PDA

View Full Version : Talon lathe?

Chief Tiff
10th October 2011, 08:33 PM
Hi guys,

I'm being offered a "Talon" lathe by one of the guys at work, problem is he's not exactly sure what it is! From his description it sounds like a generic M900, has anybody ever come across this one before? I though Talon only made gardening tools....

Googling Talon Lathe only turns up the Oneway Talon lathe chuck.....

Avery
10th October 2011, 08:41 PM
I have never heard of a Talon lathe either, but I would guess if it has a cast iron bed then it is probably, as you say, an M900 clone in which case it could be OK. If it has square steel tubes for the bed it will be similar to the GMC and others that were very cheap and quite nasty.

Willy Nelson
10th October 2011, 11:59 PM
Geeez Thommo,
with all your seagoing pay and allowances, splash out and buy yourself a Vicmarc!
Okay, never heard of a Talon. But, it may be a good way to decide if turning is for you.
Offered = Money or free?

Cheers
Willy
Jarrahland

PS, Prawns are running here in WA, even Windy got 1.8kgs

vk4
11th October 2011, 09:57 AM
if it is an MC900, and has not had too much use & abuse then take-it, if he wants money for it
1 basic lathe $300 max,
These sell new from Carab-tec for around 450, and from Hare&Forbes about the same.

Jeff

issatree
11th October 2011, 10:06 AM
Hi Chief Tiff,
I agree with Willy N, Vic Marc 175 Would be the way to go.

Chief Tiff
11th October 2011, 06:42 PM
Geeez Thommo,
with all your seagoing pay and allowances, splash out and buy yourself a Vicmarc!

PS, Prawns are running here in WA, even Windy got 1.8kgs

Ha! All my spare(ish) folding has gone on a 4kw solar system and renovating the granny flat ready for the olds who are coming over next month.

The lathe is being offered free along with some chisels and with hardly any use (20 year olds don't have much of an attention span when it comes to hobbies!). It's in storage at the mo and he can't quite remember the brand but he does say it's too heavy to lift on his own and has its own stand which eliminates the GMC POS. Which I already have one of, gathering dust until I need a new anchor.

I already have a CT mini lathe for pen turning and smally spindle work but I'd like a slightly bigger lathe for knocking out some bowls.

re: the prawns I'm jealous! I do miss the weekly hunt.....

tea lady
11th October 2011, 08:20 PM
The lathe is being offered free along with some chisels and with hardly any use (20 year olds don't have much of an attention span when it comes to hobbies!). It's in storage at the mo and he can't quite remember the brand but he does say it's too heavy to lift on his own and has its own stand which eliminates the GMC POS. .
Sounds like the price is right then! :U

vk4
12th October 2011, 11:02 AM
I would take the Lathe , if it below average then you can always sell it on E-BAY, and split the money with your mate(GOOD KARMA) , :D:D

If it's an MC 900 or similar then you are on a winner ,:2tsup::2tsup:

turnerted
12th October 2011, 04:26 PM
Maybe it is a Tanner lathe which is a NewZealand lathe and would be worth chasing up .
Ted

Paul39
13th October 2011, 12:46 PM
Even a bad lathe will make a disk sander or buffer.

If it is too big to lift, it is worth doing some tinkering if it is not in working condition.

vk4
14th October 2011, 08:47 AM
If it is not suitable for you and it is not a DYNA-LINK 4 Speed type, The Mens' Shed down here at Petrie could be interested , :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Have you had a look at it yet???

Jeff
vk4