PDA

View Full Version : Mangrove Harvest

Pariss
2nd October 2011, 04:49 PM
G'day everyone. I got a great surprise in the mail this week. Des (Seriola) very kindly sent me a post bag full of wonderfull timbers that I can't get hold of up here in the north. Some incredible, freshly cut Brown Malley Burl, along with some Western Myall and Mangrove wood, Cedar, and lots more unusual (to me anyway) types of wood. I'm stoked :D:2tsup:. Many thanks Des for your kindness. Anyway, here is a Roman Harvest dressed in Mangrove. Neato grain pattern eh !

timberbits
2nd October 2011, 05:40 PM
Hi Pariss

That is one hell of a pen! I love the color, grain and texture of that blank.

Its a really good color combination and would be a definate keeper!

Thanks for sharing.

Timberbits

cookie48
2nd October 2011, 08:12 PM
You can almost see the salt in the timber ( I have a godd imagination). Well anyway I rekon that is why it has that colour. Great lookin pen allso.

mkypenturner
2nd October 2011, 09:42 PM
nice pen pariss:2tsup: just one thing i would be very carefull telling people thats its mangrove as their protected species even picking up of the beach as drift wood a good name ive heard it go by is " COASTAL EBONY " :D

Cliff Rogers
2nd October 2011, 10:26 PM
Different. :2tsup:

Penqueen
2nd October 2011, 11:06 PM
Wow Pariss that is one stunning pen, simply beautiful, very well done. :D

Marg.:)

eisbaer
3rd October 2011, 12:10 AM
That looks fantastic! Very unique.

artme
3rd October 2011, 08:27 AM
Beautiful pen there Pariss!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

That is Grey Mangrove and you are lucky to get it.

I was turning a piece I had into a bowl. It had a hidden flaw and exploded in my face:o I was lucy to get away with a slight nick over the left eye.

I think there's enough left in the biggest piece to turn a pen. YYou have provided the inspiration!:)

seriola
4th October 2011, 11:09 AM
nice pen pariss:2tsup: just one thing i would be very carefull telling people thats its mangrove as their protected species even picking up of the beach as drift wood a good name ive heard it go by is " COASTAL EBONY " :D

Nothing to worry about the legalities of this, it was removed from a marina some time ago during dredging and marina work. Must have been driftwood washed up over the years. I recovered it form the site the sand etc. had been dumped.

Nice pen, looks great:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: