PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Stand -- Building

Simmering
13th January 2005, 12:00 AM
I am not (previously) a wood turner due to lack of ownership of a lathe. However, I have recently been given a lathe but without a decent stand.

From the limited turning I have done, I surmise that the stand needs to be solid, heavy and not prone to vibration. Having looked through various threads and followed links to some web sites, I've decided that I will build a stand that incorporates some drawers and storage (particluarly 'bottomless' drawer 'racks' to hold chisels without collecting shavings)

My question, apologies for the ignorance of a beginner, is at what height should the lathe ideally be?

My starting assumption is that the centre of the job (or perhaps tool rest height) should be at elbow height. Is this correct?

I am also about to purchase a dust collector for some other machinary. Are they able to be used effectively on a lathe? Could I include a dust extraction nozzle in a 'splash back' on the lathe stand to improve dust collection?

Thanks in anticipation

RETIRED
13th January 2005, 12:27 AM
I am not (previously) a wood turner due to lack of ownership of a lathe. However, I have recently been given a lathe but without a decent stand.

Welcome to the addiction and forum.

From the limited turning I have done, I surmise that the stand needs to be solid, heavy and not prone to vibration.

You surmised correctly.

Having looked through various threads and followed links to some web sites, I've decided that I will build a stand that incorporates some drawers and storage (particluarly 'bottomless' drawer 'racks' to hold chisels without collecting shavings)

I personally don't like drawers under lathes as it doesn't matter how careful you are or how well they are sealed you will accumulate shavings and dust in them.
My question, apologies for the ignorance of a beginner, is at what height should the lathe ideally be?

My starting assumption is that the centre of the job (or perhaps tool rest height) should be at elbow height. Is this correct?

Yes or a fraction above.

I am also about to purchase a dust collector for some other machinary. Are they able to be used effectively on a lathe?

Only for sanding dust. Once you learn how to turn correctly a dust extactor soon clogs with shavings.

Could I include a dust extraction nozzle in a 'splash back' on the lathe stand to improve dust collection?

I have seen this done but the closer you can get the nozzle to the work the better it works.

Thanks in anticipation

No probs. :D

Rowan
13th January 2005, 11:05 AM
Simmering as a fellow newbie to turning (who also got a freebie) my advice is

Run like hell before the bug bites....... :D :D

seriously though take all the advice u can from here. MOST of the people here will give u great advice mixed with some great humour accumulated from about 1000000 years of combined experience. When I started power carving a couple of years ago I think that without all the advice I got (most of it was "give up now") I probably wouldnt be as happy out in the shed as I am today.

at no stage should regular members of this forum take this message as thanks for thier assistance :p

Termite
13th January 2005, 12:28 PM
at no stage should regular members of this forum take this message as thanks for thier assistance :p
Wouldn't dare :D

To SIMMERING.
Best of luck mate. SWMBO has suggested on several occasions that I get a lathe but even though I'm still living down "Idiot Of The Year" last year, I'm not game to go down that track. A trip down the slippery slope of the "Dark Side" is enough for me. :D
:o They do look like a lot of fun though :eek: NO NO get thee behind me Delta, and you too Vic and Nova. :D

ps. On a serious note DarrylF is experimenting with a novel approach to shavings removal from a lathe. Suggest you PM him.

GC
13th January 2005, 08:52 PM
Hi Simmering,

Welcome to the addition.
I would love to see some photos of your progress and finished product as my lathe stand is getting closer to the top of the job list.

good luck

gc

Simmering
13th January 2005, 10:01 PM
Hi Simmering,

Welcome to the addition.
I would love to see some photos of your progress and finished product as my lathe stand is getting closer to the top of the job list.

good luck

gc
OK, I'll try to do that. I am still designing the lathe stand in my head as I paint the outside of the house! I hope to get the building of it to the top of my job list soon.

Meanwhile, thanks for the various comments everyone

Simmering
13th January 2005, 10:07 PM
I am also about to purchase a dust collector for some other machinary. Are they able to be used effectively on a lathe?

Only for sanding dust. Once you learn how to turn correctly a dust extactor soon clogs with shavings.

Could I include a dust extraction nozzle in a 'splash back' on the lathe stand to improve dust collection?

I have seen this done but the closer you can get the nozzle to the work the better it works.

Thanks for the comments .

I should have said that my intention is to include a cyclone before the dust collector to remove the 'bulk' of the material. If I included a dust extraction nozzle on the 'splash back', it sounds as if I'd also have to have it adjustable to ensure its closeness to the actual job.

As to the use of drawers under the lathe, it sounds as if I would have to limit these to ones which were without bottoms -- thus making them impossible to hold any dust, shavings, etc. These 'drawers' would have racksto hold the chisels and keep them nearby but safe from damage.

echnidna
13th January 2005, 10:12 PM
I have drawers in the cupboard under my lathe and they get a bit of dust in them, but not enough to worry about -
- unless you're a clean freak from the dark side. :D :D :D
But hey, true dark siders won't have motor driven lathes anyway!!! :p :p :p

Simmering
13th January 2005, 10:19 PM
It is good to know that I do not have the only workshop that is not free of dust !

I must admit, the drawers apeal to me as you can't have too much storage space - -particularly out of sight.

rsser
15th January 2005, 09:11 PM
The centre height of the lathe should be the same as your elbow, the elbow of your writing arm that is, when its hand is placed loosely on the opposite shoulder. Gospel according to St. Lignum.

Dust collectors are difficult to set up at the point of production of shavings (just watch where your shavings go while you turn a bowl for eg). Vacuuming the floor maybe (if they have bulk hp).

To deal with sanding dust, you need other devices.

sailingamerican
16th January 2005, 06:54 AM
Have you tried the wifes dining room tabe. Mine uses it for sewing. One day I but my small lathe on it for a joke. I stll hear about it.

smidsy
17th January 2005, 02:52 AM
So after you put the lathe on your wifes sewing table, were you in traction long and are the scars healing ok :D

Cheers
Paul