PDA

View Full Version : Problem weekend

RETIRED
1st October 2011, 02:35 PM
Dai Sensai is staying at our place next w/e 8th & 9th so I thought we might have an open day for Forumites.

No format but if you have problems on chucks, chisels, sharpening or anything else to do with Turning bring it along and collectively may be able to solve it.

tea lady
1st October 2011, 04:30 PM
:D Can we get them to all sweep first?:U We can have a debate on "sweeping theory! :cool::D

RETIRED
1st October 2011, 05:51 PM
:D Can we get them to all sweep first?:U We can have a debate on "sweeping theory! :cool::DShhhh. That was going to be Neils 1st job.

Pat
1st October 2011, 05:57 PM
, I suggest you get the apprentice to do it.:q

Bushmiller
1st October 2011, 06:34 PM
:D Can we get them to all sweep first?:U We can have a debate on "sweeping theory! :cool::D

TL

I think you should be very careful about making sweeping statements!:D

Regards
Paul

tea lady
1st October 2011, 07:43 PM
, I suggest you get the apprentice to do it.:q:bleh:

Grommett
1st October 2011, 07:57 PM
Have broom. Will travel. :cool:

Bushmiller
1st October 2011, 08:02 PM
Have broom. Will travel. :cool:

Eat your heart out Harry Potter:rolleyes:.

Actually just envious. I would love to get along. Just tooo far. Perhaps some pix from the get together for the forum?

Regards
Paul

Sturdee
1st October 2011, 08:12 PM

Count Michelle and I in for either Saturday or Sunday. Looking forward to meeting Neil and other forumnites again and learning from the master.

Peter.

powderpost
1st October 2011, 09:47 PM
I would come down and cut a thread or two for you, but I am a poor old broke pensioner........... :wink:
Jim

Sawdust Maker
1st October 2011, 11:07 PM
I would come down and cut a thread or two for you, but I am a poor old broke pensioner........... :wink:
Jim

me too :doh:

Pat
2nd October 2011, 05:11 AM
me too :doh:

For us on the north side of the border, there is always Kiewa :2tsup:

dai sensei
2nd October 2011, 11:17 AM
Shhhh. That was going to be Neils 1st job.

:o:no:

I vote the appretice :U

Funny isn't it, BBQ down in Melb, but most of the replies are from Qld'ers :U

Had a good day with old friends yesterday watching a weird game what looked liked arial ping pong :U - well done Cats, the other team got something called the collywobbles :?

powderpost
2nd October 2011, 09:17 PM
For us on the north side of the border, there is always Kiewa :2tsup:
What about two borders? That qualifies for double assistance.
Jim

rodent
4th October 2011, 04:34 PM
Fred and i will probably drop it , ILL bring thr leaf blower along to help tea lady to sweep up .
But which day will it be .

Grommett
4th October 2011, 04:55 PM
Either day is good for me. Whats best for most?

Sawdust Maker
4th October 2011, 08:15 PM
I should come - I've been told I'm a problem :D

Avery
4th October 2011, 08:31 PM
I hope someone has been conscripted to take lots of photos,videos and notes so that we poor beggars in Toofaraway can join in .

pyarra
4th October 2011, 11:00 PM
Sounds good - where is it? What day?

And what's the dress code? After 5? Smart casual? Do i have to wear my good Blundstones? :o

pyarra
4th October 2011, 11:02 PM
What day?

Oh, looks like that's open for debate. I vote Saturday, as I am required for a previous engagement on the Sunday.

Mrs Blackie
5th October 2011, 01:29 AM
WHAT???:oo: I want to come tooooo!!! but my hubby told me they don't allow bratts and I can't be taken anywhere:roll: I wonder why?:q

RETIRED
5th October 2011, 06:21 AM
Sounds good - where is it? What day?

And what's the dress code? After 5? Smart casual? Do i have to wear my good Blundstones? :oDown at Tooradin. Both days but just rock up with your tools and your problem when you can. Starts at about 9.30 AM.

Tuxedo with spats and tails.Nah. :no:

Wear what you feel comfortable working in.

I will email you a map.

Look forward to seeing you.

pyarra
5th October 2011, 10:15 AM
... they don't allow bratts and I can't be taken anywhere:roll: I wonder why?:q

Well surely this means you can be taken anywhere twice... the second time to apologise.

Sorry, it's an awful Dad joke, but hey... I is what I am.

Pagie
5th October 2011, 09:26 PM
I'll bring a camera so everybody smile.

:U

Mrs Blackie
5th October 2011, 10:35 PM
Pyarra I just had a vision of being dragged back there the second time by the ear, being pointed at and getting told to say sorry NOW! lollll:roflmao:

tea lady
5th October 2011, 10:48 PM
Pyarra I just had a vision of being dragged back there the second time by the ear, being pointed at and getting told to say sorry NOW! lollll:roflmao:You would only have to do that if you left the coffee spoon in the sugar! :rolleyes::D

Mrs Blackie
5th October 2011, 11:07 PM
You would only have to do that if you left the coffee spoon in the sugar! :rolleyes::D

That is my pet hate, don't you just hate it?:~

powderpost
5th October 2011, 11:15 PM
Damm, I have just GOT to mind my grandson Friday morning, so looks like I won't make it this time......... bugger
Jim

RETIRED
6th October 2011, 07:37 AM
Damm, I have just GOT to mind my grandson Friday morning, so looks like I won't make it this time......... bugger
JimWe will miss you Jim.:D

L R P
6th October 2011, 08:34 AM
Hi
I Will see you after work Sat, { C-tec }:2tsup:

dai sensei
7th October 2011, 03:10 PM
On my way to 's now to get in early :U

Two full days of turning :eheheh::2tsup:, surprised more mexicans haven't chimed in :?

Hope the floor is clean and tools sharp TL :rolleyes:

See you there :cool:

tea lady
7th October 2011, 03:18 PM
On my way to 's now to get in early :U

Two full days of turning :eheheh::2tsup:, surprised more mexicans haven't chimed in :?

Hope the floor is clean and tools sharp TL :rolleyes:

See you there :cool::D I left an even layer of shavings yesterday! :shrug: And I am told the tool go blunt overnight so I left the sharpening to you! :p

pyarra
7th October 2011, 03:32 PM
I'll be there tomorrow morning, see you all then.

Tea Lady: don't you just leave the blunted tools in a pyramid overnight and they end up sharp in the morning?

tea lady
7th October 2011, 06:07 PM
I'll be there tomorrow morning, see you all then.

Tea Lady: don't you just leave the blunted tools in a pyramid overnight and they end up sharp in the morning?:think:You could try that! I'm not sure of its efficacy! It depends if has spent the previous night making a new sharpening station! :D

See you tomorrow. Guess what I'm making tonight! :cool:

Also trying to think of a problem to bring! Might bring the stainless thermal cup to make a cover for.:U

pyarra
7th October 2011, 06:19 PM
:think:You could try that! I'm not sure of its efficacy! It depends if has spent the previous night making a new sharpening station! :D

See you tomorrow. Guess what I'm making tonight! :cool:

Also trying to think of a problem to bring! Might bring the stainless thermal cup to make a cover for.:U

Guess what you're making tonight... ummm... tea? But won't it be cold by tomorrow?

I've got my problems packed ready to go - several misbehaving skews (can't believe I managed to acquire so many with the exact same fault!) Actually I'm bringing all the tools down, might see if I can get some tips on sharpening.

Sawdust Maker
7th October 2011, 07:27 PM
Guess what you're making tonight... ummm... tea? But won't it be cold by tomorrow?

I've got my problems packed ready to go - several misbehaving skews (can't believe I managed to acquire so many with the exact same fault!) Actually I'm bringing all the tools down, might see if I can get some tips on sharpening.

Take careful notes
showed me and now I find I need followup lessons - I might have to come down so he can re-do mine :D

rodent
8th October 2011, 11:06 AM
Sorry wont be coming over now sister gave fred and myself a cold wouldn't want to give it to any one else .

Allan at Wallan
8th October 2011, 06:11 PM
I had thought of coming down today, Saturday, but had this
premonition that a plane might fall out of the sky at Tooradin.

Just watched the 6pm news - guess what?

Allan

Grumpy John
8th October 2011, 06:21 PM
Some piccies from the problem day

One very ugly Mallee Root
183898 183899 183900

Not so ugly now
183901 183904

Neil (Dai SeNsai) showing Peter (Glenlara) a cut on a small bowl.

Phillip (Pyarra), Neil (dai Sensai), Peter (Glenlara), Good looking Rooster :D, Lindsay (LRB), Anne Maria (Tea Lady). Peter (Sturdee) had left and Grumpy John was the photographer.

A baton made by Neil for unknown purposes. :D

jefferson
8th October 2011, 07:47 PM
Alright, so what problems did we solve for the day, aside from some mallee root?

Or was it a covert meeting of the secret society of woodturners? :D:D:D

dai sensei
9th October 2011, 09:38 AM
Great photo John :2tsup:

The old mallee root came from my mother's garden. In a previous life it was part of a rockery, but has been buried for the past 40 (min) years in topsoil. Whilst clearing some of the garden to extend her driveway, I discovered a number of these old gems. Unfortunately most are only good for WW pen blanks.

Alright, so what problems did we solve for the day, aside from some mallee root?

Plenty of lessons on:

the skew, beads/coves ad the straights
getting that under-turned bowl edge right
getting lids to fit well on small lidded boxes
a new jam chuck design (for those of us here anyway)

and how to eat chocolate ripple cake :U Thanks TL :2tsup:

Cheers

Sawdust Maker
9th October 2011, 11:58 AM
That bit of malle came up well - what finish?

I've make batons like that - I tell my lads that they are 'boy bashers'

Grommett
9th October 2011, 05:40 PM
Just home and want to post a thankyou to for a great day. Great tips and instruction, I learned so much. It was good to meet a couple of new to me forumites. Mark me down for the next GTG. :2tsup::2tsup:

Pagie
9th October 2011, 09:51 PM
We had a great weekend at the Problem Weekend. Learned a lot from watching listening and practising. We learnt a new way to start fires.

The cake.

A new jam chuck.

The red gum.

Thank You and all the other teachers.

:2tsup:

RETIRED
10th October 2011, 08:42 AM
More photos.

Group from left. Phillip (Pyarra), Neil (dai Sensai), John (grumpy John), Good looking Rooster :D, Lindsay (LRB), Anne Maria (Tea Lady). Glenlara was the photographer.

Lunch on the deck.

Phillip practising his skew technique.

Peters little bowl.

Peter and Grommet discussing a foot design.

Putting the design into action.

Neil wondering how to tackle this.

The Chocolate ripple cake before Neil got at it.

RETIRED
10th October 2011, 08:49 AM
Thank you to those who attended.

Good food, good company and plenty of lies and BS. A good weekend in anyone's opinion.

fozz
10th October 2011, 08:53 AM
BS.......with that lot?.....................nah, dont believe it :)

rsser
10th October 2011, 12:59 PM
Looks like a good time was had.

Did the Mallee root root the tool edge toot suite?

dai sensei
10th October 2011, 01:14 PM
Yep great weekend :2tsup:

Second day was great, as many didn't show up, and we got one-on-one tuition from the master :yippy:

I was having a day from hell, so poor had plenty to sigh about :-

I often do demo's of small box making, but Sunday after playing all day on very old lumps of "rock" redgum laying around the yard, I didn't finish even one :(. I did learn some more things (mainly what not to do) about making boxes :rolleyes:

Don't use large blunt forstner bits on old redgum
Don't hollow too far (it makes a good braclet though :-)
Don't make beads larger than the thickness of the timber (another small braclet)
Don't oversand the joints
Don't use too much pressure when side sanding whilst holding piece in Vicmarc chuck with standard jaws in outward mode
Overall height to dia ratios are just as important as base height to lid height ratios
Thanks again

Thanks also to TL, the CR cake was even better on the second day, and less to share with :p

Cliff Rogers
10th October 2011, 01:19 PM
Now you need to go & use what you learned on that big lump of Dead Finish. :2tsup:

dai sensei
10th October 2011, 01:24 PM
That bit of malle came up well - what finish?

I just used Danish Oil, the photo was whilst wet. I'll finish with Ubeaut Traditional Wax once dry probably, or buff on Swanson mop with ShitHot Wax, might ask the Boss at the WWW show what would he recommend.

Sturdee
10th October 2011, 03:38 PM
Although I didn't have a specific problem the day was fantastic, good company and fellowship and watching others work is always a great time. :2tsup: Can never get enough of it. :U

I left early on Saturday as I started to feel a bit crook and missed out on the cake.:C

Thanks for having (and putting up with) us .

Peter.

tch'
10th October 2011, 04:08 PM
Looks like a great weekend was had by all who attended. I would have loved to have been there to meet some other turners, but other commitments got in the way.

Tim

tea lady
11th October 2011, 08:13 PM
:cool: Forgot to say anything on this thread in all the ecitement! Had a great time. Small and sellect group in attendance. So we got a decent helping of choc ripple cake. Even lasted till the 2nd day! :D I started making a sort of stacked box out of some olive Tim the ti8mber turner had given me. There is still another bit for a mallet unless I decide it is too pretty andfmake more boxes. :U

(You might get a pic of it when its finished. if that ever happens, Keep having to go to work.:C)

jefferson
11th October 2011, 10:44 PM
I reckon the small group was lucky to have for themselves for the entire day. (And Neil esp. for the Sunday!)

You just can't beat hands-on, one-on-one with a master turner just tweaking the chisel so the tools cut so much better. Skew work with in particular.

Sorry to have missed the weekend, but will be down to the Vic. WWW show in a fortnight for some demos from both and Ken W.

RETIRED
11th October 2011, 11:07 PM
:-

Sawdust Maker
12th October 2011, 10:23 AM
... will be down to the Vic. WWW show in a fortnight for some demos from both and Ken W.

will probably pull out, he's got a cut finger :oo:

RETIRED
12th October 2011, 10:45 AM
:bartmoon:Flesh wound.

powderpost
12th October 2011, 08:34 PM
You are rude................
Jim

RETIRED
12th October 2011, 08:54 PM
I know but I am cute.:wink:

Cliff Rogers
12th October 2011, 11:37 PM
I know but I am cute.:wink::puke: :D

TTIT
13th October 2011, 10:28 PM
Yup - I agree with what Cliff didn't say :no::U

RETIRED
13th October 2011, 10:40 PM
:kickcan:

Jim Carroll
14th October 2011, 08:55 AM
:kickcan:

Now look what you queenslanders have done, upset our poor .

You just dont get to see his gentler side and even nearly clean shaven for the wood shows.

But you are right cute might be stretching things a bit:rolleyes:

dai sensei
14th October 2011, 10:36 AM
Forgot to mention, thanks Jim for the new smock, worked a treat. Those pockets at the back are useful, and I can reach around my waist :rolleyes:

Unfortunately the front has a few Danish Oil stains on the front now :doh:, but without the smock, they would have been on my shirts :U. No matter, they will go with the no doubt copious amounts of CA when I get back :-