PDA

View Full Version : E.A Berg chisels/plane blade+bevel angel

Andreas87
11th October 2011, 05:17 AM
Hi all!

I have just bought 4 E.A Berg tang chisels, i was wondering if anyone has tried to achieve the lowest bevel angle possible on these types of chisels? In my case i will be using them as paring chisels (no hammer) on soft wood's mostly fir. they are 8mm, 8mm, 12mm and 14mm the last one is without side chamfers. I also got myself 1 plane blade with a chip breaker and 1 rebate plane, any advice on these?

Any advise is greatly appriciated!:U

IanW
11th October 2011, 10:27 AM
Andreas, my advise would be to just try it & see - you have nothing to lose apart from a half mm of edge, or so. If the edge gets too fine & wants to curl up or chip, just increase the bevel until you get an edge that lasts. If that's too steep for your purposes, try another chisel......

I have some lovely old BE socket chisel (New Haven Edge Tool Co.) that I sharpen with a very low bevel and use strictly for paring. Can't tell you exactly what the angle is, 'cause I don't measure it, but it would be somewhere around 20 deg. That gives a pretty fine edge, & I don't think you'd gain anything practical going below that (just my opinion, of course!).

A couple of my chisels are very hard, to the point they are a bit brittle, so I would certainly not whack them hard, but they stand up well enough under hand pressure & the occasional (gentle!) tap with a light mallet.

Cheers,