PDA

View Full Version : Aircond. in Stud Wall HELP!

ptrott
12th January 2005, 08:39 PM
I have to install an airconditioner in a stud wall (plaster inside, weatherboard o/side). the unit is wider than the stud spacing so I was intending to centrtalise the unit with the cut stud in the middle. Next I was intending to mark out the rectangle on the weatherborads, cut the hole, then remove the weatherboards including an extra one or two above and below the hole. I was then going to cut another 50mm from the top and bottom of the centre stud, and construct a box around the hole from 100 X50 jarrah, horizontally between the studs either side of the cut one, (top and bottom) and a vertical on either side between the two horizontals the I just fitted. That should give me a hole that is framed in 100X50 so I can nail the plaser onto it and the weatherboards also. (Then cut out the hole in the plaster flush with the box)
The aircon is reasonably heavy, so I was going to put two 75X50 cross pieces from stud to stud on the outside of the weaterboards just below and further below the unit on which to fit the two 90 degree brackets that take the weight of the unit. (This seems a bit untidy ??)
It seems like a long winded process so I am wondering if anyone has a better idea on how to do this.
Any help offered greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Phill.

Peter36
12th January 2005, 08:57 PM
Phill ,

Presuming that the aircon is going to sit on a shelf/platform , make this a little wider than 2 stud spacings and then you can fix the support brackets through the weather boards onto the studs either side of your opening without the need for the 2 75x50 jarrah cross pieces.

Peter:)

arms
13th January 2005, 08:22 PM
you really dont need to support the outside wall by braces as the weight of the air conditioner will be subject to shear force not tear force,e.g the weight will be forced in a downward direction by gravity not in a tilt direction by falling,the trick is to get a solid fixing into the weatherboards to support the platform and it will be ok

kind regards
tom armstrong
www.kitcheninabox.com.au (http://www.kitcheninabox.com.au)

Simmering
13th January 2005, 09:16 PM
Taking off the extra weatherboards above and below the cut hole could be a pain (especially if they are long).

I had a similar situation but did not locate the unit centrally over the cut stud, rather I located it firm up against an undisturbed stud which allowed that side of the unit to be securely fastened to it.

I also cut the hole in the plasterboard (though about 20mm smaller all round than the finished whole -- allows you to be less concerned about damaging the edge whilst still working and you can do the finish cut last). This allows you to work better inside the wall cavity.

I cut the outside hole to exact size and did not remove extra weatherboards. To replace the cut stud, I first fixed a new noggin (horizontally) between the adjacent (whole) stud and the cut stud top and bottom. This can be fastened with a builders adhesive (contact cement) and screws. Do this top and bottom. In a similar manner, insert a noggin top and bottom between the cut stud and the next stud which is hidden inside the wall cavity. By use of the adhesive and screws, you can bond this stud to the weatherboards and cut stud. To screw the noggin to the hidden stud, screw diagonally though the weatherboard, the noggin and into the hidden stud. You then simply have to place a new stud (vertically between the noggins located between the 'cut' and 'hidden' studs -- again glue and screw. In this way you have framed the unit.

The casing of the aircon unit is then screwed top, bottom and both sides to the framing......

If your unit is particularly large, you may still care to support it using metal brackets to the 'adjacent' stud and the 'cut' stud, though I did not and it is still true three years later (and in welcome use!)

Doing it this way means you do not have to disturb more weatherboards and whilst it may have sounded complicated, the job was all completed (including finishing off) in an afternoon.

I hope this gives you something to consider

Sturdee
14th January 2005, 04:34 PM
I cut the outside hole to exact size and did not remove extra weatherboards. To replace the cut stud, I first fixed a new noggin (horizontally) between the adjacent (whole) stud and the cut stud top and bottom. This can be fastened with a builders adhesive (contact cement) and screws. Do this top and bottom. In a similar manner, insert a noggin top and bottom between the cut stud and the next stud which is hidden inside the wall cavity. By use of the adhesive and screws, you can bond this stud to the weatherboards and cut stud. To screw the noggin to the hidden stud, screw diagonally though the weatherboard, the noggin and into the hidden stud. You then simply have to place a new stud (vertically between the noggins located between the 'cut' and 'hidden' studs -- again glue and screw. In this way you have framed the unit.

Whilst this may give you a box frame to nail the aircon to it does not appear to support the cut stud and the load it carries. This load will rest securely on the aircon. :(

When I did mine I removed as many boards as are necessary, boxed the opening with double studs giving a frame of 100 * 100 supported again at both sides with double studs and refixed the boards using flashings. Finally I cut the plaster to fit the opening. Bit more timber same amount of work and I can rest securely knowing nothing will move.

Peter.