PDA

View Full Version : Very much a newbie :)

SandyC
18th October 2011, 11:37 AM
Hello Everyone, I'm just starting out. My hubby has been woodturning for about 18mth now, has a natural talent :) and this has given me an interest into trying pyrography. I have just purchased a pen with changeable nibs. What I need now is a teacher. can anyone advise me on one in the Brisbane area. There is talk of starting a class in my hubby's woodturning club, but nothing has come about as yet.
Looking forward to learning heaps.
Sandy

vk4
18th October 2011, 08:49 PM
Sandy,

are you north or south??
I am in the Kallangur area and we are members of the Caboolture club, there is a club at Redcliffe , which is very active with Pyrography.

Check with the wood turners assoc, they may be able to assist.

Jeff

SandyC
18th October 2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks Jeff, I'm on the North side, hubby belongs to the Redcliffe Woodturners Club is this the one you mean? I'll get him to ask around there :) I'm keen to start :)
Sandy

vk4
19th October 2011, 03:36 PM
Sandy ,

if Redcliffe don't have anything, and I believe they should .

Then Caboolture every MONDAY morning from 8am.

My wife and I are there every 2nd week, . As for machines , I am Looking at building my own ,with 2 independent out lets for 2hand pieces , with individual temp controls..

Jeff

SandyC
20th October 2011, 09:03 AM
Thanks again Jeff, we went to the Bribie Island Show yesterday, awesome works! several people there were very helpful. Hubby will ask tonight at Redcliffe. I picked up the machine I bought yesterday from a Electronic Engineer. I'll put a pic up and his discription later this morning. I find it excellent for me ( a beginner) I showed it to a person at the show yesterday and he was impressed with the weight of it ( light as) and it's safty fictures. I had a little play with it....just wish I knew what I was doing :)

SandyC
20th October 2011, 09:22 PM
This is the pen I bought and the description he gives. Really nice guy that knows his Electronic stuff, but admits he is not a pyrographer. I have his email address if anyone is interested. I would post a pic of what my very first attempt was, but it's very bad :(:D
Cheers.
Sandy

Edited..... sorry cost was $160

vk4
20th October 2011, 11:09 PM
Sandy,

I have seen these on E-BAY , I am interested to hear how they go :rolleyes:

I am building a dual pen unit for my wife and myself, the units on the market that have 2 pens do not allow for them to be used simultaneously ,and with different temp settings.

This is what I am building, 2 pens , use at the same time with independent temp control.

Just waiting for parts .

Jeff

SandyC
20th October 2011, 11:57 PM
Evening Jeff, may I suggest you talk to this guy (Tony) he's really clued up :) and I think the type of guy to give you good advice on building what you want :) I've been playing with the pen to get the feel of it, temp changes pretty quick when changed, and the pen is great for me being a woman, a male may like a thicker handle, not sure. It works really well. I cant wait to actually get into it. Hubby made enquiries tonight and two people where mentioned both away at the moment, my luck damn :) but at least I"m getting some info now.
Night for now,
Sandy

vk4
21st October 2011, 03:38 PM
Sandy,

I have looked at the machine that you have , My personal thoughts are it looks a bit light on?? HOWEVER that is only from a visual I have not seen the circuit board and transformer that are inside.

These are what count, most commercial; machines are bulkier , due to the large voltage transformer in side.

there are smaller transformers available and I would say that these are what he has used, It is the amperage that counts not the volts .

Jeff

SandyC
22nd October 2011, 01:20 PM
Well not knowing much about it I cant really comment, except to say he said it's not your average transformer, it is very light in weight, but the heating is spot on. I dont know what amp it is either. :D I did think being made by a electronic Engineer would be a good thing though, heres hoping I'm right. Time and experience will tell :D.
And I have found a teacher close by, she will be away for two weeks, then I start. So till then I'll keep practicing on different things in my book :wink:. I will keep you posted on my progress ..... I hope it's good.
Sandy.

SandyC
28th November 2011, 09:46 PM
Hi Jeff, I thought I would update you on my progress, what little there is :U
I have attached two photos, the Owl I did without any tuition at all, on a bit of ply board, the 'J' (on Jacaranda) was my first lesson with Diane, who thinks I may do ok :rolleyes: I have a long way to go, but love it !! my pen went well, three hours and not a problem. Diane said he had improved on them, from when she first saw them.
Hope you like my first little efforts.
Cheers,
Sandy

vk4
29th November 2011, 08:44 PM
looks good , with practice , you will be very good , just takes time.

My machine on the back burner at moment,

Jeff

munruben
29th November 2011, 08:54 PM
Pretty good for your first efforts. I am sure you will be great at it in time. Keep it up. :2tsup:

SandyC
29th November 2011, 09:11 PM
Thank you guys :) I was bit nervous putting up the photos, but I thought it will show how much I improve over time ...... thanks for the encouragement :U I have just started another Owl on a nice piece of Jacaranda, fingers crossed.
Cheers
Sandy

SandyC
30th November 2011, 11:45 PM
I'm a happy little pyrographer :D just did my third piece and can see the improvement after only one lesson, cant wait to show Diane, yes I know I have a longgggggggggggg way to go but it's nice to see the change. I still have to put on a matt clear vanish on all three pieces yet.
cheers
Sandy

SandyC
19th December 2011, 09:07 PM
Hi all, have done a bit of a touch up on the ones I have done, and there is a couple more I have done. Really loving it and learning. I'll be having more lesson in the new year.
I hope everyone has a great Xmas.
Cheers
Sandy.

SandyC
19th December 2011, 09:11 PM
pays to add the photos :)

Strungout
1st January 2012, 05:52 AM
They look great

Well done !

greyhound
5th January 2012, 07:25 PM
Well done they are great did you do the bar sign design or copy from a pattern

SandyC
6th January 2012, 11:35 AM
Hi greyhound, I did the lettering by stensil and copied the glass off a magazine :-
I have done another which I'll add now, I think I improve with each one, but cant wait till next week to get into classes :)
Thanks for the encouragement guys :D
Sandy

SandyC
12th January 2012, 01:45 PM
I have made this for my grandaughter's room. I can see the improvment with each one I do, still a long way to go, but I have joined the club and have two good mentors :)
Cheers
Sandy

SandyC
21st January 2012, 03:56 PM
A slight improvemnet I think?
Cheers
Sandy

kcam
26th January 2012, 04:00 PM
:2tsup::2tsup:

SandyC
27th January 2012, 04:25 PM
Hi guys I need some help, can you use any nib in your pen? I have bought nibs that iare a lot thicker wire than the ones I have, these are a skew and spoon shader, I have the wire type no brass end. :no: I don't know..............help please:B
Cheers,
Sandy

SandyC
5th February 2012, 11:36 AM
I got the nib problem sorted,I'm buying a razertip pen and adaptor :roll:

#11 added to file :U hope you like it and can see the slight improvements.
Cheers
Sandy

SandyC
6th March 2012, 12:58 PM
I have been busy practicing ...... a few more to look at.
Cheers
Sandy

kcam
6th March 2012, 02:27 PM
Well done Sandy! Your cat has come out looking pretty good and I like the way that you have used the timber grain for the eagle in flight :2tsup: Kerry

SandyC
6th March 2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks Kerry :U I missed one out..added :doh:
Sandy

kcam
6th March 2012, 03:59 PM
Not as good as the other three Sandy, feet and legs don't look quite right perhaps a bit more shading would help:D

Allan at Wallan
8th March 2012, 05:03 PM
Hi Sandy,

I rarely have a look in this section as I have never done pyrography
but have watched with envy as others do it.

Unfortunately I could not draw the head off a pimple with
a tin of Thars (old remedy), but appreciate the efforts of those
with a natural talent.

Keep up the excellent work.

Allan

SandyC
9th March 2012, 01:51 PM
Thanks Allan, I like to think I'm improving with each one. By the way I cant draw a straight line, but this I can do??? Have a go :2tsup:
Thanks
Sandy.

SandyC
12th March 2012, 11:57 AM
First time try on this kind of thing, I know I have left out a few things but over all concidering how hard it was, I'm quite pleased. :) learning learning :)

SandyC
2nd June 2012, 01:34 PM
Been a while since I added something :) I'm still loving it and learning with each piece I do.
cheers
Sandy

SandyC
2nd June 2012, 01:39 PM
Love this little fellow, visits a friends back yard daily :)
cheers
Sandy

KCH
15th June 2012, 06:01 PM
Hi Sandy
Time to start a new thread with your work on display, you are way past being a newbie.:2tsup:
Keep on posting your pictures please. Got me thinking I should get the camera out and post some of mine.
Regards
Kaye:)

SandyC
3rd July 2012, 12:17 PM
#2 Peregrine won the novice section at the Redcliffe Show, 4th out of 9 overall. I got really good feed back with it. I'm very happy with that for a first time out. I have taken advice on board and will now try something more challenging :) Next post will be as a intermediate :2tsup:
thanks everyone for your support and advice :)
Sandy