PDA

View Full Version : Green woodworking, inc. pole lathe segments

rsser
10th October 2011, 10:37 AM
Brit vid for fans of old methods and tools:

ABC iview (http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/series/3331998)

Expires in 10 days.

Part of a series on mastercrafts; broadcasts in Melb. Thursday 6.30pm

RETIRED
10th October 2011, 12:54 PM
Bloody brilliant.

dai sensei
10th October 2011, 02:10 PM
Yep, watched the original when aired last week, really enjoyed it and looking forward to the other parts.

Mr Brush
10th October 2011, 02:29 PM
I also stumbled on the original show - excellent viewing.

Learned a lot, and it almost made me want to have a go myself.......:oo:

One consideration - I presume that the "shrinkosity" (if there is such a thing) for local timbers would be very different to the european species they were using? Hence the relative dimensions between peg and hole in the green state would vary quite a lot to get good tight-fitting joints.

Mr Brush
10th October 2011, 02:30 PM
I think the next episode is on thatching.......not quite so relevant to Oz !

Interesting viewing none the less.

Rattrap
10th October 2011, 06:07 PM
Bloody excellent show, really enjoyed it. Made me want to try out some green woodworking :2tsup::2tsup:

NCArcher
10th October 2011, 07:17 PM
This was discussed a couple of days ago here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f11/mastercrafts-142008/) .
Eddie drew our attention to this (http://www.rarechairs.com.au/) .
SWMBO and I have discussed it and a full 9 day course is to be my 50th birthday present. :D

dr4g0nfly
11th October 2011, 04:47 AM
I've had a go at Bodging (the Pole Lathe), the funny thing is you'd think your leg doing the pumping would ache, it's not, it's the leg your balancing on that goes first!

Rattrap
11th October 2011, 08:02 AM
The pole lathe they used on the show was 1 thing i didn't get. I realize the idea is to use primitive techniques to keep those skills alive however i would hate to try to turn on a lathe that changes direction every couple of seconds. A simple offset pulley & wheel as used in the old style treadle sewing machine would see the lathe spinning continuously in 1 direction but still human powered. I just don't see the pole lathe worthy of keeping alive!

powderpost
11th October 2011, 10:40 AM
Brilliant...
Jim

RETIRED
11th October 2011, 12:22 PM
The pole lathe they used on the show was 1 thing i didn't get. I realize the idea is to use primitive techniques to keep those skills alive however i would hate to try to turn on a lathe that changes direction every couple of seconds. A simple offset pulley & wheel as used in the old style treadle sewing machine would see the lathe spinning continuously in 1 direction but still human powered. I just don't see the pole lathe worthy of keeping alive!The old bodgers were nomadic in as much as they moved to where the timber was so portability was important.

I liked the comment from Charles about the industrial revolution.

hughie
11th October 2011, 12:33 PM

I liked the comment from Charles about the industrial revolution

:) yeah pretty well summed it up for me, I like my technology.

rsser
11th October 2011, 12:42 PM
It's now as then a question of fitness for purpose isn't it.

Do I recall correctly that 2 of the 3 participants could turn a tenon within 0.2mm tolerance?

And that would make a tight fit when it dried.