PDA

View Full Version : Teak kitchen worktop - Help!!

haventadog
10th January 2005, 07:04 AM
I have been using Danish oil on a teak worksurface. The kitchen is made from an old school science block so is very battered and marked (this is why we liked it). The Danis oil has been generally okay but is a bit high maintenece because I only like it when it sheens. Around the sink it is hopeless. Unfortunately it seems to need doing every other minute. Not helped by the fact that the drainer isn't good but to improve it would mean talking the entire kitchen apart.
Due yto flood damage we had to move out and the builders start next week so I need to strip the surface back and re-apply something.
So: What is the best thing.

Needs to have a shine of sorts.
Need to be really hard wearing, really reliable around the sink and as low maintenance as poss (4 young children and a lot of worktops). I do place food on the surface though don't generally cut on it.

Any swift, easily digested advice would be gratefully received

JB
12th January 2005, 08:46 PM
Lacquer, estapol or polyurethane. May be the same thing, terminology varies depending on where you are. The latter two are ususaly available in hardware stores for application by brush. Lacquers (nitrocellulose) are great but you need a spray gun.

I believe only these modern finishes will give you complete moisture protection with no maintenance needed. The downside is the sometimes plasticy appearance. To minismise this don't put too many coats on or keep the mixture thinnish.