PDA

View Full Version : Too spalted?

tea lady
10th October 2011, 09:48 AM
What do you reckon? :D A crotch piece of southern beech! The smallest bit there was on the side of the road. Couldn't get the rest the roll towards the car let alone INTO the car! :rolleyes: Been sitting around for a while.:D

bench1holio
10th October 2011, 10:03 AM
way too spalted !!! :no:

ill send my details and you can forward it on to me for further inspection :D

wheelinround
10th October 2011, 10:29 AM
AM Sue said the red fungi dyes well not sure about the other cut it off stick it in a sealed plastic container let me know when ready I'll send our postal address.

Best make those cuts 3" into the log all round at least.

To kill the spores and stop the rot getting worse microwave the log.

Lets see the inside.

Now where in Vic is the rest of the tree??

rsser
10th October 2011, 11:00 AM
Prob. have to operate to see what's inside.

US turners have access to soaking epoxy to stabilise spalted wood and from memory there's also a wood hardener around (may be the same thing). Small patches you can harden with CA. Uneven densities can lead to rippling when sanded.

hughie
10th October 2011, 12:14 PM
split it down the centre and fill the bad parts with CA and leave it to set over night, turn the next day

Greg Ward
10th October 2011, 12:37 PM
Maybe only the sapwood affected, true wood may be fine. As suggested, split down the centre and youi will soon see.
Greg

dai sensei
10th October 2011, 12:39 PM
You didn't mention this one at 's :no:

Should be fine, need to cut her open to see, but even if totally rotten it can be hardened. Could be really interesting.

Post some pics when opened.

dr4g0nfly
10th October 2011, 09:01 PM
How badly rotted is the undrside that's been against the ground, that should give you a clue as to what the inside is like.

Unless the heart has rotted out I reckon you'll get something stunning out of it either way.

So what are you thinking - 2 large crotch bowls or cut-up for smaller peices.

cookie48
10th October 2011, 09:05 PM
Have a crack at the mushies first. Then who cares what the rest looks like.

RETIRED
10th October 2011, 10:15 PM
Have a crack at the mushies first. Then who cares what the rest looks like.Spoken like a true child of the 60;s and 70's.:D Cool man.

Penqueen
10th October 2011, 10:26 PM
I would leave the beautiful log as it is and go find a burl :D..... I love fungi.....:)

Marg.

Waldo
10th October 2011, 10:52 PM
What do you reckon? :D A crotch piece of southern beech! The smallest bit there was on the side of the road. Couldn't get the rest the roll towards the car let alone INTO the car! :rolleyes: Been sitting around for a while.:D

:doh2: If you can't walk past a bit of tree sitting on the side of the road without having lustful thoughts about it there's nothing to be done to bring you back. :rolleyes:

tea lady
10th October 2011, 11:33 PM
Spoken like a true child of the 60;s and 70's.:D Cool man.So should I bring it to work tomorrow? :D

Avery
11th October 2011, 12:09 AM
:doh2: If you can't walk past a bit of tree sitting on the side of the road without having lustful thoughts about it there's nothing to be done to bring you back. :rolleyes:

Can you???

dr4g0nfly
11th October 2011, 04:52 AM
They've left home now but I used to screech to a halt and send my boys back to pick up whatever I'd seen by the side of the road and put it in the boot - how I miss 'em.

Nothing attracts like the sound of a chainsaw!

Ozkaban
11th October 2011, 09:25 AM

Looks very nice. Have you opened it up yet?!?

I'm surprised you didn't pop the bonnet and put the hazard lights on. Then when someone stops to ask if you're ok, ask 'em if they can help get these @!#$%!# logs into the car :D:2tsup::cool:

Cheers,
Dave

rsser
11th October 2011, 12:19 PM
Gee Dave, that's good thinking.

Time I packed a skirt in the car ;-}

wheelinround
12th October 2011, 04:11 PM
Gee Dave, that's good thinking.

Time I packed a skirt in the car ;-}

Yep people are sick of seeing you drive round naked Ern

tea lady
12th October 2011, 05:03 PM
Yep people are sick of seeing you drive round naked Ern
No wonder they were reluctant to stop and help! :doh: :D

tea lady
12th October 2011, 05:26 PM
Opened her up! :cool: Pretty! :U Doesn't seem spongy really. better turn her soon so she can dry out and not grow any more mushies! :D

Pat
12th October 2011, 05:53 PM
AM, cut them round on the bandy, spin them up, get the outside shape right, hollow out a tad and cover with what ever works for Mexico and leave for a while.

tea lady
12th October 2011, 06:00 PM
AM, cut them round on the bandy, spin them up, get the outside shape right, hollow out a tad and cover with what ever works for Mexico and leave for a while.
:DThat is the plan! :cool:

wheelinround
12th October 2011, 07:19 PM
Opened her up! :cool: Pretty! :U Doesn't seem spongy really. better turn her soon so she can dry out and not grow any more mushies! :D

AM dust mask using the BS and when turning, sanding is a MUST. Dusting down and cleaning up as well.

Now what happened to the mushies breakfast on toast or steak and mushies or Pizza with. Or did you decided to use them for dyeing yourself they could turn anything PURPLE maybe.

dr4g0nfly
12th October 2011, 07:35 PM
There is some loverly colouration poking through there already.

Waldo
12th October 2011, 08:00 PM

So did the Axe Wielding Bloke (he uses another term for bloke, but I won't call him that on account he's bigger than me :U ) wield the chainsaw there?

Sawdust Maker
12th October 2011, 08:03 PM
Should be interesting TL, keep us informed :2tsup:

RETIRED
12th October 2011, 08:05 PM
So did the Axe Wielding Bloke (he uses another term for bloke, but I won't call him that on account he's bigger than me :U ) wield the chainsaw there?I supervised another bloke doing it.:D

Waldo
12th October 2011, 08:07 PM
That's what lackeys are for. :2tsup:

Allan at Wallan
12th October 2011, 08:09 PM
Keep the wood stashed away for yourself T.L.
and give the funghi to (he is a real fun guy).:2tsup:

Allan

Kwors
12th October 2011, 11:24 PM
I have turned some VERY spalted wood in the past and found that even if it’s like cardboard you can still get it turned. Use a gouge to rough out the shape (this will leave a Very torn up surface) and then use a 60 grit sanding disk to clean it up and finish the shape (use a very light touch to stop the soft bits from cupping) then work up through the grits until you have a reasonable finish. I then use a product called wet rot wood hardener to steady thing up and then I can do the final finishing.
One more tip would be that as the wood might not be very strong be very careful as to how you mount it on the lathe (I have had one or two pieces come adrift at very inappropriate moments):o

Ed Reiss
13th October 2011, 12:24 PM
nothing a few gallons of CA cant cure :no::roll:

Paul39
13th October 2011, 12:40 PM
Beautiful piece.

I have stabilized slightly soft timber by soaking with cellulose sanding sealer.

I turn to within 3/8 inch of the final profile, apply liberally, let dry a couple of days, then proceed carefully with newly sharpened and honed tools.

If it starts to tear out, more sealer and dry, then sand, sand, sand.

I have also used CA and clear epoxy on smaller areas.

I love spalted timber, and think the result is worth the agony.

Nate Davey
14th October 2011, 11:51 AM
We have an elderly gent up here who takes wood like that, rough turns it then soaks it in a 50/50 mix of white glue and water for several days, then allows it to dry and returns. He says it turns beautifully and the white glue doesn't change wood color. Some great character in that wood, can't wait to see what you make with it.

Paul39
14th October 2011, 12:26 PM
Nate,

Welcome to the forum. Good idea about the white glue & water. I'll try that.

hughie
14th October 2011, 01:46 PM
[

white glue & water.

White glue?? PVA ? any way welcome aboard Nate :2tsup:

Nate Davey
15th October 2011, 07:59 AM
[

White glue?? PVA ? any way welcome aboard Nate :2tsup:
I use the white Elmers or Titebond glue, not sure what the name abroad would be.

dai sensei
15th October 2011, 11:49 AM
I doubt a 50/50 mix would penetrate far in green wood without vacuum, but would help with overall drying process.

Nate Davey
15th October 2011, 01:06 PM
I don't disagree with that. I've not tried it with green wood, only really punky wood.

hughie
16th October 2011, 11:14 AM
heres a chunk of Norfolk pine, do you think its too far gone with the spalting process? :U

Paul39
16th October 2011, 11:19 AM
heres a chunk of Norfolk pine, do you think its too far gone with the spalting process? :U

Naa, soak it in very thin polyester resin, let it set up, and turn.

hughie
16th October 2011, 12:45 PM
The void would take about half a litre of CA :U Its about 12" dia x 12" or so

turnerted
16th October 2011, 04:45 PM
paul39
I have thought about using diluted polyester resin on puky wood but was told by the suppliers that you can only dilute with 10% acetone . How much have you diluted it?
Ted

dai sensei
16th October 2011, 05:54 PM
If you do use PR, make sure the wood is completely dry, it does nort mix well with water/green wood.