PDA

View Full Version : A natural edge?

sturina
11th October 2011, 10:02 PM
Hi guys

Just a question on natural edges and how to preserve them. I was playing with a peice of Sassafras (please correct me if I'm wrong). I was trying to preserve some of the natural edge. The blank was coated in wax when I bought it, how is it best to remove that from the natural edge without damaging it? I dont mind the darker timber but there are some white patched from the wax.

Thanks in advance

RETIRED
11th October 2011, 11:10 PM
I don't think it is sassafras.

Have no idea what it is but a nice bit of stuff all the same.

dr4g0nfly
12th October 2011, 03:07 AM
Things like our Pound Shops (your Dollar Stores) sell little sets of 3 brushes, One Plastic, One Brass wire and one Stainless Steel.

I use these to clean natural bark edges, never tried them in waxed wood but the brass one should remove all the surface wax and get into any unevenness.

I can't think anything will remove any wax that has penetrated the wood itself, but once you get it back just give it a damn good buffing.

Bruce White
12th October 2011, 11:11 AM
I purchased sassafras and leatherwood last time I was in tasmania - looks like leatherwood to me. Lovely to work with!

sturina
12th October 2011, 11:35 AM
It could be Bruce. The wood is from Tasmania. It was in a bunch I bought from another turner but have forgotten what he said it was. I only thought the Sassafras as it had SS written on the corner and it looked similar to a few pen blanks I have.

brendan stemp
12th October 2011, 01:05 PM
Why not Sassafras without the typical black heart. In other words Sassafras without the mould.

Anyhow, this doesn't help you with you're problem with the wax. What I would try is heating the wax (I would use my heat gun) and blot it with absorbent paper as it melts. Make sure to heat it with the waxy section of wood upside down so the melted wax doesn't penetrate further into the timber.

Paul39
14th October 2011, 01:56 AM
You might scrub with a wax solvent and tooth brush, held so that wax & solvent run off. Then blot dry.

If paraffin wax, mineral spirits might work, I know gasoline will. Do outside, away from open flame.

Harry72
14th October 2011, 05:22 PM
I reckon rub in some turps(not mineral)then hit it with a buff... its wax