PDA

View Full Version : Thread chasing

Cliff Rogers
4th October 2011, 10:01 PM
There was/were some threads about this but I can't find a relevant one to add to so I'll start a new one.

A while back I got a 10TPI thread chaser from hughie (http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/7266-hughie/)

I had a bit of a play with it but I couldn't get it to work right.

Then, a couple of weeks ago Jim powderpost (http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/3621-powderpost/) asked me for some Dead Finish to try thread chasing.

Well, long story short, Jim has a book from (http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/84-/) with stuff written by Bill Jones (http://www.sandon-woodturners.co.uk/page12.htm) about thread chasing & he, Jim, being the patient bloke that he isn't, managed to get his set of 20TPI thread cutters working.

Anyway, I called past with a lump of dead finish yesterday & had a look at what he has been doing & today I called in again with a couple of hours to spare between jobs & I took my hughie 10TPI.
Jim sharpened it & had a play with it & then gave me a lesson, I cut an inside & an outside thread. :2tsup:

We'll get some pictures when Jim gets busy & finishes something worth taking a photo of. :D

powderpost
4th October 2011, 10:38 PM
Don't know if this qualifies as "worth photographing" but this is one of two boxes made this afternoon from the "dead finish". An excellent timber to cut threads on, and very pretty as well. 70mm high and 50mm diameter.
Jim

Cliff Rogers
4th October 2011, 11:38 PM
:2tsup:

Now all we need is for some smart asre to come along & ask where there are 9 threads in the lid & only 3 on the box. :D

hughie
5th October 2011, 12:08 AM
Cliff on small boxes your probably better off with a finer thread, the last lot were 16tpi .This number what the 'experts' recommend for guys like you and me who dont make many threads. Apparently when we get 'good' 20 or 26 tpi is the go :U

Cliff Rogers
5th October 2011, 08:46 AM
Let me know when you do another batch of 16TPI.

powderpost
5th October 2011, 09:11 AM
Hughie, 20 tpi is the recommended "normal" thread for beginners. More coarse threads have too much wood to remove and can lead to a high degree of frustration, also the number of suitable species is considerably reduced.
Jim

dai sensei
5th October 2011, 03:32 PM
Sounds all good to me :2tsup:

What speed did you thread at?

My lathe's slowest speed is 400, and to date I can't get my "hughie" working (it looks good though with its new handle :U), so I assumed my speed was just too high :?

Cliff Rogers
5th October 2011, 06:46 PM
Well, after he got 'proficient' at it on the EVS lathe... Jim moved to his belt change mini that he wants to take to Prossy & the slowest on it is 360 & he was able to start & turn 20TPI threads just fine.

I suspect it would be hard to learn at that speed.

Funny thing is, when he went back to the EVS lathe, he stuffed up the first thread while I was watching.... :doh:
I reckon it was 'cos he had the lathe too slow & was 'feeding' the tool too fast after spending a morning on the mini at 360RPM.
He reckons it was just because I was watching. :D

powderpost
5th October 2011, 08:14 PM
Love this thread chasing. This is the box completed under instruction from the Mountain man. Again, dead finish aka red lancewood, 90mm high x 60mm diameter. Lovely to turn and finish. Sanded 800# and polished with Ubeaut Tradwax. Just love the colours too.
Jim

Cliff Rogers
5th October 2011, 09:48 PM
Still haven't found my camera but it looks like I had better make an effort & see if we can get some better photos. :D

jefferson
5th October 2011, 09:53 PM
Alright, how do you do it?

I'm sure Jim will kiss and tell...... :D:D:D

Cliff Rogers
5th October 2011, 10:28 PM
You have some of that same tree in the stuff I gave you & Ken W a couple of years ago.... bloody beautiful stuff inside. Tea Lady has a bit of it too.

Jim will be giving very fast lessons at Prossy this year. :D

hughie has already posted a couple of links but I'll do it again.

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/prodimg/ms/pdf/MS-THRDCH.pdf

10 Steps To The Perfect Thread - The Woodworkers Institute (http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/page.asp?p=1359)

powderpost
5th October 2011, 10:50 PM
Alright, how do you do it?

I'm sure Jim will kiss and tell...... :D:D:D
:kissing: and slowly.... :D
jim

powderpost
5th October 2011, 10:53 PM
Still haven't found my camera but it looks like I had better make an effort & see if we can get some better photos. :D

Excellent idea
Jim

TTIT
5th October 2011, 10:56 PM
I'll put my name down for a quick lesson at Prossy now Jim :U If I get close to the mark, I'll put an order in with Hughie - having said that, I don't know where the hell I'll ever find time to tackle it once I get home :C

PS: Hey Cliff, why are there are 9 threads in the lid & only 3 on the box. ???:;

Cliff Rogers
5th October 2011, 11:07 PM
Easy.... that lid is meant for a different box. :D

Hey Vern, you got any more brigalow?

Tomorrow we are going to try some of the stuff you gave me a couple of years ago.... hopefully.

Sawdust Maker
6th October 2011, 07:21 AM
Even with the pp photography I can say, nice work gentlemen :2tsup:

watching with interest

A question: How long can an outside thread be chased

RETIRED
6th October 2011, 07:39 AM
A question: How long can an outside thread be chasedUntil you get tired? :whistling2:

Sawdust Maker
6th October 2011, 07:40 AM
:doh:

Allan at Wallan
6th October 2011, 08:55 AM
I'll put my name down for a quick lesson at Prossy now Jim :U If I get close to the mark, I'll put an order in with Hughie - having said that, I don't know where the hell I'll ever find time to tackle it once I get home :C

PS: Hey Cliff, why are there are 9 threads in the lid & only 3 on the box. ???:;

Vern, time is not something you find, it is something you make.:2tsup:

Allan

Cliff Rogers
8th October 2011, 10:24 AM
Here is a better pic of the last dead finish one.

We did a couple more for practice using different timbers but the results aren't worth a photo.

Jim did one out of Liechhardt & I did one out of Karri.

Tried a couple of different finishes on the Liechhardt & it looks good but needs buffing.
It also has a small ding in the lid 'cos it went for a 'six' off the bench when Donald Powderpost Bradman hit it with a handsaw. :doh:

The Karri isn't marvelous timber for thread cutting, good practice & interesting colour but to finish it well requires a lot of care & maybe some CA on the thread.

I dropped off a bit of Budgeroo, a big cracked lump of Burdekin Plum & a piece of Brigalow that I got from TTIT for Jim to try over the next couple of days.

Cliff Rogers
8th October 2011, 10:27 AM
I now have a 16TPI cutter on order with hughie. :2tsup:

TTIT
8th October 2011, 11:13 PM
........Hey Vern, you got any more brigalow?Not much in log form - all in boards for box-making (one day!) Pretty slack considering it is the most common timber found around here :B I'll have a look in the stack :;

Vern, time is not something you find, it is something you make.:2tsup:

AllanMade lot's of clocks and that didn't seem to help at all :shrug: Doesn't matter where it comes from Allan, there just isn't enough in my life :C

Ed Reiss
9th October 2011, 11:18 AM

hmmmmm...might have thought that the reason is in case you happen to gorilla the lid on :doh: