PDA

View Full Version : 'Young Dragon Hiding' pyrography Finished

David Stanley
6th October 2011, 10:56 AM
This Project has been completed and posted, together with the article for 'Pyrography Magazine' based on the tutorial I had begun on my blog (http://www.whimsicalwood.blogspot.com) a little while back.

So in a couple of days I will post a completed version of the original tutorial on my blog for anyone interested.

Ironwood
6th October 2011, 11:09 AM
Thats an awesome bit of work, I love it.

Cliff Rogers
6th October 2011, 11:42 AM
:2tsup:

Jim Carroll
6th October 2011, 12:16 PM
Excellent work :2tsup:

crowie
6th October 2011, 04:48 PM
David, How did you get all the different colour on the picture, please? Cheers, Crowie

David Stanley
6th October 2011, 07:36 PM
Crowie, the colour is watercolour and coloured pencil. First the line work with the pyrography tool, then an underpainting in watercolour (very thin wash) using earth colours only, then the shading with the pyrography tool and lastly coloured pencil and the pyrography tool.

There is a more detailed step by step description on my blog, which has been a little interrupted but will be replaced in a couple of days with a re-worked step by step tutorial.

crowie
6th October 2011, 08:41 PM
Thank You David, That helps me understand how you made it look so good. Cheers.

Penqueen
9th October 2011, 09:51 PM
Wow this work has the WOW factor. :D I am definately interested in the tutorial as I have a grandson who loves dragons. :)

Marg.

hughie
13th October 2011, 10:19 AM
sigh.... here I thought I was doing real well with just getting my lines straight.

excellent stuff! :2tsup: I might have to practice a fair bit methinks....

dcooper
16th November 2011, 03:32 PM
Wow!! Now I know why I gave up my pitiful attempts at pyrography when I see work like this! Absolutely fantastic work! I feel like rushing out, getting the old Ironcore flashed up and giving it another go!

David Stanley
16th November 2011, 04:20 PM
I feel like rushing out, getting the old Ironcore flashed up and giving it another go!

You should definitely give it another go.

This particular pyrography work was intended as a step by step tutorial, which is posted on my blog and the pattern can be downloaded from my website (free). The step by step tutorial is to be published in print form in 'Pyrography magazine' which will be published early next year.

If you want to try the particular pattern shown and can make sense of my blog. Just download the pattern and have a go. Should you have any difficulty downloading the pattern or any other questions send me an email and I'll send the pattern in a form that you can use.

www.whimsicalwood.blogspot.com (http://www.whimsicalwood.blogspot.com)

www.whimsicalwood.com (http://www,whimsicalwood.com)

greyhound
17th November 2011, 01:32 PM
Great work well done look forward to getting the magazine

Robson Valley
21st November 2011, 09:15 AM
The design is exciting to look at. Many things to find.
Great technique with the color work.
Any aquarelle pencils there?

David Stanley
21st November 2011, 09:28 AM
Great technique with the color work.
Any aquarelle pencils there?

Thanks for the comments, I haven't tried aquarelle pencils. It's worth experimenting with, but I've found results are often unpredictable when the heat from the pyrography tool is one of the factors in obtaining the final tone and colour.

Most coloured pencils seem perfectly compatible with the pyrography but not all water colour pigments (only earth colours and in very thin washes). Water colour pencils?.. You'd have to try and see. Probably worth trying though.

Drillit
21st November 2011, 01:58 PM
Hello David,
Delighted to have seen you at work at Trend's open day. I am going to have a go at something less difficult however, using your techniques and colouring suggestions. Many thanks, regaqrds, John M.

Robson Valley
22nd November 2011, 04:35 AM
David: I suspect that the earth colors are mineral-based and much more heat stable than the chemically (organic) derived colors. I have aquarelles but don't have the bloody-minded curiosity to work with them very often. The water load in the brush is so critical.

wheelinround
22nd November 2011, 08:13 PM
I feel terrible I met David last year at Trend but just didn't connect the two as David was not on the forum then.

I made sure I spoke and watched him work from my perch across the way, seeing his work in real life is just amazing this dragon :o. His encouraging words well maybe on day I'll give it a try..I have burnt wood before usually in the fire though.:roll:

David am I correct did I notice something spilt on the Dragon??

David Stanley
22nd November 2011, 09:41 PM
'Robson', you are right earth colours are just that. However with the coloured pencils you seem to get away with it most of the time regardless of the nature of the pigment. Therefore logic seems best applied after you've blundered upon some empirical fact that works. I have some aquarelle pencils too but haven't tried them yet.

It was good to meet you 'Wheelin', at Trend Timbers the other day, thanks for the generous comments. Yes there did seem to be a small grease/oil stain on the unfinished version of the coloured dragon pyrography that appeared that day. Nothing to worry about, I did a few versions of this and I think I can fix the one mentioned, if I get around to it.