PDA

View Full Version : Executive Sierra in Purple Corn Cob

Perfect Pens
24th September 2011, 06:39 PM
Hi All,

Turned my first Corn Cob Pen today, turned out pretty good I thought, however the next two failed at the turning stage :( Have a few more cob's so plenty more practice with these yet.:q

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_1968.jpg

Thanks for looking and be sure to let me know what you think.

Cheers
Tony

bdar
24th September 2011, 09:18 PM
Hi Tony,

A great job on the cob pen. Are they ones you have saved and dyed yourself or ones from a business. The purple is a bit hard to see but the fit and finish are smooth. The ears use is from a farmer that dries and shucks the corn, they are not stabilized. When I drill them I run thin Zap CA inside the cob to stabilize from the inside. The Zap thin CA is thinner than the thin CA I use in finishing and penetrates well. Hope to see more of them, they are fun to make and using dye adds a different dimension.

Darren

Perfect Pens
24th September 2011, 10:41 PM
Hi Darren,

These ones were bought from Wood N Whimsies in a pack of six different colours. They are already stabilized and coloured. They drilled ok and I used the 5min 2 part epoxy to glue the tubes but I'm not sure how well that worked ?
I need to keep trying on a few more to master the final turning of the blanks!! funny thing is the first one turned and finished really well with no real issues:?

Ah well thats half the fun i guess, experimenting.

Cheers
Tony.

bdar
24th September 2011, 10:52 PM
Hi Tony,

You said that the others you tried at the turning stage, do you think the cobs weren't stabilized all the way through. This is my thoughts on drilling, no matter how slow you drill you will generate heat and I feel it may cause, what I call micro cracks, even if using stabilized blanks. Like I said, I run thin CA inside and let it dry then ream the hole out with the drill by hand. I use Gorilla Glue to glue my tubes now, I once again line the hole with the glue and coat the tube as well and twist the tube in. At least this way I know that the hole and tube are coated.

cheers
Darren