PDA

View Full Version : One from my wife

eisbaer
8th October 2011, 08:32 PM
Hi everyone,

This pen is literally the 2nd one my wife has made, and she isn't a regular turner by any means.

Her first one was an African Blackwood due to the ease with which it turns. That one has been sold. This one is pink Tru-stone that she turned for her best friend's daughter.

She used a carbide tool start to finish after I gave her some instruction on the use of it. I'm thinking about teaching her how to use the skew next. For someone who isn't a turner, she has taken to it much better than I thought she would.

She'll kill me if she finds out I've posted this.... :rolleyes:

Pariss
8th October 2011, 08:42 PM
Now you've done it !!. You have infected your dear wife with this all consuming addiction. Congtatulations on the fine work, now go buy her, her very own lathe. :D:2tsup::2tsup:

Ironwood
8th October 2011, 08:50 PM
The form, and the fit and finish all look perfect.
Well done to your wife.

Penqueen
8th October 2011, 09:32 PM
I am sure you are safe from certain death however I can see your wife getting addicted to turning pens.....:D Trust me on this one, it's how I aquired the nic of Penqueen. :2tsup:

:2tsup: Your wife did a wonderful job on the pen. :2tsup: I reckon you should buy her a Jet Mini Lathe as they run like a dream machine. I call mine 'Jenavene the Jet Lathe' :2tsup: I hope to see more pens made by your wife as a member on here as she will be very welcome. :)
Marg.

cookie48
8th October 2011, 09:36 PM
That is one very cool pen. Looks like you have another turner in your house. Say bye bye to your shed now. I agree with Penqueen. Get her a lathe or you will never get to use yours.

Sawdust Maker
8th October 2011, 09:37 PM
Nice work that :2tsup:

I see the cunning plan
when does the new vicmarc arrive?

eisbaer
8th October 2011, 10:42 PM
Thanks everyone. No plans to get her a lathe or update mine yet. It's just good to have a partner who shows interest in something I like doing and is open minded enough to try it. As soon as she wants her own gear, I'll be happy to oblige.

Nai84
9th October 2011, 12:13 AM
Hey Eisbaer

That is one awesome pen I take my hat of to your wife well done on that one Eisbaer wife

Ian

Penqueen
9th October 2011, 08:49 PM
I know someone who after twenty years of wood turning had his wife ask him to teach her to turn.......now when they enter competitions together, sometimes she beats him....:D

Marg.

cookie48
9th October 2011, 10:31 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH female dominance again. He He you have to be careful now. Next thing you know you will be doing the dishes and your wife the pens.

Rum Pig
10th October 2011, 11:26 AM
Well done to your wife:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: that is a nice pink pen.
I'm truly scared for you now not only will she take over the lathe but she will tidy and try to organise your shed you will never be able to find anything again:o:doh::o You best take up knitting:D

munruben
10th October 2011, 08:23 PM
Nicely done, great looking pen.:2tsup:

Penqueen
10th October 2011, 10:53 PM
:laughing1:I just had to drop that one in there re someone I know teaching his wife to turn :q weg

They are both incredible woodturners and turn out some amazing stuff, very fine work....:)

Marg.:)

eisbaer
10th October 2011, 11:59 PM
If she keeps at it she will certainly be better than me. She has a knack for it that I don't have. I genuinely have to work hard at it to be able to turn anything halfway decent. My wife can just do it instinctively.

Penqueen
12th October 2011, 12:09 AM
Eisbaer, I hope your wife does keep turning pens ect and not so she gets to be better than you but I think it is wonderful that women are doing woodwork now.....

The bloke (from Ipswich club) who showed me how to turn a slimline pen told me that he liked to teach women to turn because they take notice...... he said that we women are more inclined to go easy and not rush things.... I know that I made 11 pens before I had a blowout. The timber was Yellow Malleee Burl and I was trying to get it finished...nearly did too then a huge chip parted and exposed the brass tube.... The next time I turned a burl pen, I was extra careful.....and the pen turned out great.

Keep turning and have fun.:)
Marg.

eisbaer
12th October 2011, 07:50 PM
Totally agree Marg. Kimberley has a gentle hand and I think once her confidence increases she will be great. We're in ipswich too strangely enough.

I'll get her to do a mallee burl next weekend. We joked about the fact that I've never mastered the ca finish technique and that she might be able to do it so I'm gonna let her give it a try. I'm gonna stick with lacquer dipping for now.

Penqueen
14th October 2011, 03:01 PM
Yeah I lived in Ipswich for two and a half years and was a club member there for around 18 months.
Due to chemical sensitivites I can't do the CA finish but I don't like shiny timber anyway. I use the pen wax sticks from Carbatec and they work well.
I hope your wife continues with her woodturning and yes she will gain confidence.
:)
Marg.

rustynail
14th October 2011, 04:16 PM
Over the years I have had the pleasure of training quite a few apprentices, some being the fairer sex. Without exception, they made better turners than any of the blokes. No hissy fits, eye for detail, artistic creativity, focus and a gentle touch. If only more women would grab a sharpened impliment and go into battle.

eisbaer
14th October 2011, 06:19 PM
Spot on rusty. The missus handled it all so well and with time she is gonna be great. Much more patient than any bloke I've taught.

Penqueen
15th October 2011, 09:06 PM
I reckon reading this thread with all the positive posts should help with the confidence. :)

Marg.

Dorno
21st October 2011, 07:45 PM
Well Done Mrs Eisbaer :2tsup:

Very Nice

Cheers Ian