PDA

View Full Version : Another Museum Piece - A Klaiber Surface Grinder

Anorak Bob
28th October 2011, 07:13 AM
Again from the Deutsches Museum. At only 1.5m high, this would be a nice addition to the small backyard workshop. Shame it's not my backyard.:no: The workhead elevating handwheel was the only non tethered feed. I was amazed at the smoothness of it's action. Typical German engineering.

BT

Abratool
28th October 2011, 10:13 AM
Again from the Deutsches Museum. At only 1.5m high, this would be a nice addition to the small backyard workshop. Shame it's not my backyard.:no: The workhead elevating handwheel was the only non tethered feed. I was amazed at the smoothness of it's action. Typical German engineering.

BT
Thanks Bob for the photos.
I have never seen this version of a surface grinder, namely a Cup grinding wheel & a Plain grinding wheel on the same machine.
Could be very useful for initial metal removal with the Cup wheel, index head, then use the Plain wheel for finish grinding :2tsup:
Check if you can bring it home. Promise them that it will go to a good home & they may consider ! :roll:
regards
Bruce

Stustoys
28th October 2011, 10:14 AM
Hi BT,
Looks just like mine, Only better lol

Just a couple of questions :wink:
"non tethered feed"?
Would I be right in assuming the motor is rotated 90 degrees to operate the horizontal spindle?
The bed can be moved vertically off the base? independent of the column?

Thanks

Stuart

Anorak Bob
29th October 2011, 04:17 AM
Stu,

The non tethered comment refered to the lack of hobbling as is evident on the table feed handwheels. It would have been necessary to prevent overzealous handling by the ignorant.

I was in too much of a hurry to take the one thousand photos in my two day allocated to the museum to study the intimate workings of every machine so sadly I failed to observe the workings of this one.:no: Like you I will have to make assumptions regarding it's operation.

BT

Stustoys
29th October 2011, 10:17 AM
Hi BT,
No worries, I understand completely, I've just been looking at your Waldrich Siegen factory photos thread again and realised I completely missed the "square turning lathes" (and I dont have the excuse that I was in a rush).

Thank you for your efforts to show us some of these machines.

Stuart

SC_RUFCTR
31st October 2011, 02:36 AM
That's a very nice looking machine. It wouldn't mind that for my tiny workshop. :wink: