PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Enclosures For Seas Drivers

Andyh77777
8th October 2011, 12:22 AM
Just curious to know if anyone has had experience building and using the Seas drivers that were sold by Len Wallis about 20 to 25 years ago. I've had a driver set in storage just waiting for a time when I could knock up a pair of enclosures. I feel the time is now or never.

GraemeCook
9th October 2011, 06:54 PM
Good Morning Andy

Seas speakers are really good and the current distributor for Australasia is HasAudio in New Zealand.
www.hasaudio.co.nz

Have a look at their website, quite a few enclosures and many links to Seas inspired websites. Lots of info out there.

Good Luck

Graeme

Zaphod
19th October 2011, 12:13 PM
Just curious to know if anyone has had experience building and using the Seas drivers that were sold by Len Wallis about 20 to 25 years ago. I've had a driver set in storage just waiting for a time when I could knock up a pair of enclosures. I feel the time is now or never.

The driver part numbers would be helpful. I trust you already have the crossover design? If not, this could be a can of worms.

Andyh77777
20th October 2011, 10:14 AM
The mid to low range drivers are marked:
P21RF/P H511 8 OHM Made in Norway 4/92

The tweeters are marked:
25 TAC/GW H 417-6ohm Made in Norway 3/92

So it appears they were made in 1992, not quite as old as I thought, but getting there.

I have the design of the cross over units (together with enclosures). It was developed by Ralph Waters when he was at the helm of Richter.

My problem relates to a specified enclosure internal dimension that is a little smaller than the outside diameter of the driver mounting flange. Someone may remember crossing this bridge in the past.

I wonder if Ralph can remember that far back? :music:

Zaphod
20th October 2011, 10:46 AM
The P21 was a pretty decent driver in it's day. I'll see if I can locate a suitable box volume and port size. You should mount the driver on the front of the box, not from the back. That should solve your problem.

Andyh77777
20th October 2011, 11:21 PM
Many thanks Zaphod. An alternate design could be helpful to compare with the design that I have, and which is supposed to be by Ralph Waters. It may give me the confidence to adopt the dimensions I have.

The design plan I have shows a box internal dimension of 207 mm. It also shows the driver flange to be considerably smaller than this, but in reality it is slightly lager (215 mm). This is the anomaly that concerns me.

Harry72
21st October 2011, 10:34 AM
The small overlap of the internal width is OK, in fact just about all slimline speakers are built like it.

Andyh77777
22nd October 2011, 07:08 PM
Yes, I’ll probably just ignore that the design drawing shows the driver flange fully within the inside planes of the enclosure sides.

The truth is my appreciation of sound quality would have been better served had I paid more attention to protecting my hearing from machinery noises over the years, rather than deliberating over a few mm of enclosure dimensions. :music: