PDA

View Full Version : Todays Little Effort

Perfect Pens
22nd October 2011, 10:24 PM
Hi All,

A little bit more effort than normal lets say !!
I started off with the Statesman Fountain Pen, what a very large but nice pen:rolleyes: Timber is Bois De Rose finished in CA.

Then I went on to the Roman Harvest rollerball, really pleased with how this one came out dressed in osage orange. Kinda two tone really :p

Then the fun started !! went onto the Jnr Gent preparing the dead finish blanks then got out the nice new shiny bushings purchased with the kits:? they would not fit the tubes:oo: so I turned them down to fit and then started turning :U turned all the blanks down to the bushings as normal finished in CA then went to assemble the pen and as you can probably see the bushings are also over size for the kit:doh: what a shame as the pen looks awesome, but I am not happy if they are not right:no:
Not sure what to do with it now:C

So that's the day that was!!
Cheers
Tony.

gawdelpus
22nd October 2011, 10:48 PM
Sounds like you ended up with the wrong bushes :( I have learnt not to trust bushes too much, some are loose on the mandrel and some are not concentric , Rather than loose your work you can dismantle and turn between centres or cones on a mandrel ,probably just sandpaper the ends to the correct dimensions and refinish ,better than scrapping them ,or you could drop them in to me and I can turn to size for you pretty quick hehe.
Apart from that you have done some nice pens there and certainly maintaining a high standard :) Cheers ~ John :2tsup::2tsup:

Pariss
23rd October 2011, 06:46 AM
I aggree with John's opinion, re- incorrect bushings were supplied with the kit. Are you able to dissasemble the pens ?. I never can as I always epoxy non moving pen parts in place. Anyway, the pens do look good, and will make a nice gift for a mate. :2tsup:

bdar
23rd October 2011, 10:14 AM
Guys there are to version of JR Gents, they originally started out like the ones that David sells, they became known as JR Gent version 1, the JR Gents that are sold through GPW are what is know as JR Gent version 2.

So if at some stage you have bought the version 2 the bushes will not fit. The version 2's have a bigger barrel size than the version 1. The best way to solve this problem is when you buy kits from a supplier buy a set of bushes for the pen, I keep them in old film canisters labeled with their names and supplier on them.

I may end up with extra sets of bushes for the one pen, if so I keep them as spares and just add the suppliers name to the canister. It solve the problem of thinking you have the wrong bushes for the pen of the same name.

Cheers
Darren

munruben
23rd October 2011, 11:04 AM
Nice looking pens all the same.:2tsup:

Perfect Pens
23rd October 2011, 04:13 PM
Guys there are to version of JR Gents, they originally started out like the ones that David sells, they became known as JR Gent version 1, the JR Gents that are sold through GPW are what is know as JR Gent version 2.

So if at some stage you have bought the version 2 the bushes will not fit. The version 2's have a bigger barrel size than the version 1. The best way to solve this problem is when you buy kits from a supplier buy a set of bushes for the pen, I keep them in old film canisters labeled with their names and supplier on them.

I may end up with extra sets of bushes for the one pen, if so I keep them as spares and just add the suppliers name to the canister. It solve the problem of thinking you have the wrong bushes for the pen of the same name.

Cheers
Darren

Darren,

Thanks for your comments, if you read the OP the bushings were purchased with the kits, go figure:? If I can purchase a good pen dismantling kit I should be able to get it apart for further work. Anybody got any suggestions on the best dismantling tools and the best place to to get them?

Cheers
Tony.

Cheers
Tony

gawdelpus
23rd October 2011, 04:48 PM
Tony ,the best pen disassembly tool is a set of transfer punches ,these are a collection of steel rods going up in size in 1/64th inch increments ,from about 1/16th inch to 1/2 inch . been a while but a search on ebay should turn some up fo you . I used to use the shank end of drills till I got some of these hehe.Cheers John :)

Perfect Pens
23rd October 2011, 09:40 PM
John,

Would I have to grind the points off the Transfer punches, or is there others that are flat with no point?? I thought there may have been a tool/s specially for the dismantling of pens.

Cheers
Tony.

gawdelpus
23rd October 2011, 10:53 PM
Tony the only tool for disassembly seems to consist of a couple of rods, I suspect for slimlines . With the transfer rods the points are only small leaving a shoulder you can use for a punch.with the range of sizes you can usually find one that is a slide in fit to knock the other end out, eg with a cap you get the closest fit you can to the inside of the thread ,hold the cap in your hand ,then a few sharp taps with a hammer will knock out the finial,then I find a bigger punch that fits the tube to knock out the centre band ,most disassembly is a variation on this theme :) The ones that don't work with this approach are tenon joints as there is nothing to grip ( mainly biros with these fittings ) hope that helps a bit ,cheers ~ John

PenTurner
23rd October 2011, 11:01 PM
What a pity, you did a beautiful job, it does sound like the wrong bushings.When I assemble now, I always use some BLO inside the tube , it helps if you want to dismantle for any reason, and also helps to get the fittings on a little easier (not so much force). Amos:):2tsup: