PDA

View Full Version : boschmann plunge routers should i change for a known brand

matey
9th January 2005, 11:27 PM
hi all just joined this interesting forum.

i have just purchased a boschmann plunge router at my local market in the uk but can find no info on product, the included manual is very hard to understand.

the router is quite a big unit and rather heavy , the base unit is circular,

having no idea how to use a router whatsoever am a bit wary of trying the unit out.

i purchased a router because i wished to use one for making rebates for internal doors and to make radiuses on wood for windowsills.and possibly to get a bit adventurous and have a go at some homemade built in wardrobes.

not sure wether to change this rather large router for a smaller more easier to handle product .although a smaller one will not have the 1/2 inch collect capacity of the one i have purchased.

advice please

thank you

gatiep
10th January 2005, 02:30 AM
1) Sit down on a chair next to a table.

2). Put router on the table
3) Have a look and fiddle with all the bits, knobs, catches etc.
Leave router unplugged all the time. If it was plugged in you'll have no fingers left by now and in intensive care. Sell router because in such a state you wont need one
4) If it was unplugged you'll be OK.
5) Once you have figured out what each thing does, call someone who knows routers to help you, or enroll to do a router course.
6) Together with the knowledgeable person, have a go at using the router.
7) All routers are basically the same, they are not rocket science. You can even have a look at a different routers manual to get the basics.
8) Selling the router to get one with a manual seems like an expensive exercise.
9) It would be pretty difficult to instruct someone on how to use a router over the internet.

Oh, before I forget, Welcome to the forum.

Play safe and have fun! (Happy routing.........hope the spelling is correct ) LOL

Cya
:)

PAH1
10th January 2005, 08:48 AM
A uk mag that I picked up at recently had an article about that very thing in it. They are cheap rip offs that are named to suggest that they come from Bosch. Apparently they are pretty poor, and I would suspect that the warranty would be equally bad.

Sorry

Grunt
10th January 2005, 08:54 AM
Go to your library and get one of the many books on routers. You will be surprised at how versitile the router can be.

Joe is right, don't route your fingers.

Grunt

matey
10th January 2005, 10:37 PM
thanks all

pah1 did realise that the boschmann is not up to the quality of better known brands ,it is the fact its a rather big affair possibly more suited to be mounted on a router table than used on its own , i may possible if possible exchange for something more lightweight. can you recall which uk mag the article was in ???

grunt will have a look in libary as you suggest for router books.

thank you