PDA

View Full Version : Fabricated vs Cast Iron vices

ClintO
9th October 2011, 12:15 PM
I want to replace a bench vice with a new offset vice on a stand separate from my workbench as it is always in the way of what I want to do on the bench
Its just for general workshop use
I am curious as to the practical differences between fabricated vices and their cast iron cousins.
Are all iron vices made from SG iron?

morrisman
9th October 2011, 12:26 PM
All I can add to this is: I busted about four cheap Chinese cast vises in a short time , they crumble as if made from clay. A friend gave me and old DAWN 3" off set and its never looked like breaking.....it's tough . Mike

BobL
9th October 2011, 12:41 PM
A well made cast iron vice should be able to withstand greater punishment than a comparable size fabricated vice. OTOH cheap cast iron vices are probably less able to do this than cheap fabricated vices.

Unless you are going to pound the crap out of stuff on a vice on a regular basis then a decent fabricated vice will last a long time. I still have a 4" fabricated vice I bought as a kid in the 1960s and it is still in fair shape.

kraits
9th October 2011, 12:57 PM
Dawn do a cast and a fabricated offset as well as a stainless engineers vice, fabricated is cheaper then the cast by a couple of hundered dollars, that said the fabricated ones are just as good like Bob said he's had one for ever and it's still good. The main big difference i have noticed between the two is that a fabricated vice does have give/spring in it when alot of weight is put onto the screw, unlike a good quality cast body which has none (what you want). much easier to repair a fabricated vice if you ever need to.

texx
9th October 2011, 03:35 PM
if i was buying another vice i would be buying a fabricated one . i have broke an old 6" dawn cast vice in half .:-

Dave J
9th October 2011, 04:13 PM
Unless your going to spend big dollars on a new cast one, or pick up a good old used one, I wouldn't bother.

I have had a fabricated one that was made in Sydney for 26 years, and my uncle had it for 5 years before that. It's still going strong and only showing normal wear.

Dave