PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Turner near Hobart.

Bernt
24th September 2011, 11:45 AM
Hi, I am looking for someone to turn 70 balusters for a staircase in the Southern Tasmania region.

I am building the staircase but I am not set up for turning (also not efficient at it). I have a sample here that can be copied, and I can supply the blanks. They will be painted so will probably be in pine.

Since it is for a steep little staircase in a very old house the balusters will be very close together and I am looking for 32mm width, standard bought ones are 42mm which would look a bit bulky.

I also have 5 newel posts to turn in tas oak.

Is anyone here is interested in this little job or can you suggest someone?

Thanks, Bernt

brendan stemp
25th September 2011, 08:50 AM
From my observations there ain't too many Tasmanians that subscribe to this Forum so you might struggle to find someone here. However there's lots of woodturners in Tassie so you should have better luck elsewhere.

Jim Carroll
25th September 2011, 11:42 AM
Kevin Morse lives in hobart he could help, look for KevM on the forum

KevM
25th September 2011, 12:25 PM
Kevin Morse lives in hobart he could help, look for KevM on the forum

Thanks Jim, but not my cup of tea.

I'll ask around though and see if I can find any interest.

Not a lot of meat left on a 32mm square by the time it is turned though.

Bernt
25th September 2011, 01:20 PM
Thanks so far already,

I know there is not much meat left, the original stairs that ones have been removed had a going of about 190mm. I know that for the building code 250mm is minimum but there is only the space where the old ones once were. This means the balusters are much closer together then normal and since 19 mm is the minimum diameter for the spindles I think it will look a lot better if I use thin balusters.

I also have some here that are that size, they do look good.

I have been suggested one guy in Hobart, Faure, he has given me a price. I hope I can find someone who can do it a bit cheaper since his is out of my clients budget.

snowyskiesau
25th September 2011, 02:02 PM
There are quiet a few woodturners at the local boatshed. I'll around when I'm back there on Monday night.

Bernt
25th September 2011, 03:15 PM
Hi, just a photo of what I am after, not in silky oak but in pine probably.

snowyskiesau
25th September 2011, 04:26 PM
Bernt,

How long do the balusters have to be?

Bernt
25th September 2011, 05:03 PM
Bernt,

How long do the balusters have to be?

They need to be 1 meter long, the turned section is 600mm