PDA

View Full Version : Seeking skilled pyrographer or engraver in Adelaide

WendyH
25th October 2011, 12:38 AM
Greetings - We have a non-permanent ink signature on the back of a varnished ukulele that we would dearly love to preserve. We are looking to find a highly skilled pyrographer or wood engraver in Adelaide who would be happy to do this for us - willing to pay, of course. We'd love to hear from anyone interested (or if you have any other techniques that may be more suitable for the job at hand - all my knowledge has come from just a short time browsing this excellent forum). Many thanks in anticipation, Wendy :)

David Stanley
25th October 2011, 02:14 PM
Just a thought – Pyrography may not be the way to go if the article is already varnished. The varnish might have to be removed in the area where the signature would go and this of course would remove the signature. In fact, as most possible methods would require this, and because the said signature will be only represented, not actual, you will need to carefully photograph the signature, both to show what is involved and to act as a pattern for its replacement.

Then you might consider the application of a fretted veneer version or' if there is sufficient depth in the timber an inlaid signature. Check the scroll saw people for this. Then again some sort of computer assisted laser tool might do the job in spite of the varnish.

It sounds like it could be a technical sort of job so think in terms of technical means. The applied veneer or inlay however would certainly look stylish and then you would need a more craftsman like means to bring it about.

WendyH
25th October 2011, 05:25 PM
Hi David. Thank you so much for your ideas. I have done some further research on the techniques you have mentioned and have found a company here in Adelaide who should be able to scan and touch-up the signature before laser-engraving on the existing surface. I really appreciate your advice. Wendy

P.S. I came across your work whilst browsing yesterday and was blown away! Just magnificent.