PDA

View Full Version : Coolant for alumininium

Grahame Collins
24th September 2011, 09:52 PM
Evening all,
The post below re the coolant got me thinking about something I learned before the kids knocked off for holidays.

We built a radius tool from some donated 20mm plate scrap.

Naturally the student who had the most to do with it wanted to try it out.

No problems until he tried it on some 20mm ally round bar.
EEyuk the ali stuck to the tool which in caused it to gouge the remainder.

As Sir is supposed to have the answer for every problem I checked to spindle speed which it turns out was too low.We ran the spindle up to2000 rpm The finish was just,so, so using standard coolant.

I then remembered an old fitter had mentioned that methylated was a great coolant for ali. I had some methylated spirits which I put into a squirty bottle.

The finish of the tool was amazing. You could get a reflection off it but it was by no means polished. I was happy and kids were impressed.

I think it worked by rapidly removing the heat.Ihopeit works for you

Grahame

Oldneweng
24th September 2011, 11:13 PM
Kerosene is considered the all round coolant for aluminium. If I have a need for ali coolant I will try both and compare. Lucky I don't smoke LOL.

Dean

Auskart
25th September 2011, 08:19 AM
WD40 also works well, smokes a little though.

azzrock
26th September 2011, 02:49 PM
thanks for the post Graham. im going to give metho a try

Abratool
26th September 2011, 03:46 PM
Grahame
Thank you for the hint on Metho for machining Aluminium.
I just evaluated it on the Lathe, in turning a piece of 1" Dia bar with amazing results.
The test included.........
Dry..... Dull finish
WD40..... A little brighter than dull.
Methylated Spirits.....A bright reflective finish, like nothing achieved previously :2tsup:
Very interesting, I do not know why the Metho works so well, perhaps as you say its about heat transfer.
regards
Bruce:)

The Bleeder
26th September 2011, 04:03 PM
All I new was tapping threads in aluminium metho was used. Didn't realise it could be used for cutting ali.

Mild steel, brass and others have there own prefered lubricant for tapping threads.

That was metalwork in High school back in the 70's.

Grahame Collins
26th September 2011, 04:47 PM
Heres a pic of the of 20mm Ali rod.
That on my cheapy Canon camera.

2000 rpm

Using a 5/16 HSS tool on a Yoke type ball turner tool that the students made.I expect others will see a better finish as the clearances in the ball tool may be a bit loose.

metho delivered from a squirty bottle.

Grahame

danielhobby
26th September 2011, 08:06 PM
Human urine works well as well,and on brass too,just dont use over 100 rpm lol

morrisman
26th September 2011, 08:37 PM
I think you can buy the correct machining aluminium , 2011 is the best I believe. Not sure how the other grades will machine compared to 2011.

Mike .

pipeclay
26th September 2011, 08:59 PM
If you cant buy it then how do you get it?

morrisman
26th September 2011, 09:10 PM

Huh :?

pipeclay
26th September 2011, 09:38 PM
Exactly.

RayG
26th September 2011, 10:47 PM

Hi PC,

Ah well, then, you need to look a bit harder, :rolleyes: .. you can get 2011 from here...

Action Aluminium , rod stock from 6mm to 254mm..

Regards
Ray

morrisman
26th September 2011, 11:15 PM
Hi PC,

Ah well, then, you need to look a bit harder, :rolleyes: .. you can get 2011 from here...

Regards
Ray

That is where I buy it from Ray. They have a good selection of plate as well . They usually have some off cuts which is handy.

Mike

Jekyll and Hyde
27th September 2011, 09:11 PM
Hi PC,

Regards
Ray

Think you might need a step ladder there Ray, that one went over your head :p

RayG
27th September 2011, 09:41 PM
Think you might need a step ladder there Ray, that one went over your head :p

Hi J&H, Nice to have a sense of humor, even if the sarcasm sometimes misses the mark.. :)....

Regards
Ray

PS Yes, I got it,

woodworm1
29th September 2011, 07:01 PM
Grab a action ally catalogue, used to be online and probably still is, gives a brief summary of what you can and can't do with the different alloys. ie machine, weld .....

Generally 2011 machines beautifully, small clean chips, 5083 quite nice. 6061, 6060 also not too bad though one (can never remember which - early onset alzheimers i say) does tend to stick and gum. Only downside I've noticed with 2011 is that it polishes nicely but if not used regularly (ie gear knob) it tarnishes slightly with time as compared to 6000 series alloys, guessing that its the copper reacting.