PDA

View Full Version : A Slice of Pie! from Working with Wood Show

PenTurner
22nd October 2011, 05:42 PM
Managed to get down to the WWW show in Melbourne, had a great time looking with eyes all googled! purchased some pen blanks! well hope to be pen blanks. Met up with Jim Carroll, and then Neil-Dai Sensei, and also Mark from 043 Turning. Amos:)
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc466/WoodenInk/Blanks-Tasmanian%20Oak%20Burl/TasmanianOakBurl2.jpg
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc466/WoodenInk/Blanks-Tasmanian%20Oak%20Burl/TasmanianOakBurl1.jpg

Dorno
22nd October 2011, 06:56 PM
Nice Burl there Amos for what looks like a great price ? Its something I have to start doing and thats getting some different types of timbers for Blanks. I have plenty of nice blanks but find I could always do with a bit more variety and have no intention of buy just pen blanks I think you are always best to buy like you have.

cheers ian

Nai84
22nd October 2011, 08:18 PM
Hey Amos

WOW mate AWESOME piece of burl there mate cant wait to see the pens from that one

Ian

gawdelpus
22nd October 2011, 08:32 PM
Certainly got a gem there Amos, it's a wonder Neil (dai sensei) missed that one hehe,he usually has an eagle eye for the "good stuff" :), should get some beautiful pens from that indeed. Cheers ~ John

Pariss
23rd October 2011, 07:03 AM
Great score there Amos. Lucky Troy (mkypenturner) wasn't down that way. He would have spotted that peice at a thousand yards and stuffed it in his napsack ha ha :roll::D

munruben
23rd October 2011, 11:05 AM
Great looking piece.:2tsup:

bdar
23rd October 2011, 12:00 PM
Nice slice of pie Amos has a nice crust there for some worthless wood casting. Looking forward to seeing it evolve into a pen.

Cheers
Darren

cookie48
23rd October 2011, 01:46 PM
Amos.
That burl looks a bit faulty. Send it over to me for a look please.
Well done. Looking forward to seeing your handy work on some very nice looking timber.

Christos
23rd October 2011, 05:32 PM
Interesting.

PenTurner
23rd October 2011, 06:55 PM
If I sent it to you Cookie you would turn into a Monster and eat it!!!:):)Amos

HazzaB
23rd October 2011, 10:53 PM
Hey Amos,

Quite a few cracks in that piece mate, I don't think that you will get many good blanks out of it, :rolleyes:

Seriuosly really good find,

At the Perth Wood Show, Neal and Carla from Denmark had a couple of boxes of 'Bits ' that were a few dollars a piece, there were some really nice looking bits that I doidn't get a chance to grab:doh:, as I was working the whole weekend, but there wasn't many bits left on Sunday night during the packing up stage.( only fire wood)