :cool:

I'm coming down to Melbourne on Wednesday, staying until the show, so hope to catch up.

Cheers

Cliff Rogers
24th September 2011, 10:53 PM
Good on ya DJ, all the best mate. :2tsup:

Ruddy
24th September 2011, 10:58 PM
All the best DJ...speedy recovery and keep us all posted with your progress...

RufflyRustic
25th September 2011, 09:30 PM
Heya DJ!!!! So good to read your posts. Am totally wrapt for you that the op is over and went well. :2tsup:

Cheers, Wendy

munruben
26th September 2011, 10:05 AM
Great to hear the op is all over and done with DJ. Hope all continues to go well for you. Will be interesting to learn of your progress. All the best mate. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

artme
27th September 2011, 07:30 AM
FAntastic news DJ> Hope it continues to go well!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

BobL
10th October 2011, 10:24 PM
Hi DJ - just spotted this - all the best. BobL

tea lady
10th October 2011, 11:40 PM
I think my partner is deaf too! I was telling him you had a cochlear implant and he said "a what implant?" ::doh: Or maybe its just his one track mind.

So how is it going DJ? Would love to hear about your experiences. Science and the mind is so fascinating!

Grumpy John
11th October 2011, 06:52 PM
Just spotted this thread. All the best for a speedy recovery DJ. Are you gunna get a new nickname for the forum now :D?
I have a friend who did some software engineering for the Cochlear mob in the mid eighties, it's come a long way since then.

tea lady
11th October 2011, 08:08 PM
I have a friend who did some software engineering for the Cochlear mob in the mid eighties, it's come a long way since then.I have some friends who worked on it THIS CENTURY! :D:U

Allan at Wallan
14th October 2011, 07:22 PM
I have only just noticed this thread too D.J. and sincerely
hope that your recovery is quick and that the overall results
prove successful.

Look forward to positive progress reports.

Allan

DJ’s Timber
27th October 2011, 01:02 AM
Have had the processor fitted last week and second sound level adjustments done at the start of this week at the CIC (Cochlear Implant Clinic)

First couple days were confusing but it settled and with using my iPad of which I can hook straight into my sound processor, I'm able to use it with a talking book App. Using the talking book app has helped tremendously as I'm able to follow the words as they are spoken, I also have to do this whilst it is quiet and without my hearing aid in the other ear.

At this stage, most of the sounds are a series of beeps and static to me apart from when I'm using the talking book App of which I'm now able to start picking up words. At this stage the words that I can distinguish sound like Alvin the Chipmunk.

To begin with at the first fitting, Alex my Audiologist played a series of different tones from the lowest volume till I could hear it, to each of the 22 probes inserted in my cochlear and then once that was done, kept repeating each one till it was uncomfortable to listen to. She then set this as the basic to start with and set up four programs to gradually increase the levels as I got more comfortable with them. So by the time I went back for the second adjustment I was up to program 3.

So for each assessment I go in for, it is basically the same, keep playing the tones etc, keep increasing the programs in between as my hearing relearns what the brain is receiving. For example, yesterday, I fitted it when I got up and thought to my self, what is that I can hear? Then after a about 30 secs I twigged onto it, it was my breathing, normally I can only hear it when I'm breathing heavily after exertion or deep breathing, not when I'm relaxed, so I am picking up stuff that I didn't originally hear or am picking up sound from further away as I am hearing more across the range that I couldn't before hand, even if I'm not quite recognising exactly what it is.

So things are progressing well and Alex said she is really pleased that I'm already able to start recognising words using the talking book app, actually she was more like ecstatic, cause going from the trend with past history from other people with similar hearing lost it usually takes longer to pick it up but then again, some of the technology was not available as it is now. For example she saw that I had an iPad and suggested that I using a talking book app to help train or relearn my brain and it has helped tremendously.

At this stage overall I feel that my hearing has improved a bit, even if I'm not hearing exactly what is coming through the new implant, it is actually making me more aware of what I couldn't hear beforehand.

Have also attached an image of sound processor attached to my big head.

munruben
27th October 2011, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the update DJ . Good news, Hope all continues to improve rapidly for you in the future. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
27th October 2011, 09:13 AM
Waahoo. :2tsup:

RufflyRustic
27th October 2011, 09:23 AM
Great progress DJ :):2tsup::):2tsup:

Bob38S
27th October 2011, 10:07 AM
Only just caught this thread - was a great read so far - looking forward to "hearing" more.

All the best and a really speedy recovery.

Waldo
27th October 2011, 11:08 AM
That's excellent news Dj. :2tsup:

BobL
27th October 2011, 12:42 PM
Onya DJ! Good to hear progress is being made - its also very interesting to hear about what you are hearing.

BTW I'm a big fan of audio books and listen to about 2 audio books a week.

Grumpy John
27th October 2011, 02:58 PM
Excellent news DJ, glad to hear all is progressing well :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:.

tea lady
27th October 2011, 05:14 PM
At this stage, most of the sounds are a series of beeps and static to me apart from when I'm using the talking book App of which I'm now able to start picking up words. At this stage the words that I can distinguish sound like Alvin the Chipmunk.

That is about right! Talking book app voices always sound like that! :U

Glad to here it is progressing well. Very interestingalso to hear about all the sciency stuff! :cool:

Groggy
27th October 2011, 06:07 PM
So when will your email go straight to your insert? Amazing tech!

Jim Carroll
27th October 2011, 06:14 PM
Well done DJ good progress so far :2tsup:

John Saxton
27th October 2011, 09:17 PM
Well done DJ good news always travels fast.

Sister in-Law was deaf as a post had the first one done a couple years ago and is looking to hava a second one put in.

Mate in Mandurah has had one put and instead of his wife having to write things down for him is now pleased to be able to communicate on one-on one basis verbally.

I think SWMBO needs one :D she suddenly does not hear when I want to visa a need:wink:

Cheers:)

Acco
24th April 2012, 07:51 PM
Six months with implant now, can report that it is all working well!!

Hearing lots more now and speech awareness has improved as well.

Grumpy John
24th April 2012, 08:03 PM
That's great news DJ :2tsup:.

springwater
24th April 2012, 10:12 PM
Six months with implant now, can report that it is all working well!!

Hearing lots more now and speech awareness has improved as well.

:2tsup: Is it water proof :shifty1:

Cliff Rogers
24th April 2012, 10:13 PM
What? :D

Foo
25th April 2012, 11:30 AM
You heard!:U

Are you or will you get the other side done DJ or is it only one ear ever done?

It's gotta be a boost to self confidence for you to!:2tsup:

Foo

Acco
25th April 2012, 11:43 AM
At this stage no I won't be getting the other side done, as I can still hear with a hearing aid reasonably well but if it deteriates like the other one did, then yes I will.