PDA

View Full Version : blank drying

coffenup
3rd October 2011, 10:14 PM
Howdy
just wondering if there is a need to let the turned pen blanks a resting time between turning & finishing as I have had one crack & 1 ca finish turn cloudy but the cloudy wan only on lower half of a twist pen:?:?
Regards Michael

eisbaer
3rd October 2011, 10:31 PM
This can be a problem with wet timber, and certain timbers that aren't necessarily very wet but have a tendency to move. Ebony is a good example.

I have had some success with drilling the pen blank, immersing in methylated spirits (the pure stuff, not the one that's half water) and leaving it for a few days. Pull it out, redrill (it will have shrunk a little) and turn. I did this for a few solomon ebony pens and not one has cracked. It seems to draw a lot of moisture out of wet blanks, but I wouldn't do it to open grained timbers because I think you'd end up with tinder dry wood, and that'll end up doing the opposite and absorbing moisture.

As for clouding, I don't have enough experience with that but if it is moisture on the surface that is causing it you could always rub down the pen with acetone first before sealing and finishing.

What was the timber that gave you the trouble?

coffenup
3rd October 2011, 10:35 PM
walnut from america turned both top & bottom at the same time & applied the ca
but only the lower half went cloudy
Regards Michael

eisbaer
3rd October 2011, 10:44 PM
Walnut has given me some problems before. I'd always hit it with sanding sealer first. Several coats, sand lightly between coats but make sure you get good coverage.

I just did a turkish walnut one and the first time the poly finish simply wouldn't cure. Sealed it up and tried again and all was well.