PDA

View Full Version : Beaten by the Glen

Pariss
9th October 2011, 06:14 PM
Hey everyone. Well, I hate to say it but I have totally given up on Glen20 as an activator. I spent most of today in the shed trying several different cans of Glen20, sprayed at variouse distances, all at the finest & shortest burst I could possibly manage, and all I succeded in doing was ruining 6 nice blanks. The finish was either murkey, or spattered in white spots here & there. Here is a Tiger Myrtle Jr Gent I managed to salvage. If you look around the centre Band area, you can see the remnants of a previouse attempt to activate with Glen20. I re-sanded the blank down as much as possible, but couldn't get it down at the ends as they were already at the correct size for the kit. You can see the difference between the murky Glen20 finish & the clear & bright MitreFix finish. Oh well, at least I can say I really gave it my best shot. :roll: I salute all you Master Pen Turners who have taken, and triumphed in the Glen20 phenomenum, ..........may the Force be with you :2tsup::rolleyes: :)

Grommett
9th October 2011, 07:37 PM
A shame, otherwise a really nice pen. I think I will use the Glen 20 for bowl work when it can be sanded out and save the expensive accelerator for pen work.

mkypenturner
9th October 2011, 08:04 PM
A shame, otherwise a really nice pen. I think I will use the Glen 20 for bowl work when it can be sanded out and save the expensive accelerator for pen work.
thats what ill be doing as well

cookie48
9th October 2011, 08:25 PM
Parris
Sorry to hear and see about your efforts with the Glen. Have bought a can but might just use it to cover the smells in my shed. ( I parp real bad)
Cookie

Rum Pig
10th October 2011, 11:18 AM
Parris
Sorry to hear and see about your efforts with the Glen. Have bought a can but might just use it to cover the smells in my shed. ( I parp real bad)
Cookie
Just turn some camphor laurel mush better than G20:U

Punchy
10th October 2011, 03:49 PM
Where are we going to get Mitre Fix now that David has decided to not sell it?

I am almost at the point of needing another can and I don't think I can be bothered with attempting the aroma route :rolleyes: having read all the posts over the last few weeks.

I_wanna_Shed
10th October 2011, 04:33 PM

Hi Grommett,

Do you use a CA finish on bowls? How do you apply it to a surface much larger than a pen?

Nathan.

Nai84
10th October 2011, 06:47 PM
Hey Parris

Sorry to hear about the wasted blanks mate, The pen still looks great even if it has the cloud around the band. So I might aswell give my can to my wife for the house is that you are saying dont waste your time

Ian

munruben
10th October 2011, 07:03 PM
You did a good job of salvaging the pen. looks great. :2tsup:

Grommett
11th October 2011, 06:22 PM
Hi Grommett,

Do you use a CA finish on bowls? How do you apply it to a surface much larger than a pen?

Nathan.

No, I use CA and sawdust to fill holes and cracks in bowls. The surface gets sanded down so no white bloom. I have concerns about using CA as a finish. I think you need to take great care with the fumes. When I use it it is with a fan going and plenty of cross ventilation, and if I have used a lot I go for a walk.

Treecycle
11th October 2011, 10:30 PM
Punchy, this is the one (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/item/hot-shot-qa-6-ncf-quick-accelerator) I use. Costs a bit, but I only use a tiny burst every couple of coats.

Big Shed
11th October 2011, 10:48 PM
Same here, can't beat the NCF IMHO, but yes, it isn't cheap.

Every now and again the Woodsmith has it on special and I buy a few cans.

benupton
12th October 2011, 04:53 PM
Where are we going to get Mitre Fix now that David has decided to not sell it?

I am almost at the point of needing another can and I don't think I can be bothered with attempting the aroma route :rolleyes: having read all the posts over the last few weeks.

You can still get it from Pen Kits, Craft & Timber Suppliers - PenKits, pen kit suppliers (http://www.043turning.com.au/index.php)

Pariss
12th October 2011, 10:06 PM
You can still get it from Pen Kits, Craft & Timber Suppliers - PenKits, pen kit suppliers (http://www.043turning.com.au/index.php)

Hey Bupton. I've just ordered a carton (6 pac) of Mitre Fix from the distributors, so I'm all set for at least the next year or so. I'm use to using Mitre Fix, and get terrific consistent results always. The only other finish I like to use is the EEE, Shellawax, & Traditional Wax. I really do appreciate David (Timberbits) for trying to save us tight ar$ed guys some hard earned money with the Glen 20 trick. I really must try Les's Minwax Polly technique, but with several hours drying time between coats, I'm afraid I lack the spare time + patience to go down that road just yet, and prefer the "instant gratification", that CA & Mitre Fix gives. Anyway, it's nice to have a variety of methods to use eh !!.

Punchy
14th October 2011, 09:21 AM
Thanks all for the info on NCF and Mitre Fix outlets.