PDA

View Full Version : Old Hornibrook Bridge timber

kcam
26th September 2011, 11:57 AM
The Redcliffe Woodcraft Society was given a piece of IRONBARK girder from the demolished Hornibrook Bridge that was originally constructed in 1938 and at the time was the longest bridge in Australia and then became the longest pedestrian/recreational bridge in the world (as per Goggle). The request was that the council would like a bowl turned from it.....so after helping to take one slab from the girder section muggins me said OK "I will take a piece and see if I could tun something". I have never attempted to turn/cut anything so hard in all the time that I have been doing woodcraft. I spent more time sharpening then turning and my planned design was changed due to the hardness and faults that emerged......anyway the result of my effort ended up looking like a hat of the era, the rim embellishment is supposed to represent the changing tides and the fault lines the actual bridge.

WOODbTURNER
26th September 2011, 12:01 PM
They will love it

bench1holio
26th September 2011, 12:15 PM
thats a great looking peice kcam, i really like the rim embelishment.

vk4
26th September 2011, 12:18 PM
I believe that you have done justice to the Bridge , the builders , and the timber.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

It is an EXCELLENT piece of timber and workmanship.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Very well done

Jeff

Ozkaban
26th September 2011, 12:41 PM
Really like that one :2tsup:

cookie48
26th September 2011, 12:45 PM
That will be a great piece to show off. It is well presented and I do love the feet.

kcam
26th September 2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks all for your positive comments :U cheers kerry

artme
26th September 2011, 01:56 PM
That is one excellent piece of wormanship!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

It's going to the right place also.

Love the piece of Ironbark too!:)

Sapling
26th September 2011, 02:23 PM
I may have fished off that piece of timber.
I didn't do any good but you sure did.
Lovely work!!

Waldo
26th September 2011, 02:26 PM
I used to fish of there too, back when I was a kid. :sigh:

I know they built a new bridge to replace it, and last time I was around there the old Hornibrook Bridge was still there, but you couldn't fish off it anymore - when did it get knocked down?

Very nice bowl and I love the detail. :2tsup:

kcam
26th September 2011, 02:47 PM
Waldo, they have just finished removing the last of the piles, the two "decorative" pylons were retained at the ends and a short section each end is being refurbed for fishing etc. the new Ted Smout bridge duplicates the old concrete bridge and now there is 6 lanes plus a walk/bikeway with a fishing platform in the middle of the new bridge......Kerry

Waldo
26th September 2011, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the info. :2tsup:

RETIRED
26th September 2011, 02:53 PM
That bridge was good for fanging across on dark, stormy nights.:rolleyes:

tea lady
26th September 2011, 04:26 PM
The rim embellishment looks great! :2tsup: And the rest too.:U Great job!

turnerted
26th September 2011, 05:17 PM
Great looking bowl.
Well worth the battle.
Ted

crowie
26th September 2011, 05:49 PM
Great looking bowl.
I remember the bridge as every weekend we'd travel from Northgate to Margate to see my grandparents.
Us kids would have turns handing over the "shilling" to the man at the Redcliffe end and get to keep the pink ticket.
I remember that if dad drove at or over the speed limit the car would start to almost bounce up & down throwing us kids out of our seats [no seat belt days].
Went my girls were small and we took them to see there grandparents [my mum & dad] they had a game of who could hold there breath the longest/furtherest across the bridge.
Also remember always seeing people fishing off it on the bay side with the walk way.
Good memories, sad to see the bridge go; but very happy to see the very long traffic jams on Saturday & Sunday afternoons as the families tried to get back to Brisbane across the bridge.
Cheers, crowie

kcam
26th September 2011, 05:57 PM
It's called "hooning" now
Good to see that the post has stirred so many fond memories.....Kerry

smiife
26th September 2011, 08:19 PM
hi kcam,
great looking bowl and a good story to go with it
well done .:2tsup:
i made a bowl on the weekend very similar to yours
out of camphour laurel ,not quite as good ,it's uncanny
how that happens sometimes:U
cheers smiife

dai sensei
26th September 2011, 08:21 PM
Wow, that is amazing, love the details :cool: You have certainly done the old beams justice :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
26th September 2011, 10:25 PM
All I can say is if the council doesn't like it ...
send it to me, because I think it's superb :2tsup::2tsup:

Christos
26th September 2011, 10:37 PM
That's a great piece.

TTIT
26th September 2011, 11:31 PM
I have no knowledge of the bridge but I do like the bowl and it's message :2tsup: Top job!

Paul39
27th September 2011, 10:52 AM
Absolutely beautiful bowl.

What happened to the rest of the timber?

Originally Posted by http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/button2/viewpost.gif (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/old-hornibrook-bridge-timber-141548-post1379212/#post1379212)
It's called "hooning" now
Good to see that the post has stirred so many fond memories.....Kerry

What in blue flaming blazes are you guys talking about.

How about translating for those of us separated by a common language.

hughie
27th September 2011, 11:14 AM
How about translating for those of us separated by a common language

Sorry Paul its Strine :U fanging = peddle to the metal, flat out and faster :U

Hooning = well generally it means driving around wheel spinning, sliding out on corners etc etc,. Sorta dukes of hazard stuff , a male juvenile pre-occupation in the belief we were at that time imortal and bullet proof. :U

Paul39
27th September 2011, 11:28 AM
Sorry Paul its Strine :U fanging = peddle to the metal, flat out and faster :U

Hooning = well generally it means driving around wheel spinning, sliding out on corners etc etc,. Sorta dukes of hazard stuff , a male juvenile pre-occupation in the belief we were at that time imortal and bullet proof. :U

Thank You!

Rolling on the floor laughing!

We have some lift bridges over here with the deck made of metal grate. On a wet day you don't have to do anything to provoke squirreling around.

tea lady
27th September 2011, 05:15 PM
Thank You!

Rolling on the floor laughing!

We have some lift bridges over here with the deck made of metal grate. On a wet day you don't have to do anything to provoke squirreling around.
"Squirreling" means something else here too! :B Although we do understand it in this context as well.:D

kcam
7th October 2011, 06:15 PM
The "bowl" ended up being for a Charity Auction that took place this morning. The Council prepared a Certificate Of Authenticity to go with it at auction.
I have just heard that it sold for the unbelievable sum of $1500 , fantastic for the charity and I am pretty chuffed too......wish that I could command similar prices for other pieces that I make:rolleyes: cheers Kerry

Sawdust Maker
7th October 2011, 07:34 PM
magic response from the buying public :2tsup:

Waldo
7th October 2011, 07:46 PM
Good stuff. :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
7th October 2011, 11:27 PM
First class work :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Guy28
7th October 2011, 11:55 PM
What a great story - must really make you feel proud.
A great piece too - something for we beginners to aspire to.

Guy