PDA

View Full Version : Turning homemade laminates??

ozwaz09
14th October 2011, 11:47 PM
Hi All, I am a novice, but one with a bit of adventure! I have an idea to build my own turning material from sheets of veneer (glued and pressed together to form a laminate of different types and colours) and then turn into a bowl or platter.
I am intending to make a series of potential patterns by laying different veneers in different directions and different layers (either random or specific pattern).
Q. Is this easy to do? Are there any pitfalls or any clues or tips? What about grain direction?
I have trialled a small piece (about 5" square by approx 1" thick using 36 sheets of veneer) and compressed between 30mm thick particle board using 2 large G cramps. The result is very good, I think and works well with saw, plane and sanding disc.
Any suggestions, previous experiments or guidance would be very much appreciated.

wheelinround
15th October 2011, 09:54 AM
Try turning plywood same thing

here's a look at a how too and what you can get Plywood Turned Bowl | Mary Ostler (http://www.maryostler.com/2009/09/plywood-turned-bowl/)

tea lady
15th October 2011, 02:46 PM
Sounds interesting! :cool: Like micro segmented work. So where is the pic of your test piece? :D

ozwaz09
15th October 2011, 06:52 PM
Aaah! It looked good last night - then I left it in the car in the sun, to show a mate, now a few splits have appeared in it, along the line of veneer sheets.
Either I did not leave it cramped long enough, or I need to use a better glue.
But that's the point of doing a test piece, isn't it?
Great to see some feedback.

ozwaz09
15th October 2011, 06:57 PM
Yeah, that's the effect I am looking for! My thought is you make your own ply from veneer sheets. What do you think?

vk4
15th October 2011, 07:25 PM
I would look at buying / acquiring various different timbers, then with a good saw ,RE SAWING them to strips and building your blanks.

This will give you the variation you are after, but you will need a good saw / band saw capable of re sawing and a 6"joiner/planer thicknessner.

but it is an interesting and adventurous way to start.

Jeff

coffenup
15th October 2011, 08:03 PM
look up posts by powderpost to see laminated turnings
his work is inspiring
regards Michael

powderpost
15th October 2011, 08:24 PM
What glue did you use? How did you spread the glue? Gluing 36 sheets in one hit sounds to me to be too many. The glue may have started to set giving you dry joints. I would glue, probably six, leave for half an hour till the glue partially sets, then glue another six to the first lot and wait half an hour and so on, until you have the block completed in batches of six. When completed leave in the press for 24 hours to cure. There will be a lot of moisture in the laminate, it may take longer to cure properly.
There are lot of variables to consider.
Jim

joe greiner
15th October 2011, 10:58 PM
What he said, And 36 sheets in one inch doesn't leave much room for glue under so much compression. Gravity of a few pounds or kilos should be sufficient.

I'd also resist the temptation of stacking the sub-assemblies. DAMHIKT.

Cheers,
Joe

ozwaz09
15th October 2011, 11:28 PM
This help is great folks! I used plain PVA glue, diluted and painted on with a paint brush.
Next time I will probably use a better glue (is diluting it with water OK?) and as you have said - look at gluing only 6 sheets at a time and curing for at least 24 hrs. I guess it will be then Ok to glue sections together over time?

ozwaz09
15th October 2011, 11:29 PM
Ok, what does DAMHIKT mean? See I am a novice!!

Sturdee
16th October 2011, 03:49 AM
Ok, what does DAMHIKT mean? See I am a novice!!

DAMHIKT = Don't Ask Me How I Know iT. :D

Peter.

RETIRED
16th October 2011, 08:34 AM
Next time I will probably use a better glue (is diluting it with water OK?) and as you have said - look at gluing only 6 sheets at a time and curing for at least 24 hrs. I guess it will be then Ok to glue sections together over time?In my opinion: NO.

tea lady
16th October 2011, 10:39 AM
In my opinion: NO.What he said. You need all the glue. I would also consider using epoxy instead. A lot of wood expands ...... ALL wood expands with moisture, and you probably don't want the "creep" that can happen with PVA type glues.

Where are you getting your veneer? You must be getting it for free.:C I:D

powderpost
16th October 2011, 10:18 PM
No don't use diluted glue. That weakens the joint and introduces more moisture into the block. I would recommend you use Selleys "Tradesmans choice", it is a good quality PVA, and works well and sets harder than the standard PVA. The downside is that the block is almost the same as green or freshly cut timber. This will apply to all water based adhesives. Chemical adhesives, such as epoxies (araldite) are expensive and a pain in the bum to clean up, but will give you about an hour open assembly time.
Personally I would use the Tradesmans Choice and be patient.
Standard pva (aquadhere) is ok, but does suffer with "creep" at joints. It is better to apply the glue with a small paint roller.
Try gluing the assembly over a bent caul. You will end up with a curved blank, giving you a wave pattern in the finished product.
To prevent the slipping of the veneers, drive a small nail into the very corners, out of the way of the finished job.
Jim

ozwaz09
16th October 2011, 10:44 PM
Yeah Tea Lady, it comes from an organisation that has closed down leaving quite a lot of it. Lucky devil eh?
So, the plan would be to glue a small number of sheets at a time, using good quality glue, undiluted, rolled on with a small roller, cramped with not too much compression, leaving for a minimum of 24 hours. Maybe later getting a bit more adventurous and using a bent caul to construct curved blanks for fantastic effects. Sounds wonderful - but first I have to finish that wine rack I promised the missus! Thanks all for your inputs, will post again when I get around to doing it. Appreciate all the advise and help.

tea lady
17th October 2011, 08:42 AM
Yeah Tea Lady, it comes from an organisation that has closed down leaving quite a lot of it. Lucky devil eh?Yes lucky! :q But if you sell them make sure you price like you might have to buy more! :C:D
Maybe later getting a bit more adventurous and using a bent caul to construct curved blanks for fantastic effects.
:U That sounds really cool! Why not practice laminations on the wine stand! :cool::D