PDA

View Full Version : Help please with hand plane restoration

Pac man
4th October 2011, 11:09 PM
Can I get some assistance please with this plane resto. I follow the process described in Major Panics slides. As you can see it has brown staining on it. Would you normally remove this before refinishing and if so how?

bridger
5th October 2011, 04:51 AM
Can I get some assistance please with this plane resto. I follow the process described in Major Panics slides. As you can see it has brown staining on it. Would you normally remove this before refinishing and if so how?

assuming that the brown stain is rust i'd use electrolysis. do a google search for electrolysis rust removal. works very well, gets rid of all of the rust and doesn't affect the metal at all.

Orsomagno
5th October 2011, 08:52 AM
assuming you've already stripped the japanning off, the brown staining could be some flash rust. Using a good primer under the new coat of varnish will solve every doubt.

or maybe a rub of ballistol or similar will leave a more vintage surface... very cool looking in my opinion.

Pac man
5th October 2011, 09:14 AM
This stain or rust is post electrolysis including the removal of all Japanning. I didnt really want to do this but the previous owner had slapped paint over everything including brass and nickel plated surfaces and over the original japaning.

The mark on the front does not dissapear with a further go in the bath. the marks around the pitting do so its probabaly" flash rust"

MajorPanic
5th October 2011, 10:09 PM
If your worried I'd give it a lash with paint stripper & see how it goes.
I tend to; remove lose japaning, use electrolysis (day 1), wash clean, heat the body to remove any moisture, handle with gloves & spray as soon as possible (day 2).
This seems to keep any 'flash' rust at bay.

ac445ab
9th October 2011, 03:03 AM
Ciao,
that rust seems to me caused by a poor washing and heating after electrolysis process. You could try to use a metal wire brush for remove it and WD-40 for inhibiting its reformation before re-japanning the plane.

bridger
9th October 2011, 06:22 AM
I'd be concerned about wd inhibiting the japanning adhering. but then, me, I'd probably use paint. pull it out of the electrolysis tank, scrub it down, rinse it in HOT water, towel it off, use the blow gun to get water out of the cracks, heat it up to barely uncomfortable to touch for a few minutes, cool and immediately paint it. I guess I'm lazy that way....

Ciao,
that rust seems to me caused by a poor washing and heating after electrolysis process. You could try to use a metal wire brush for remove it and WD-40 for inhibiting its reformation before re-japanning the plane.

Virgil
9th October 2011, 07:21 AM
Some good info on plane restoration here:
RexMill.com Hand Planes 101 The Resource (http://home.comcast.net/~rexmill/planes101/planes101.htm)

Good luck and keep at it.

Cheers,
Virg.