PDA

View Full Version : Gwen 12 Plan

mark dunstan
23rd October 2011, 08:34 PM
I recenty joined wodwork forum. Like many of you I once sailed a Gwen 12 in Victoria and would like to build another even though the Association has folded. I was lucky enough to get a set of plans from the last secretary of the Gwen 12 ass of vic. I understand that the plans were owned by the state associations who sold them. The state associations no longer exist and I would be pleased to share these with people at NO cost My only wish is that there is so much interest in the Gwen that a few of us oldies might be able to keep track of each other and reform the association. I would be happy to act as a focal point in the first instant
Mark

Still Smilin'
27th October 2011, 09:05 PM
I'd love to have a set, Mark. I was owner/caretaker of a Gwen for the best part of 30 years and have now moved on. It remains a part of me though and I'd like to torment myself about building another. I'll happily reimburse you in some way to cover costs etc.....Can you copy and post?

Peter

cmidgley
17th November 2011, 06:44 AM
Mark - Would also be interested in getting a group together with an interest in Gwens. Have one down here in SW Victoria that we take out with the kids in between cutting out the rot! - also doing up an old 14ft. clinker from Leiston in England that ended up here in Australia as part of an estate - then ended up in the kids playground as a sandpit in a lapse of sanity, but thought better of it recently and dug it out last nonth -- am getting the clinker and the Gwen out on Portland harbour and out of Port Fairy and Warrnambool over the summer. I am keen to organise a festival of wooden dinghys down this way - perhaps next year...

whathappened
25th November 2011, 02:59 PM
could i suggest not giving these plans away for free. you will spend your life printing and mailing plans to people who never quite get around to building. A quick search tells me there are heaps of free plans around for anything and everything but i dont know of many being built. I would suggest charging a nominal fee and using funds to support the class - maybe to re-start the association. anyway just my $0.02

Kaztas
12th September 2012, 10:37 PM
I'm trying to restore a Gwen 12 that has been donated to our boat shed in George Town, Tasmania. Would live to be able to get a set if plans if possible as trying to do it from photos

damian
13th September 2012, 02:02 PM
I'd pay for a set.

Xanthorrhoeas
7th November 2012, 09:14 PM
In the 1960's I sailed a beautiful Gwen 12 with polished topsides and white hull on Lake Burley Griffin in Canberra. There were quite a fleet of them. Wonderful boats and lots of fun. My father bought me the boat but I always had a mate, Pip Hoyle, skipper it as I enjoyed the trapeze so much. Best high I had as a teenager! Good luck getting an association together, I have moved on to more sedate electric river boats here in Brisbane.

swaf19
23rd November 2012, 12:45 PM
I recenty joined wodwork forum. Like many of you I once sailed a Gwen 12 in Victoria and would like to build another even though the Association has folded. I was lucky enough to get a set of plans from the last secretary of the Gwen 12 ass of vic. I understand that the plans were owned by the state associations who sold them. The state associations no longer exist and I would be pleased to share these with people at NO cost My only wish is that there is so much interest in the Gwen that a few of us oldies might be able to keep track of each other and reform the association. I would be happy to act as a focal point in the first instant
Mark

Hi Mark, it seems as if there is a bit of interest in restoring old Gwens.
I have recently got hold of an unfinished hull from the 1950's 60's. All hull frames are there but it needs deck farmes then pywood.
If you are able to provide a copy of the plans please it would be most appreciated. Happy to pay for cost of printing and postage.
Project located in Hampton.
Stephen

Bill2
19th December 2012, 01:59 PM
Hi Mark,

I'm a new user to this forum, hope this will reach you, I also would be very interested in plans of the Gwen 12, after having one 1958 - 64 sailing the Brisbane river and Morton bay, Qld., fortunately I'm a retired builder , have grandchildren that I can teach boatbuilding, and sailing.
my email address is [email protected]
please advise any cost incured for these plans.
Regards, Bill Fenwick

mmixsetup
18th March 2013, 08:55 PM
Hi there back about 20 years ago a bloke I met at the Cairns yacht club had a Gwen 12. He won all open class races back then. I was envious as I was in a slow full timber Heron. I live in Tasmania and would like to teach my children how to sail. I think this would be the perfect yacht to teach them.
If I could get a copy off you it would be greatly appreciated.
my email is [email protected]
please advise me of any cost for these plans.
Regards, Michael Belden

billrule
23rd March 2013, 01:18 AM
Wouldn't it be great to get a group together to build one of these..they look great, and have already proven themselves quite convincingly.

MichaelT
26th March 2013, 01:05 PM
Mark
Mark,
Please put me down as keen to pay for a set. I unfortunately tick boxes both as frustrated woodworker and sailor...

Thanks,
Michael - Brisbane

cantanga
8th January 2016, 03:04 PM
I know it's a very old thread and I doubt there is any chance of a response from the OP (especially since they haven't had any activity since 2011), but would any one have gotten a set they could copy and share? Happy to pay if need be.

percy seadog
14th March 2016, 04:12 PM
Just came across this old thread and note there is no reference to Charlie Cunningham who if I remember correctly designed the Gwen 12 along with quick cat (spelling), manta, yvonne and many others including Little Americas' cup boats. Recall looking through a lot of plans at his place in I think Mordiallic when picking up a boat kit. The Gwen 12 was a great boat, kite up and out on the trap in a strong breeze. Gwens and Rainbows used to duel a lot on inland Victorian dams, Eppalock and Waranga basin come to mind.

Mobyturns
14th March 2016, 10:18 PM
This is an old thread but it brings back many memories of my early days at the Cairns Sailing Club starting off in two up Sabots with a neighbour Darryl Beattie who went on to make a bit of a name for himself in sailing.

I see Peter has a comment above, but back in 2011, and was a pretty good Gwen skipper himself. I had a Wright trainer a local craft which was essentially an 11' flattie but ran a ballon kite with no trapeze. We could give the Gwens a run for their money in the right conditions. :wink:

Chris 249
21st March 2016, 03:39 PM
I know it's a very old thread and I doubt there is any chance of a response from the OP (especially since they haven't had any activity since 2011), but would any one have gotten a set they could copy and share? Happy to pay if need be.

I haven't got a set of plans, but I do have the photocopy of an article on how to build a Gwen, written by my dad who was the first NSW champ. I'm in Ainslie and work in Civic.

b.o.a.t.
27th March 2016, 11:40 PM
Care to post a scan of them here Chris?

Aquila2
13th April 2016, 11:03 AM
Hi Mark,I would like to take you up on your offer of a set of plans for the Gwen, we had one as kids and was a fantastic boat to sail and would like our kids the oppurtunity to sail one as well, we would be happy to keep track of other gwen sailors

Dom

Keith S
20th July 2021, 04:42 PM
I am interested in restoring a Gwen 12. If anyone has one they want a good home for please let me know. Separately I downloaded recently the plans for a Gwen 12, if I remember correctly they came from Ian Oughtred. I have saved them and if anyone wants a copy let me know and I'll email them on.

Keith S
20th July 2021, 04:55 PM
There is a Gwen 12 group on Facebook Log into Facebook | Facebook (https://touch.facebook.com/groups/662866717119859/?ref=group_browse) you might be interested in.

Pearo
20th July 2021, 08:19 PM
Well that's a thread revival if I have ever seen one.

I spent a good chunk of my childhood sailing Gwen 12's. The first boat I ever bough using my pocket money was a Gwen 12. The guy I bought it off (still a good friend) gave it to me for next to nothing!