PDA

View Full Version : "FREIGHT" Here We go with............

matthew_g
2nd October 2011, 07:28 PM
The same old question, I just can't find the last thread with the answer:doh:
If I wanted to move a milling machine from Sydney to East VIC who would I use??:?
I tried E-Go for a quote and they wanted $1050.00.. I am sure I have seen a thread where people were getting machines down here for 1/3 that price.
Any help much appreciated

.RC.
2nd October 2011, 08:00 PM
Easiest would be Sydney to Melbourne and you pick it up in Melbourne....

Would be a huge number of choices there... If it was a valuable item I would use Websters transport.... More expensive but they are dedicated machine tool movers...

Hunch
2nd October 2011, 08:42 PM
Assuming the machine in question, transport will probably be the least of the cost worries, judging by interest. :wink:

A bit less than third of the quoted price got a machine loaded - and from one end of Sydney metro to the other. A smaller VMC ran 1300, non commercial rate, Melbourne to Sydney....be interested to see if anyone will do it for $3/400 though!

rascal
2nd October 2011, 09:03 PM
Hi matthew_g and everyone else,
I have been a lurker for ages and for my first post I thought I should choose a subject I know a bit about. I am a carrier with depots in Melbourne (Laverton North) and Adelaide (Regency Park). When I quote a job like the milling machine above, there are the things I allow for:
1. Is it packed for transport? - It must be on a skid/pallet so it can be handled with a forklift. 2 tonnes is a sensible load for normal forklifts to lift.
2. Can the sender load it onto a truck or deliver it to a depot?
3. Can the reciever unload it or pick it up from the depot?
4. Then my charges are -
Pick up or delivery Metro Melbourne $40.00
Melbourne Depot to Adelaide Depot $100.00
or Adelaide Depot to Melbourne Depot $60.00
Pick up or delivery Metro Adelaide $30.00
This is for a pallet space (1.2m x 1.2m on the floor or 1 tonne)
Add together which parts you need and then add Fuel Surcharge (currently 5.7%) and G.S.T.
This is if it is all straightforward.
In matthew_g's case, he will probably need a carrier in Sydney to pick it up, a carrier to get it to Melbourne, and a carrier to get it to a country carriers depot (this may be only one carrier if you find the right one). He also needs to select a carrier to get it from Melbourne to Bairnsdale (look on a website called WhoGoesWhere.com (http://www.whogoeswhere.com) and pick one who comes from your town)
Then if it gets more awkward, you may need a tailgate loader truck, to lower it to the ground or to pick it up if a forklift is not available. Most can handle 1 tonne, some up to 2 tonnes. Carriers often have these. After that we get to crane trucks and all terrain forks - most interstate carriers don't have these, but a country carrier may.
Finally, the more of this you can organise yourself, and the less trouble you can make it, the better chance you have of getting a reasonable rate and a satisfactory job done.
Regards,
John

matthew_g
3rd October 2011, 05:03 PM
I know the mill you guy's are talking about..And it's not the one I'm looking at..I am interested in a bridgeport in the Sydney area, But I think I will leave it for you NSW dwellers..It's cheap and comes with plenty of tooling apparently..Just go for a wander on GREYS ONLINE and you will find it.......
Thanks for all who responded, But I think due to freight cost's I will let it go and find one in VIC...

Really though what the hell am I gunna do with 3 mills???????????????????????
I'm just gready me thinks :)

Stustoys
3rd October 2011, 05:10 PM

Get some practice in on your forklift moving them about? :D

matthew_g
3rd October 2011, 05:14 PM
Get some practice in on your forklift moving them about? :D

In every group there is always a CLOWN:hpydans2:

PDW
3rd October 2011, 06:52 PM
I know the mill you guy's are talking about..And it's not the one I'm looking at..I am interested in a bridgeport in the Sydney area, But I think I will leave it for you NSW dwellers..It's cheap and comes with plenty of tooling apparently..Just go for a wander on GREYS ONLINE and you will find it.......
Thanks for all who responded, But I think due to freight cost's I will let it go and find one in VIC...

I'm just gready me thinks :)

Rubbish. I have 3 mills.

PDW