PDA

View Full Version : A Brick of a problem

George Metz
19th October 2011, 11:33 PM
Hi guys and gals, my questions are.... Is a solid brick the same as a fire brick?
Can I use a solid brick to construct a woodfired pizza oven?
Can normal mortar be used to bind the bricks?

I know, these questions have probably been asked a thousand times but I'm at a loss due to conflicting information from both brick "profesionals"

BobL
19th October 2011, 11:35 PM
The answer to all your questions is "No"

Using a normal solids and mortar will result in a very gritty pizza, some of the gritty pieces could be as large a brick :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th October 2011, 12:39 AM
BobL is spot on.

I have come across old bread & pizza ovens made from common red clay bricks... which were obviously well used way back when.

But the reason I know of them is 'cos I was called in to pull them down as they'd 'burnt out' and were unsafe.

'Nuff said?

George Metz
20th October 2011, 09:54 PM
Thanks guys, I'll use the proper fire bricks then.:2tsup:

I was speaking with a rep from Austral bricks and she said that everyone was using solid bricks for these pizza ovens and that they sell heaps of them for this purpose.:~

I got the same story from a fire brick salesperson. The difference was just over double the price.:o

I'm very fussy with food so thanks again.

joe greiner
20th October 2011, 10:06 PM
Be sure to use "refractory mortar" too. Brick supplier can supply or advise on recipe - sensitive to joint thickness.

Cheers,
Joe

Harry72
21st October 2011, 11:26 AM
All the "fire bricks" at work(metal refinery) are of the solid variety but they aint no normal everyday brick, we use two types.
For furnace burner chambers and low temp metal(up to 800°c)they use a white brick which are made with Moral clay, this is the type used for pizza ovens. The other type are used inside furnaces(1000°c+)so they are in direct contact with molten metal are a dark brown colour they are super heavy(about 7~8kg ea) and very brittle, god knows what they are made from as they laugh at a oxy flame... even a thermal lance has trouble cutting through them.

Here is some info on fire bricks (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/when-brick-brick-fire-brick-2480.html)

Look up Hanlon refractory supplies its where our masons get their gear.

BobL
21st October 2011, 12:25 PM
For furnace burner chambers and low temp metal(up to 800°c)they use a white brick which are made with Moral clay, this is the type used for pizza ovens. The other type are used inside furnaces(1000°c+)so they are in direct contact with molten metal are a dark brown colour they are super heavy(about 7~8kg ea) and very brittle, god knows what they are made from as they laugh at a oxy flame... even a thermal lance has trouble cutting through them..

Fire bricks have high temperature metal oxides added to them which is why they are heavy and why the laugh at Oxy's. Some natural clay's have these metal oxides already in them and bricks made from them fired to a higher temp can be used directly. There is one guy in Fremantle who sells pizza oven kits who was importing his fire bricks from Vietnam.

In WA there is a type of white solid brick that was used extensively in housing in the 60's/70's that made from white sand high in silica that can can also be used for pizza ovens without problems. Just behind my shed I have a stack of these bricks that I am "gunna" one day maybe turn these into a Pizza Oven. Meanwhile these brick come in real handy when I want to create a temporary mini-furnace like arrangement. I lay down a layer of 6 on a piece of steel plate and then stack them on top of each other to create a little oven like structure about the size of one brick. I was going to make a larger gas powered furnace out of these bricks but the shed is too small and it looks like turning into another gunna project.

tea lady
21st October 2011, 02:29 PM
You can use normal brick where the fire isn't going to directly contact! Only really need fire bricks for the bit the fire is sitting on and maybe the base of the flue! Pizza ovens aren't really supposed to be going up high enough to waurant fire bricks, but they will have hot spots.

Clay works in Dandenong in Melbourne has pizza ovens and stuff, as well as their pottery supplies.:cool:

Welcome to Clayworks Wood Fired Pizza Ovens - Australia's premiere woodfired pizza ovens and kits (http://www.clayworkswoodfiredovens.com.au/)