PDA

View Full Version : Router problem

pfisher
14th January 2005, 03:40 PM
I have a Stanley H-13-B router that I wish to use wiyh my router table. The depth of the cutter is set by winding the motor up or down as it is threaded and when the desired height is obtained there is a screw thatsupposedly loks the setting. My problem is that no matter how hard I tighten this screw the torque of the motor allows the body of the router to unwind and therby changes the depth. Is there anyone who has experienced this and can suggest what I should do to prevent this occuring.

Gumby
14th January 2005, 04:23 PM
I'm not sure I get this exactly but can't you put a hook arrangement on it to stop it rotating. Make one from some solid wire like a coat hanger. It wouldn't need to be that strong as it only has to stop the rotation.

Jon
17th January 2005, 11:21 AM
I think I sort of understand. Could you remove the screw and put a nut onto it and then replace the screw? Once you have the depth set, tighten the screw and then tighten the nut back against the body of the router as a lock nut.
Does seem a very clumsy arrangement. Does it give you good fine depth control (as long as it doesn'y unscew)?

Jon

pfisher
19th January 2005, 11:37 AM
The body of the router has a thread for some 4 inches from the where bit is fitted. The base is screwed on to the body and very fine adjustments can be achieved. On the side of the base is an unusual locking device. Suffice to say the part that locks into the body has a thread that one lines up with the thread on the body. The result is that in essence the base is being clamped to the body along the thread. This problem has not arisen when the router is used as a hand held machine.

The suggestion of wire would not work because it is the body that is moving and there is nothing to tie wire to.

Soren
19th January 2005, 02:19 PM
..................... The result is that in essence the base is being clamped to the body along the thread. This problem has not arisen when the router is used as a hand held machine. .

I have the same router, and since acquiring the Triton router, have dedicated this router to 'hand-held' mode only.

As you can all see from the attached pics, the only solution appears to maybe affix a thin piece of 'rubber' or something along these lines to the inside of the nut, clamping onto the router body.

I have not had any problems with this router whilst in 'table' mode, but I did have to use a pair of pliers to actually tighten the screw, once the desired hight was set.

Hope this help both you and others in maybe providing a better solution

regards

Soren

vsquizz
19th January 2005, 11:38 PM
Thread Tape (Gas fitters) ??

Cheers

scooter
20th January 2005, 12:18 AM
Have read this before as a problem on US BBs, maybe a google group search could turn up something useful. I think some other manufacurers of fixed base routers use the same setup for depth adjustment so the problem isn't isolated to your model.

Cheers..........Sean