PDA

View Full Version : Another "Fernwood"

gawdelpus
21st October 2011, 09:02 PM
This a special gift ,so did a special blank from fernwood pressure cast with red acrylic to fill all the voids and holes in the material. Been a busy few weeks for me and not much time for playing around with pens ,apart from my run of the mill Market pens ,which I don't normally have time to photograph before they end up in stock.Ah well all good :)
Cheers ~ John
Its a Chrome Phoenix ( color is off a bit )

Nai84
21st October 2011, 11:48 PM
Hey John

That is an awesome looking pen mate well done love the colours they go well together, Its a good to hear that you have been bizzy :D

Ian

cookie48
22nd October 2011, 12:57 AM
Interesting pen. I like the blanks that have been done like yours. Puts another aspect to the timber. That is a nice looking kit allso. May I ask where you got it??
Cookie

gawdelpus
22nd October 2011, 02:48 AM
Interesting pen. I like the blanks that have been done like yours. Puts another aspect to the timber. That is a nice looking kit allso. May I ask where you got it??
Cookie

Kits are the Phoenix from "woodturningz" (http://www.woodturningz.com/Phoenix_Pen_Kits.aspx) interesting in that they taper from about 9/16"at the nib joiner down to about 31/32" at the clip end (thats about the size of the standard sierra bushes. It is a bit longer in the body as well ,but feels a good solid pen :)
Cheers ~ John

bench1holio
22nd October 2011, 11:04 AM
john that is a special looking pen, i love the look of the black with white, and the red just gives it that bit extra :2tsup:
its allways nice to have a bit of time to do some fancy ones :)

Ironwood
22nd October 2011, 12:26 PM
Looks good John, I am sure the recipient will be pleased with that one.

How is the refill changed on that pen, does it unscrew, or does it pull apart like the Sierra ?

I wish someone would redesign the Sierra, so that the bottom section unscrewed to change the refill. I reluctantly keep making them, because they sell well.

gawdelpus
22nd October 2011, 12:49 PM
Ironwood you can change the refill either way,pull apart like a standard sierra, or it unscrews just ahead of the fancy band , if you sell a lot of sierras these are the next class up I suspect . I like them as more material on show for the nicer blanks . I have yet to cast any blanks for them but I think will be good for embedded castings that need more meat on the body . Cheers ~ John

Perfect Pens
22nd October 2011, 10:28 PM
Very Nice as usual John :2tsup:

Cheers
Tony.

Pariss
23rd October 2011, 06:53 AM
Hey John. Great pen mate. I like the kit too, unusual design, and really shows off the blank well. :2tsup::U