PDA

View Full Version : Nicknack Shelf

silentC
11th January 2005, 10:12 AM
Here's something I knocked up for my Mother in Law. It's to house her growing collection of little bears. She has a 6' wall unit for the big ones :eek:

It's made from Blackbutt. The boards were resawn from an 8 x 2 offcut that had a split up the middle, so the depth of the shelves were governed by what was left on either side of the split. The carcass is joined with finger joints. The angled ones on the 'roof' were an interesting problem.

The mitres in the base were cut with my trusty Makita LS1013 ;)

Finish is Scandanavian Oil and UBeaut Traditional Wax. The rosette is face-plate turned from a knotty piece of American Oak (I think). The trim across the front was scored on the tablesaw.

DaveInOz
11th January 2005, 10:41 AM
Excellent design silent.
One suggestion I would make is that you should have kept it very simple ... it is already full and she will want another one to match, sure it looks like a shelf but you seem to have made a rod for your back :D

Wongo
11th January 2005, 10:50 AM
Silent, you've done well mate. Very good. :)

silentC
11th January 2005, 10:57 AM
Excellent design silent.
One suggestion I would make is that you should have kept it very simple ... it is already full and she will want another one to match, sure it looks like a shelf but you seem to have made a rod for your back :D
I'll just knock the base off and go up another storey ;)

fxst
11th January 2005, 12:29 PM
Top job SC :D but if she is anything like my swmbo bear colletctor you may as well build another room for here as well :eek:
Pete

Harry72
11th January 2005, 06:38 PM
You know SWMBO would like you to make many more for the MIL as peace offerings!
How'd you work out the angled finger joints?
Very nice BTW

BobR
11th January 2005, 07:32 PM
Very nice. I like it.

Bob

graemet
11th January 2005, 07:49 PM
I'll just knock the base off and go up another storey ;) Better face up to it, Silent. Bear collectors just don't stop. You'll need more than another storey. My DIL had a room full of bears before she married my son, now she has a house full!
Cheers,
Graeme

silentC
12th January 2005, 08:27 AM
How'd you work out the angled finger joints?

I set a bevel guage to the angle and used it to cut the same angle on a short piece of 4x2. I screwed a bit of ply to the 4x2 on the angle which made a platform I could clamp the timber to. Then I set up the Incra for a box joint and used the platform to run the timber over the straight cutter at an angle. Had to fiddle a bit to get the depth right and had to make sure the fingers were extra long so they could be trimmed off at the right angle.

Zed
12th January 2005, 08:59 AM
there should be a rule against a bear display cabinet...

good work by the way - impressive.

AlexS
12th January 2005, 01:13 PM
Nice job, Silent, should put you in the good books for a while.

oges
12th January 2005, 01:35 PM
Theres a bear in there........ :D

Nicely done

sailingamerican
13th January 2005, 06:25 AM
Nice work, but it sounded like you knocked up your mother inlaw. Take out "for my" I love the cutural differences. I think you ment knocked out. The wife is an Aussie and keeps me in stiches. Knocked up here is getting here pregnent. Try one with out the molding on the botom. Yours looks nice but try a simple curve on the bottom of the end styles,with no cross member under the shelf. Simple looks great and does not take away from what is being displayed. My mother in law lives in Coffs. I made here several spoon racks. Back to the hobby shop. Richard

silentC
13th January 2005, 07:39 AM
I think you ment knocked out.

I assure you I meant 'knocked up'. Knocked out is what you get when you go a round or two with Kostya Tszyu. 'Knocked up' also means to get someone pregnant but context is everything. If you start taking words out of my sentences, then all warranties are null and void.

silentC
13th January 2005, 07:45 AM
BTW the reason for the base was to give it some weight and to make it less top-heavy. It's a freestanding shelf for the top of her chest of drawers, not to be hung on the wall. I agree that the base would be redundant on a wall hanging spoon rack or the like. Fortunately she doesn't collect spoons. ;)

AlexS
13th January 2005, 12:39 PM
Nice bears on the shelf..watch out for the bear behind :D

silentC
13th January 2005, 12:44 PM
That doesn't bear thinking about, have you seen my Mother in Law :eek:

;)

Glen Bridger
13th January 2005, 12:56 PM
Oh no these joke are too much to bear!

Silent C excellent job, the simple design is set off by the nice joinery.
If I had to make one for my kids teddy bears and beanie kids it would need to be the size of a house not just the shape.

Well done,

Glen.

journeyman Mick
13th January 2005, 03:19 PM
there should be a rule against a bear display cabinet....

You're just jealous it's not a chimp display cabinet! :p

Mick