PDA

View Full Version : True turning.

RETIRED
2nd October 2011, 10:38 PM
Proper turning using the right tools correctly, no gimmicks.

Nearly the way I do them and nearly as fast.

woodturning a 5 minute spindle - YouTube

mkypenturner
3rd October 2011, 07:00 AM
wow thats amazing :2tsup::2tsup: and damn fast

Jim Carroll
3rd October 2011, 09:12 AM
Do like the double caliper idea, one less step in picking up and changing calipers.

RETIRED
3rd October 2011, 09:41 AM
Do like the double caliper idea, one less step in picking up and changing calipers.I wondered who else would pick that up.:)

wheelinround
3rd October 2011, 10:34 AM
Nice old lathe

Yep not bad wonder if he can do a bowl in 5 mins or is it just spindle production work he does. By the sounds of things with all the kids in the background he's still fairly young fit and healthy also.

Still looking forward to jim's and your video at least then they will be Aussie's doing the work.:;

Tim the Timber Turner
3rd October 2011, 11:00 AM

But , what about that flat top toolrest?:oo:

Imagin how fast he could do it if he used an approved type of toolrest.:2tsup:

Cheers

Tim:U

RETIRED
3rd October 2011, 11:35 AM
But , what about that flat top toolrest?:oo:

Imagin how fast he could do it if he used an approved type of toolrest.:2tsup:

Cheers

Tim:UThat toolrest is not bad as the main part is still vertical but I agree I like mine betterer, :wink::D

orraloon
3rd October 2011, 01:35 PM
Wonder how many you need to do to get up to that speed?
The thing I picked up on was he left the rest in place while he sanded. A case of he has the experience to get away with it but not something us weekenders should copy.
Regards
John

RETIRED
3rd October 2011, 03:21 PM
Video turning 1 of about 250 balusters. The spindles 2" x 24" of spanish cedar were paint grade, sanded to 120 grit. The job was completed in 1995. The average time to complete a cycle was 5 minutes. Every 10 balusters I took a short break and re-sharpened the tools, about 5 minutes. This resulted in a production of 10 balusters per hour.The explanation under the video.

Mulgabill
3rd October 2011, 05:44 PM

And he never even stopped for a cup of tea:D:;

Jim Carroll
3rd October 2011, 06:40 PM
And he never even stopped for a cup of tea:D:;

You have to clear the dust though Russell :rolleyes:

powderpost
3rd October 2011, 08:08 PM
Don't like the last process, should get a finish from the tools.
Jim

RETIRED
3rd October 2011, 08:46 PM
We actually sand to break the burnish and I would say he is too.

Richo12
3rd October 2011, 09:52 PM
Just as you teach us poor souls:U

RETIRED
3rd October 2011, 10:06 PM
Don't tell me you listen?:cool:

Richo12
3rd October 2011, 10:17 PM
Couldn't see past the smoke and tea leaves.:D

Jim Carroll
4th October 2011, 09:29 AM
We actually sand to break the burnish and I would say he is too.

That was a lesson I learnt very early in the peice with production turning, I thought I was very good at getting the burnished finish of the tools but the painters complained that the paint does not stick properly to the burnished finish, they had to rough up the wood.

They were pleased with nice crisp edges and clean lines but a 120g sanded finish is all they wanted .

Probably the one thing I noticed with his sanding is when he did the flats with the wide peice, it is good to do that in one go but it can leave heavy sanding lines which can be a bugga for painters my choice would be a bit half as wide so the dust gets away cleaner, as this is what puts more scratches in the peice.

Ed Reiss
7th October 2011, 11:45 AM

woodturning a 5 minute spindle - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiOmGzLKVtM&feature=related)

Awwwww...easy-peasy childs play!:D

NeilS
9th October 2011, 08:17 PM
I like that 'back of the gouge' method to check for round. The change in sound indicates that you have round. Very quick, and... no splinters in the hands...:)

Saw it first used by an old production turner when I was a kid. Haven't seen it used by anyone else, but then I don't get to see many spindle turners in action.

Works the same way for bowl blanks.