PDA

View Full Version : Spiral Fluted Bowl

Fredo
1st October 2011, 11:20 AM
Hi everyone,

Here is my latest spiral fluted bowl and the best of three I've made so far. Coolabah Burl 320 x 80. I entered this bowl in the Canberra Timber and Working with Wood Show and managed a first place in face plate turning. All comments welcome.

Fredo :U

bellyup
1st October 2011, 11:49 AM
Well done Freddo,
Lovely job. Danish oil finish?
Bruce.

Cliff Rogers
1st October 2011, 12:20 PM
:2tsup:

bench1holio
1st October 2011, 12:40 PM
i seen this peice at the canberra show, very impressive fredo :2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
1st October 2011, 05:34 PM
nice clean fluting Fredo :2tsup::2tsup:

artme
1st October 2011, 06:19 PM
Very nicely done Fredo!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

The quality of the turning, fluting and finish is excellent!!!:):)

Just some thoughts:

I have a personal "thing" about decorative timber - ie. timber with beaut grain. I like it to be left plain. For me plain grained timbers are the ones to decorate

The same with pens. I have seen some beautiful blanks that should have become beautiful pens but, IMHO, were spoiled because of florid kits.

smiife
1st October 2011, 06:25 PM
hi fredo,
:2tsup::2tsup: beautiful work,love the burls
you have done a great job on this one
well done:2tsup:
cheers smiife

Ad de Crom
1st October 2011, 06:37 PM
Fredo, very pretty.
Ad :2tsup:

joe greiner
1st October 2011, 09:20 PM
What they said. And the fluting is just subtle enough to be noticed without overpowering the grain.

A perfect combination.:2tsup:

Cheers,
Joe

TTIT
1st October 2011, 10:49 PM
It's been a while Fredo! - thought you must have given the game away :;
Beautiful bowl :2tsup: - you do realise you'll have to show your rigging now don't you???:U

dr4g0nfly
2nd October 2011, 12:13 AM
managed a first place in face plate turning.
:U

I think that says it all very nicely.

Very well done and much deserved.

Ed Reiss
2nd October 2011, 11:35 AM
The bowl and workmanship speak for themselves...well done, and congrats on the win. :2tsup:

Fredo
3rd October 2011, 08:54 AM
bellyup - Thanks Bruce. The finish is Feast Watson Scandinavian Oil (Danish Oil) it is a clear blend of penetrating oil and polyurethane resin. I paint it on with a brush and allow fifteen minutes to soak in, wipe off excess with a rag and allow to dry. Burl generally needs two or three coats. Been using this finish for a long time and it retains the satin lustre for many years.

Cliff, Ben, wheelinround, smiife, Ad, Joe, Dr4gOnfly and Ed - Thanks for your interest. Spiral fluting has a fairly steep learning curve, but I'm happy with the end result.

artme - Thanks. Re the choice of wood: My opinion is the opposite actually. No wood is sacred - everything can be fluted. Burls, the older and harder they are, the cleaner they cut with high speed steel in the router. Softer plain woods are problematic as they quite often tear instead of cutting cleanly.

Vern - Thanks I appreciate it. I don't post a lot but I always keep an eye on the site to see what's happening. With the jig, you know the old saying - If I tell you or show you then I'd have to kill you.....and it's a hell of a long way to Emerald. :o:;:U

While on the subject. Here are some pics of the first two I made.

Fred:U

wheelinround
3rd October 2011, 12:48 PM
Fred real interesting OT cuts also although I think the centre one is a little deep love the alternate depth of cut around the out side and then the rounded edge look.

What woods are those two?

Penatrine/penatrating oil?

Fredo
4th October 2011, 08:39 AM
wheelinround - Thanks, I think the second and third bowls are an improvement on the first. It doesn't hurt to experiment. Oil - Feast Watson Scandinavian Oil 'penetrating oil and polyurethane resin' (that's what it says on the can). The wood is Claret Ash, fantastic wood, turns and finishes a treat. Plenty of it here in Canberra.

Fredo :U

wheelinround
5th October 2011, 08:02 AM
Love Claret Ash one of the first bowls I turned got it from Tom at Ornamental turners. not as nice a looking bowl as yours.

:rolleyes: Canberra must visit with room to bring more wood home :roll: