PDA

View Full Version : Scrappers, skews

Babytoolman
12th January 2005, 03:29 PM
I am going to buy some tool blanks and i would like to know what type of scrappers and skew chisels people use. I have a round nose and a squared end scrapper. I have a square skew and an oval skew. I understand that the standard rectangle skew is the most simple to use.

any thoughts.

PAH1
12th January 2005, 06:57 PM
I am going to buy some tool blanks and i would like to know what type of scrappers and skew chisels people use. I have a round nose and a squared end scrapper. I have a square skew and an oval skew. I understand that the standard rectangle skew is the most simple to use.

any thoughts.
All depends on what you want to do with them. I just bought (ie arrived in the post tonight) two steel blanks. One for a small square end scraper for boxwork, the other a large bowl scraper. I only have the one skew currently and have not noticed any need for a square version of the same, perhaps a smaller version say 1/2" but not swapping to a square just for the heck of it.

smidsy
12th January 2005, 08:15 PM
I have two scrapers I made from carbatec supplied blanks.
One is 10mm wide with a standard rounded end, and the other is an inch wide with a flat end and the cutting edge running about 50mm up the left hand side of the scraper - this one is great for working the wides of bowls.
For both scrapers I simply copied the angle on the scraper in my carbatec set and they're the best scrapers I have.

I'm not sure I would bother making a skew unless it was a really oddball shape for a certain job. I have the 1 inch skew that came with my carbatec chisel set, and I bought a Hamlet half inch skew - for general turning these are all I need.

There is no rule to what chisels you should buy, work out what work you want to do and then get tools to suit.
Cheers
Paul

MathewA
13th January 2005, 12:05 PM
I have a 1/2" square end scraper, a 1/2" domed scraper, two 1 1/2" left and right skewed scrapers, and a 1 1/2" round end scraper. One 1/2" skew chisel and one 1 1/4" square end chisel.

MathewA
13th January 2005, 12:07 PM
Are you going to buy annealed tool steel and harden it yourself.